I think I screwed up the 30 day shred

Options
So last week I did the first three days of the shred, I was sore as hell everywhere (not complaining, I know it's good) but I had to take Sunday and Saturday off because of my work. I couldn't do it. The soreness went away and I did the workout again last night but today wasn't sore at all :O that worries me, maybe it didn't have any impact on my body.

Also I am not losing ANY weight at all. When I started using MFP last month I dropped 9.5 lbs and since starting the shred last week I'm stuck right there in 169 (was 178ish before). I'm eating between 1,200-1,400 calories everyday, that's what made me drop the weight at first and I'm wasn't even starving! But now I hit a plateau ever since starting the shred! Even those two days I stopped working out I didn't lose nor gain.

Another question, how effective are these Fitness Blender workouts?

http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/full-length-workouts/?str=&time_min=&time_max=&cal_min=&cal_max=&difficulty[]=3&type[]=3f

I was thinking about maybe adding 10-15 more extra minutes of cardio at the end of the shred using those videos as a guide...

thank you :smile: :smile:

Replies

• levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Just a few things:

Exercise doesn't cause weightloss, your diet does.

It's also only been what, 6 days? Give it some time, be consistent. Rest days from exercise are okay, but always log your food as
    accurately as you can.

Soreness is not a good indication that it's "working," like you indicated. DOMS happen when your body is unfamiliar with a movement. Even lifting very heavy weights, your level of soreness will go down as you get stronger.

If you keep it up, you will see results. The 30 day shred seems to be popular, but it's not a guaranteed workout to lose weight. Find an activity you like and do it 3-4 times a week while keeping a modest calorie deficit.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens when you burn more calories than you consume. 30DS is a great HIIT workout.

Also, weight loss isn't linear. I think most people tend to lose a lot of weight in the beginning due to water wight and the number starts to slow down afterwards. Keep at it or a month and make sure to take Before and after pics to compare. The scale can be deceptive.
  • enn_jay
    enn_jay Posts: 16
    Options
    I just measured myself and it seems that I actually lost half an inch from my belly already, whoa!

I've been obsessively weighting myself, more than 5 times a day. I know it's not a good idea but I just do it. Maybe buying the scale was a mistake.

I even have a scale for my food so I can log as accurately as I can.

Thank you
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    The scale for your food is a good idea, but weighing yourself obsessively is not. My weight can fluctuate for days and days, and then all of a sudden the weight finally comes off. I have driven myself nuts bothering with this crap! I finally had enough, and recently hid the scale in a cabinet, that is 'til my 2yo dragged it out to play around n weigh his self, lol. When you are building muscle, you will typically lose inches, and not weight, because the muscle gain and fat loss tend to balance out when it comes to the scale. It is a good thing, trust me! Congratulations on losing 1/2 an inch, you should be proud!!! Stick with it, even when that beeotch of a scale seems to tell you you're failing. Just give it the finger, like I do. Hahaha!
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Having the scale for weighing your food is a good idea. Weighing on your bathroom scale 5 times a day, NOT a good idea. Many things can contribute to fluctuation in weight so choose one day and time to weigh consistently each week, preferably first thing in the morning on whatever day you choose.

Gosh, there are so many factors that could be at play here. Just remember to be consistent in whatever you do. Continue to work your exercise plan and as someone else mentioned, you lose weight in the kitchen...or at least weight loss begins in the kitchen so ensure you record everything that goes into your body.

Keep at it and be patient.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I just measured myself and it seems that I actually lost half an inch from my belly already, whoa!

I've been obsessively weighting myself, more than 5 times a day. I know it's not a good idea but I just do it. Maybe buying the scale was a mistake.

I even have a scale for my food so I can log as accurately as I can.

Thank you

You "just" got a scale (based on your posting history). You need to give it longer than 2-4 days of consistently weighing and logging everything you eat and drink for results.
  • sassynkp
    sassynkp Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Do measurements. I find that I lose inches when the scale doesn't move much.