Cake & Diet Soda

Options
jtreadwell
jtreadwell Posts: 90 Member
I recently heard that you can mix diet soda into cake mix in place of eggs and oil. Has anybody tried this? How does it taste and how do you know the calorie content?

Replies

• LorrieM40
    Options
    It is better than the regular way. The only problem that I found is that it can make the cake too moist to make a layer cake but I tried this years ago and have never made it the regular way again. Now they have icing made with splenda which helps save even more calories.
  • MayaPapaya64
    Options
    OMG! Tell me more about this! Do you mean you use a box of cake mix and instead of oil and egg you add a can of soda?

Increds!!
  • ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    I've never tried it, but I posted this awhile back:

I came across this link and thought some of you may appreciate it as much as I do. I'm a vegetarian and although I will eat certain foods with eggs cooked in them, I will NOT personally make anything that requires eggs. Now, I can still make it, but use the egg substitute. SO excited!!

http://chefinyou.com/egg-substitutes-cooking

I kept up with the calories by entering everythng like a brand new recipe
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    Apparently there are more than a dozen different cake mix and soda combinations available on the net.
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I also love it! We make cupcakes that way all the time. The kids never know the difference. I make a meringue icing with the Ideal sugar to cut the calories and fat way down. Just google any meringue icing recipe and change the sugars out. Its very good. :) It still has a lot of carbs but it helps.
  • JCulp1990
    Options
    I have done it and I think they taste the same. If you are making a white or vanilla cake use a light colored diet soda if you are making a chocolate cake use a dark colored diet soda.
  • Mawskittykat
    Mawskittykat Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I tried the strawberry cake with diet sprite. The calorie content can be figuered by multiplying per serving calories times the number of servings in the box of mix because the diet soda has 0. For instance my chocolate says 1/12 of package is 170 calories. 170 x 12 servings = 2040. So if you fixed the cake and cut it into 12 pcs you would have 170 calories each slice But if you made cupcakes out of the whole box and you had 24 cupcakes you would only have 85 calories because 2040 divided by 24 is 85. You could also have bigger slices but your calories would have to be figured for that also. I am trying this chocolate one tomorrow with diet coke in it. You can do Orange or strawberry with diet sprite or chocolate with diet coke. The strawberry was great. You can spray the baking pan with spray with no calories and then no eggs or oil needed just diet drink, 1 can or 12 oz
  • mdaniella
    mdaniella Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My best friend does it all the time..she uses diet soda to save extra calories. it's always moist and delicious..you can never tell!! =D
  • jtreadwell
    Options
    Woo-hoo!! Can't wait to try it. Do you know of any cake mixes made with splenda instead of sugar? That would decrease the calories even more. I think I want to try pineapple cake mix with diet sprite first then make a bunch of little cupcakes that I can freeze and eat whenever I want. Thank you everybody for your thoughts and ideas! :flowerforyou:
  • sunshine7966
    Options
    I'm actually making some tomorrow...diet coke chocolate cupcakes and a great peanut butter icing recipe. I can't wait to try it. I've made the cupcakes before, but not the icing!!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Here is another variation that my boss used to make at work. She used chocolate cake with diet cherry coke and mixed some diced cherries into the batter before baking. We've also made orange and strawberry versions of this and it's FANTASTIC!! The WW version of this calls for 3 TBSP of applesauce in the mix but I've never done that with this recipe and it works fine.

Diet Soda Jello Cake
    12 Servings

1 (18 1/4 ounce) box cake mix (any flavor)
    1 (1/3 ounce) box sugar-free jello (any flavor)
    1 (12 ounce) can diet soda
    8 ounces fat-free whipped topping (typically half of the container)

Directions:
    Prep Time: 15 mins
    Total Time: 3 1/4 hrs

1 Mix cake mix with diet soda, mix until well blended.
    2 Pour batter into desired pan (I use 13x9).
    3 Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes until done.
    4 Cool cake and then poke holes in cake with knife or fork approximately one inch apart.
    5 Prepare jello as directed (typically this uses 2 cups of water, 1 boiling 1 cold).
    6 Pour jello over cake evenly.
    7 Place cake in refrigerator for 1-2 hours until cooled.
    8 Frost with cool-whip and enjoy!
  • jtreadwell
    Options
    Ooh the jello cake sounds yummy!!!
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    I have done it and loved it! You figure the calories with the dry mix calories (on box) and diet pop (0). I've used diet cherry 7-up with a confetti mix and diet coke with a chocolate cake. It is great!
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    I tried the strawberry cake with diet sprite. The calorie content can be figuered by multiplying per serving calories times the number of servings in the box of mix because the diet soda has 0. For instance my chocolate says 1/12 of package is 170 calories. 170 x 12 servings = 2040. So if you fixed the cake and cut it into 12 pcs you would have 170 calories each slice But if you made cupcakes out of the whole box and you had 24 cupcakes you would only have 85 calories because 2040 divided by 24 is 85. You could also have bigger slices but your calories would have to be figured for that also. I am trying this chocolate one tomorrow with diet coke in it. You can do Orange or strawberry with diet sprite or chocolate with diet coke. The strawberry was great. You can spray the baking pan with spray with no calories and then no eggs or oil needed just diet drink, 1 can or 12 oz

It may even be less than that because if it says "as prepared" it is including the oil and
    eggs in the nutritional info!
  • jtreadwell
    Options

Thank you so much for all of the useful information!
  • lisamaria63
    Options
    yummy... a Must try. ESPECIALLY Chocolate cake!
  • ZumbaTriad
    ZumbaTriad Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Love it! A good combination is chocolate with Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper or diet cheerwine!
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I made Devil's Food & Diet Rootbeer Cupcakes. They were pretty tasty! Although they don't REALLY taste like Rootbeer. Nice and moist inside...I opted to use 2 egg whites as recommended by a website I found. Helps keep the cake intact.
  • superbeffie
    superbeffie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It def works, but I actually like the texture better using applesauce instead of soda. It's just your preference, but either way it's a great substitution. I just like to feel like I'm getting some fruit, lol. :)

They do make reduced sugar icing, but you can also use sugar free cool whip on top of a cupcake and it tastes amazing.
  • hmangus
    Options
    I have used diet soda in the recipe before and I thought it was pretty good.

My husband made brownies with strawberry yogurt instead of oil the other night and they were great! Maybe yogurt would do better than diet soda.