Burning / ache Muscles

Options
Ok i know this is probably a silly question.. but i have never been in shape and never really worked out until now.

How long does it take for your muscles to get used to the exercises? Elliptical specifically... like in a few weeks or month can i start to count on not being super sore and ache after workouts? I dream of a day when i can just go at the eliptical or running for 30 minutes an hour without wanting to stop because my legs hurt so much.

Do you muscles ever stop burning when working out?

Replies

• sassymanatee
    sassymanatee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I had this problem when I first started running. It turned out to be because of low levels of potassium so I just eat a banana before a workout. My pain disappeared the first day I started doing that.
  • Paradox1985
    Paradox1985 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So feeling like your muscles are burning while working out isn't because im just really out of shape? I looked at low potassium side effects and another one is numing in fingers and toes, and when i work out my toes start tingling after 10-15 minutes too.
  • katey1240
    katey1240 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Know the difference between "pain" and "discomfort". Pain is an actual physical problem that would lead you to believe you've possibly injured yourself. If your muscles are on fire because you haven't exercised in a while, that's a good thing. That's a lactic acid build up. In order to make gains in the exercise room, you HAVE TO STIMULATE THE MUSCLES. If you just go through the motions without challenging yourself, you might as well stay home. Don't give up. It will get easier, but that's because your brain will finally tell your muscles, "hey, muscles...there's a new Sheriff in town, and he's gonna whip you into shape. I'm in charge now, and you will do what I say!!!" You will become stronger, more flexible, and you will see visible results in the mirror. Keep it up!

Also, just a suggestion, but I wouldn't eat anything before a workout unless you think you'll pass out if you don't. Try to workout on an empty stomach, or at least with your most recent meal two hours prior. The body burns carbs/glucose first because it's the most efficient form of fuel to break down. If you load up on carbs (even fruit) before you workout, your body will burn the carbs from the food first, instead of the glucose in your cells. Once the carbs from the food have been used, then it attacks the cell glucose, and only when the cell glucose is gone does it start to use the fat stores (the second more desirable form of fuel for the body to use). Go straight for the cells and empty 'em out!!! Then after about 15-20 minutes, you will be in fat-burning mode. Good luck!
  • katey1240
    katey1240 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    P.S. - when I work out on the elliptical, I also get the tingling in my toes after about 25-30 minutes. So you're normal. I think its from positioning. If you get on the treadmill and exercise and DON'T experience any tingling, I wouldn't stress out about it.