Thinking about using TDEE, but unsure about the numbers.

Options
krogers810x
krogers810x Posts: 92 Member
Full disclosure: I work in the humanities, I suck at math. I need help.

I started tracking and doing the 30DS three weeks ago. I'm not taking any rest days from the shred, so I'm on day 21, and I am doing 20-30 minutes on the elliptical 4-5 days a week as well. I have been mostly at/under goal using MFP's numbers, though I have been measuring, not weighing. (The scale's in the mail, I swear!)
I am losing inches (two in my hips is the biggest loss), but I have gained about a pound since beginning. I expected to retain water, but is it normal to hang onto it for three straight weeks?

I have read the threads about using TDEE for weight loss instead of the MFP defaults, and I wonder if maybe I would see more consistent results that way? I was playing with the iifym.com calculator, but I'm not sure what to put for my "exercise x days a week". I am exercising 7 days/week, but how long do they mean for that? 30 minutes? An hour? I don't want to overestimate.

If anyone more experienced could give me advice, I would really appreciate it!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you are figuring correctly, MFP plus your exercise calories should put you pretty much in the same place as TDEE. Keep in mind that TDEE - 20% is roughly 1 lb a week, some people compare their MFP at 2lbs a week to TDEE - 20%.

If you do switch to TDEE method, even though you are working out 6-7 days a week, I would still chose one of the lower levels. From my experience, the higher end ones are for people doing a ton of additional exercise. I would probably lean towards the moderate activity level based on what you provided. Or you could do an average of the two you feel fit you closest.

Or you can keep going with MFP. 3 weeks is still a little too soon to see the trend. You lost inches. You also started exercising which can increase water retention in the muscles. That can mask fat loss. When I started lifting weights again, I went up 2 lbs and stayed there and entire month. There was an obvious difference in the progress photos when I did get small, but the scale took awhile to reflect it.
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I think 3 weeks is too soon to switch. My reason being that my boss (a certified running coach) told me that he will change one aspect of his running regimen and stick with it for 4-6 weeks before adding in another change.

While I don't know what's "normal" in retaining water, but if you truly lost two inches already, that's progress!! Just because your weight has gone up, doesn't mean you aren't losing fat.

If you haven't done pictures yet, do them!!!
  • krogers810x
    krogers810x Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, guys! I've seen so many posts where people are losing weight quickly, even just water weight at the beginning, that I was beginning to wonder if I was doing something wrong.

For now, I think I will stick with MFP and eating back most of my exercise calories ... "earning" more always feels like an accomplishment, lol. I just need to learn to be patient and not give up before I give it enough time to see a difference in the scale.

I have taken pictures at the end of each stage of the 30DS, but haven't really looked at them all together. I was trying to wait until the end, lol!