Losing inches but not weight

Options
So I just measure myself and I've only lost 0.1 pounds but I've lost a bunch of inches in the hips and waist. Is this normal?

Replies

• dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    That tells me you are building muscle to replace the fat. Sounds all good to me.
  • becomingbeautifultoday
    becomingbeautifultoday Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, so you're losing fat, and building muscle right now. Means you'll get smaller, but remain the same weight. You'll start dropping pounds soon, but be focused on your measurements more.
  • tack2900
    tack2900 Posts: 1
    Options
    Absolutely. Muscle weighs more than fat, so when you lose mass of fat and build muscle it creates a gain and loss. The inches of flab going away is better than seeing a lower number on scale.
  • chilly1470
    chilly1470 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have had initial weight loss in my first three weeks of around 11 lbs, but what really impressed me was my pants falling down! haha, seriously, my big shirts are getting baggy. With just 11 lbs?? apparently so. I don't mind at all.
  • deathbyokapi
    deathbyokapi Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Totally normal!

Like others have said, it just means you're losing your fat, and replacing it with muscle. If you continue on this path, you'll probably also lose some weight, but don't stress about it too much. Just make sure you're eating right and drinking lots of water, and you'll be golden.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    A pound of rocks weighs the same as a pound of feathers.

Weight loss is not linear, so measurements & photos will show you your progress even when the scale is being a lying liar who lies.

The Sexypants post should be required reading for all MFPers: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You're almost certainly NOT losing fat and gaining muscle. Most likely you've lost some fat and taken on a little water weight to offset that. Don't worry much about the scale. Measurements and how you look in the mirror are good indicators.
  • jennalennafur
    jennalennafur Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm having the opposite problem! Lost ten pounds and still no inches. :C Sure the scale says i'm skinnier...But I don't feel skinnier.

My advice to you, would be to just focus on those inches! That's what you see n the mirror after all!
  • Sie_Con
    Sie_Con Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    hey, that's the measurement people actually SEE, so that's great! Means you're looking more trim and getting stronger.
    A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat, so you're getting smaller and your metabolism is almost certainly improving. Weight loss off the scale will come soon! Keep up the great work!!