Why am I more hungry

Options
emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
On a lower carb eating plan?? I am still eating the same if not more calories and am doing a 40 40 20 plan so it's not very low carb.

I expected to be LESS hungry as had thought protein and fat were more satiating so am perplexed as to why I'm so much hungrier.

This is day three of the new plan. Day one was a breeze but days two and three I've wanted to chew my arm off!

Replies

• lafilledelarue
    lafilledelarue Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising more?
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Maybe it has something to do with the calories your lacking?
  • watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the science behind it, but my experience on a lower carb diet wasn't that good. For the short period of time I did it, I think less than a week, I felt anxious and hungry most of the time.

I guess you could give it some more time and see if your body adjusts, or if you are losing weight too fast maybe increase calories slightly and see if that helps. If that doesn't work you might need to find a different maco ratio balance that works better for you.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    In another post you mention this plan and that you are using 1200 calories as your goal. You also seem to be a runner, and mention weighing roughly 45kg (99lbs).

1200 calories could be why you are hungry. Meat and fats are filling but so are carbs, especially fiber. I don't follow low carb but I thought those that do needed to track net carbs (total carbs - fiber = net carbs).

You also in one post mention weighing 50 kg (110lbs). You are not over weight in anyway, so may I ask why are you eating at such a deficient. Hopefully you are eating your exercise calories back and at least netting 1200 calories.

Not being judgmental, but you should really be eating at maintenance, or even bulking slightly and looking to add lean body mass. Your post history lately seems unhealthy when all the info is put together.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    I am not eating at a deficit. My intake has been medically determined re medication I am on. I have switched macros to gain muscle and am eating at a surplus relative to my metabolic rate taking into account the impact of the medication. There's no way in hell I want to lose weight am trying to at least maintain and gain some muscle. I have in addition dropped most cardio and now do predominantly strength training.

Oh and I am definitely not a runner I am a swimmer.
  • watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am not eating at a deficit. My intake has been medically determined re medication I am on. I have switched macros to gain muscle and am eating at a surplus relative to my metabolic rate taking into account the impact of the medication. There's no way in hell I want to lose weight am trying to at least maintain and gain some muscle. I have in addition dropped most cardio and now do predominantly strength training.

That's good, maybe try posting in the maintaining or gaining weight sections instead of the weight loss to avoid any confusion. I just finished a bulk not long ago, it was really good. You should try eating more carbs for energy and enjoy the food and gains. I found ratios to be a bit useless myself, I instead aimed to eat 1g of protein per lb of lbm weight, about 0.3-0.5g of fat per lb of body weight and the rest carbs or a combination of c/p/f.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    On a lower carb eating plan?? I am still eating the same if not more calories and am doing a 40 40 20 plan so it's not very low carb.

I expected to be LESS hungry as had thought protein and fat were more satiating so am perplexed as to why I'm so much hungrier.

This is day three of the new plan. Day one was a breeze but days two and three I've wanted to chew my arm off!

Maybe it's not really hunger. Maybe it's just a run-of-the-mill craving. Day 3 is really too early to judge. When I did low carb a while back, it took about 2-3 weeks before those cravings subsided.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    could be cravings, could be hunger. i have type 2 diabetes and i eat 6 small meals per day - 1 every 2.5 hours. when i eat very low carb meals, my blood sugar drops to just pre-meal level about half an hour to 45 minutes earlier than it does when i eat a meal including a limited amount of complex carbs, and that does lead to actual hunger.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

Just scanned prior post history, I did not realize 1200 calories is a surplus for you. I got the runner part from ....
    My intake varies (rarely enter much in food diary) but usually try for 60g minimum but happy to up this if it will help get results from my training which consists of kettlebells and weights 3x a week plus 3 runs of around 6k and 1 or 2 swims of around 3k each.

This was posted this weekend, so you have now dropped cardio?

If looking to gain muscle, you will have to be eating at a surplus, protein will need to be .82-1 g per lb of lean body mass and heavy lifting.

Having a TDEE of less than 1200 is extremely rare, I am not sure MFP or fad diets (only word I could think ofif done for other than insulin issues) would be appropriate for you (unless doctor recommended). You obviously have a doctor closely monitoring a situation like this, they may be able to have a dietitian work up a meal plan that fits your needs. I am also assuming with such a severe metabolic rate your hormones and hunger cues may be thrown off. This could be a cause of hunger. If you are not worried about bulking, are you physically just unable to eat more than 1200 calories? If personal sorry, just trying to understand... I have never heard of a condition that limits the number of calories a person may consume, volume of food limits could make sense but calorie limited by medical condition is new to me.

I wish you the best, unfortunately I am not sure any of us here would have the knowledge to help here. :drinker:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Some initial thoughts.

You're eating 1200 calories.

You're not eating enough vegetables.
  • emmab0902
    Options

Just scanned prior post history, I did not realize 1200 calories is a surplus for you. I got the runner part from ....
    My intake varies (rarely enter much in food diary) but usually try for 60g minimum but happy to up this if it will help get results from my training which consists of kettlebells and weights 3x a week plus 3 runs of around 6k and 1 or 2 swims of around 3k each.

This was posted this weekend, so you have now dropped cardio?

If looking to gain muscle, you will have to be eating at a surplus, protein will need to be .82-1 g per lb of lean body mass and heavy lifting.

Having a TDEE of less than 1200 is extremely rare, I am not sure MFP or fad diets (only word I could think ofif done for other than insulin issues) would be appropriate for you (unless doctor recommended). You obviously have a doctor closely monitoring a situation like this, they may be able to have a dietitian work up a meal plan that fits your needs. I am also assuming with such a severe metabolic rate your hormones and hunger cues may be thrown off. This could be a cause of hunger. If you are not worried about bulking, are you physically just unable to eat more than 1200 calories? If personal sorry, just trying to understand... I have never heard of a condition that limits the number of calories a person may consume, volume of food limits could make sense but calorie limited by medical condition is new to me.

I wish you the best, unfortunately I am not sure any of us here would have the knowledge to help here. :drinker:

Yes just dropped cardio but had already drastically reduced it a while ago. It's not the condition that limits intake it's the medication for it. And yep am under doctor and nutritionist and both are fully in support of my eating and training.