Whole eggs or just eggwhites?

Options
Should i use whole eggs or just eggwhites? I heard the wgg yellows have healthy fats in it.

Usually eat 4x whole eggs for breakfeast with 100grams oatmeal

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goal/s. The yolks have much value.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Whichever you prefer.

I use whole eggs. Eggs are great for protein and taste yummy.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    the whites are nearly pure protein and the yolks have quite a bit of protein but also lots of other nutrition.... an egg contains all the nutrients needed to grow a baby chicken, so they are extremely nutritious.

You should eat the yolks too. Extra egg white (the kind you get in a carton so you don't end up throwing the yolks away) can be a good way to get extra protein without adding too many calories, e.g. if you're on a cut and finding it hard to meet your protein goals. But egg yolks are extremely nutritious and their bad reputation is totally undeserved.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Your choice. I only use the eggwhites - still some protein but less calories. My goal is 1300 per day though, so have to keep it strict.

The yolks have good stuff too, alternatively you can make scramble with one whole egg and two egg whites.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Both! Lots of good micronutrients in the yolks, lots of good protein in the whites. If I'm making an omelette I'll use a couple of whole eggs and a couple of extra whites to boost the protein.
  • jd1208
    jd1208 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs, I hate waste.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1p
  • justbetty9
    justbetty9 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Eggs are an amazing source of everything, like some one else said, they have everything in them to grow a baby chick. Although the yolks are extra calories, it's all good and will fill you to help you not snack on other less nutritious things. I would say stick with the whole egg. My partner puts them raw in a glass of milk after his long run and he has only continued to lose weight. Eggs all the way.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    absolutely no reason to only have the whites unless you specifically want to cut fat or do low calorie.
    Healthy fats, healthy proteins and easy to digest.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    absolutely no reason to only have the whites unless you specifically want to cut fat or do low calorie.
    Healthy fats, healthy proteins and easy to digest.

well said
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I need a lot of volume, so I do both. Generally, I eat 2 eggs and 4 egg whites just so I can eat a ton of food.
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs, I hate waste.

This.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I eat whole eggs. Eggs are a whole food. People believe that if you eat cholesterol, that it would raise cholesterol in the blood and contribute to heart disease. But it turns out that it isn’t that simple. The more you eat of cholesterol, the less your body produces instead.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    It seems wasteful to me to only use the whites. (unless I'm making a pavlova or something, in which case I'll end up saving the yolks and adding them to scrambled eggs or something later). + as others have said, there are a lot of nutrients in the yolks, and it makes things a nice colour! :smile:
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to cut body fat down to 10%...I eat 3-4 whole eggs for breakfast most mornings and the cut is going well. Like above people said, too many nutrients are in the yolks to just discard them.
  • sdouglas0728
    sdouglas0728 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I need a lot of volume, so I do both. Generally, I eat 2 eggs and 4 egg whites just so I can eat a ton of food.

This! I do three egg whites and one egg! I love how low calorie egg whites are but I don't like the way they taste. I also buy the egg whites in the carton so I'm not wasting yolks.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    My husband gets mad at me for wasting all his baking eggs by throwing away the yolks, so I generally do one or two whole eggs and the extra whites from the carton. :drinker:
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Should i use whole eggs or just eggwhites? I heard the wgg yellows have healthy fats in it.

Usually eat 4x whole eggs for breakfeast with 100grams oatmeal

I like the whole eggs, too. They taste better, and nothing is wasted, IMO. Your breakfast is similar to mine, but I only eat 2 eggs. But then again, I'm almost twice as old as you and female, so I need less. You likely have almost double the calorie needs as me, so your breakfast sounds perfect for you.:flowerforyou: