Running Advice please!

Options
Hi,

I recently started running and had to stop training due to shin splints. I competed in a 5 mile run and then rested for a whole month.....however upon returning to training the pain has returned and I am in agony! I think I have found a solution for this pain now however.

But my main big question is what do I do now? Today I went out and did a 2 mile jog/walk and it took me 38 minutes....A week Sunday I am supposed to be doing a 5k run. I am wondering what is best?

Do I leave my training at the same distance and pace I did today?
Do I leave it as the same distance but try to improve the time?
Do I try to increase the distance per run to get closer to the 5k?

All help and advice is massively appreciated as I am really unsure on what is best to do next!

Replies

• kmc979
    kmc979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but it seems like you are doing too much too soon. You need to slowly increase your distance. People train for a 5K just as people train for a marathon, just differently obviously. If you need to walk part of the 5K that is fine, I did a 5K a month ago and I certainly was unable to run the whole thing when the team was formed but guess what, I had a blast! Now I am training for a 5k in the fall that I am determined to run the whole thing, time be damned.
  • Magic_Cherries
    Options
    I am running/walking that is my entire plan....I just need to know where to go next....when i say increase my distance it would be 0.3 of a mile. Im tempted to just go out n see how i do with a 5k distance time wise etc.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    What's best is to not injure yourself! :tongue: I agree that it sounds like you're trying to do too much too soon. Slow down, stick with the run/walk intervals (c25k program is great for this - lots of free apps for it), and don't try to increase distance or speed too quickly. Take a day off in between runs as well to let your muscles rest.

On race day, think of it as just another training day, but with a whole bunch of people in a fun atmosphere! Every 5k race I've ever run has had runners of all abilities, ages, sizes, speeds, etc - and LOTS of people who walk and run as needed. The point is to have fun and to cross that finish line, which you should have no problem doing. :smile:

Don't get caught up in the excitement of the crowd and take off too quickly - easy to do. Hang back and go slow, let all the bunnies pass you. Likely you'll be passing a lot of them within the first mile. Just go slow, walk when you need to, and save some for the last run to the finish line. And have fun!
  • cinebibliophile
    cinebibliophile Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Couple of questions --

How old are your sneakers? Are they made for running?

Do you "heel strike" when you run?

Heel striking used to give me wicked shin splints. Over time, I changed my running style - I am now a mid foot striker which keeps the shin splints from coming back. I also walk / run intervals.

I also agree that you may be going out too far too fast too soon. If you're not following a specific training plan, please look into Couch to 5K -- it has a gradual increase that is good for beginners or people who have health issues (meaning the shin splints).

Good luck!
  • Magic_Cherries
    Options
    I have relatively new trainers that were measured for me when i brought them. I cant do the 5k plans as i find myself stopping before time is up etc even though I know i can run further.

Anyway, I am not worrying about the pains im simply looking for what I should do next as the next plan not what im going to do tomorrow. I go 2/3 times a week so im not over doing it in that respect. I just simply want to know whether distance or speed is where i should look to alter.

Thanks for all responses so far
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh I responded to your wall post but I didn;t realize you had taken so much time off. I know you were battling this for a while but knew you had gotten up to pretty high mileage. i would say add mileage more slowly and stick with a slow, comfy pace. Pick a pace where it feels like you could run forever and go with it, even if its just a few beats above walking. get your mileage back up to where it was, build and then you will definitely feel yourself get speedier naturally.

As for the race; if you feel comfortable and running pain free, I would say just listen to your body and run it where you feel comfortable, maybe even get a bit uncomfy at the end if you feel ready.
  • Magic_Cherries
    Options
    Thank you! Got a set plan now :)