Discouraged

Options
I began running again a few weeks ago, beginning with 1.5 miles, then moving up to 2. I'm running a 5k in less than two weeks and I really really really need to be able to run that distance since I'm competing with friends. This morning I set out to run 2.5 miles and struggled with it and ended up walking part of it. I told myself it was okay because it was a farther distance, but when I got home and checked the distance, it was only 2.2 miles.
It's so frustrating for me because I've been working really hard. I had a knee injury a couple years ago and before then, I could easily run 5k. Is anyone else having the same problems? It's difficult with the deadline.

Replies

• Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Define a "few weeks ago." Do you have a plan?
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    About three weeks ago. My original plan was to add .5 miles every week, but I'm struggling now. I didn't think that was an unreasonable increase.
  • agriffi1
    agriffi1 Posts: 8
    Options
    Last summer I did a couch potato to 5k program and it helped tremendously...not everyone in my group started out as an actual couch potato so to speak so the coach had higher expectations and goals established for those ppl...try searching via Google any such program for advice, two weeks is a lot of time to train esp. if u have already been running and go here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/
    :smile:
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    About three weeks ago. My original plan was to add .5 miles every week, but I'm struggling now. I didn't think that was an unreasonable increase.

Adding 1/2 mile per week isn't much if you already have a solid base. Adding 1/2 mile per week when you're barely at 1 1/2 miles is tacking on an additional 33% of your base distance.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I just started running again after surgery and I'm really struggling as well because I'm much weaker than I feel.

There are two things that have helped me in the past to strengthen my running. First, when adding distance -- slow down -- the first couple of times you go that distance. Second is sprint intervals. I will do the first week of C25K with sprint intervals instead of running intervals.

Four to five weeks without a good running base may or may not be enough time to train for a 5K race. My first 5K was a fun run and I struggled through it because of the footing. Where is this 5K? Is it on a trail? In the street? In grass? I would suggest training on the same footing as well as often as you can.

Good luck.
  • yosassi
    yosassi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Have you considered doing some other types of training to get you stronger? I would suggest adding some HIIT workouts or strength training to work your muscles differently. When I added those in, it felt a lot easier to add more distance. Happy to suggest a few workouts if you are interested!
  • twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Do you have any recent running experience? I think you're trying for too much, too soon and would think that aiming to walk/run the 5k would be doable for you, not just running it.
  • fhunter91
    fhunter91 Posts: 13
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! I'm trying to build up my miles too and some days are better than others. Sometimes you just have more energy, whether it be from a new song you're running to or because of the quality/quantity of calories you've been consuming...

The important thing is that you're a runner now! :smile:

As others have mentioned, try giving HIIT a try. My version is to walk one telephone pole (does anyone else still have telephone poles where they live?) or 15 seconds, then jog one telephone pole/15 seconds, then sprint the next telephone pole/15 seconds, and repeat until I end up back home again. This actually ends up giving me more of a rush than just jogging the whole 3 miles at a slow pace.

I know you can do it! You might not end up doing a 20 minute 5k but I definitely think you can run it :smile:

P.S. Just make sure to pay attention to your body - give it rest and food when it needs it. You can't sacrifice health just for a pound or two on the scale.