Hello. Is there anyone else out there who has a problem with

Options
I regularly eat a whole box of chocolates by myself in one go. Even a double layer. I know it's extreme greediness & very likely I'll end up with diabetes again (I was insulin dependent with gestational diabetes twice). But I just can't stop myself. I'm wondering if I should save up for a gastric band or bypass (I also over eat if something tastes nice). Consequently I am 55lb overweight. That's classified as obese on the BMI scale. I ask myself if I'm stupid sometimes. I mean REALLY stupid...to treat myself like this. But I just can't get a grip on it. Does anyone know if having surgical intervention could help? I've tried hypnotherapy but he just gave me a chocolate bar after each session. I was paying £50 an hour to be GIVEN chocolate. And it didn't work. So I gave up after 7 sessions. Talking to someone with a real problem might help me (not just a skinny person who says they have a chocolate obsession who clearly does not). I've been trying this application for over a week and have gained 8lb. I don't log the chocolate as it looks so bad on the diary that I can't bear to see it! Has anyone else conquered their overeating and chocolate indulgence using fitness pal?

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    IT takes 14 days to give up a habit. You just need to get through it and teach yourself to eat healthier food---surgery is not your answer, you need to retrain your brain! I would strongly advise you not to have surgery, if you were my pal, for this reason. Start small, start by only buying small box at a time and split it in half, having a family member hide the other half. then gradually work toward only one piece a day, and eventually NONE! It is the only way to get through this, in my opinion.
  • jayney25
    jayney25 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm stunned here. Thank you so much for answering my post. I've never put a post out anywhere before. Until today. And upon reading your message, I've opened my front door and thrown the contents if a bag of giant chocolate buttons out (they've literally scattered all over the drive). I'm hoping some hungry hedgehog will eat them in the night, or my neighbours will wonder what the hell is wrong with me. I can't trust myself to have chocolate in the house (I even eat the kids supply). So, thank you so much for your advice. I'll focus on getting through 14 days...
  • jayney25
    Options
    I'm stunned here. Thank you so much for answering my post. I've never put a post out anywhere before. Until today. And upon reading your message, I've opened my front door and thrown the contents if a bag of giant chocolate buttons out (they've literally scattered all over the drive). I'm hoping some hungry hedgehog will eat them in the night, or my neighbours will wonder what the hell is wrong with me. I can't trust myself to have chocolate in the house (I even eat the kids supply). So, thank you so much for your advice. I'll focus on getting through 14 days...
  • tferreri
    Options
    I too am obese. I'm one hundred pounds over weight. How did I get to be so big .... because I like food and don't like to tell myself no. In my opinion ..... you should quit cold turkey. One piece or a taste is not going to satisfy your craving. I know this from experience .... If I have a taste it is all down hill from there. One taste leads to the whole package. Do not keep these items in your house. If you must have chocolate, have it once a week on your cheat day and only purchase a serving size. Dieting is not easy ..... if it were we wouldn't be so heavy.

Oh, try fugesicles or fat free pudding.
  • jayney25
    Options
    I'll give this a damn good try. Cold turkey is most likely my best option. Thanks
  • jayney25
    Options
    I'll give this a damn good try. Cold turkey is most likely my best option. Thanks
  • chrisc31
    chrisc31 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have found that if it's not in the house, then I'm not going to go out an buy it. If it is here....I will eat it all. My husband doesn't understand that I have no self-control over those wonderfully tasting sweets and will bring home cookies, candy, doughnuts, whatever! I like the fat-free pudding and fat-free whipped topping. Just don't go overboard and eat more than a serving of them! I've found that being honest with everything that goes into my mouth makes me see just how bad I was eating. So go ahead and put the chocolate in your food log....see just how many calories/fat it puts you over. When you see how real it is, maybe it will shock you into wanting to do better for yourself!
  • alvin_grung
    alvin_grung Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Binging is tough and I think often has an anger component - angry with yourself for doing it, and punishing yourself by going overboard? Makes no sense, but there it is.

Anyway, I particularly wanted to say, put everything in the counter - everything! A teaspoon of mustard, two figs, etc. It's astonishing how it adds up and teaches you what you are doing to yourself. And the horrendous result of overindulging in things like chocolate when you look at the calorie, sugar and fat content makes for one huge wallop of a lesson - and adds no calories! Staring right at the consequences is a great motivator and the realistic picture of your day - KEEPING IT REAL - will make all the difference to your chance of success. Best of luck!
  • budatay
    Options
    I agree that it's better to not have a taste. It's like an addiction. Once I have a little bit I go full force.
    If I get to work and someone has brought donuts I sometimes have to excuse myself and go walk down the hall and back. That gives me a minute to think it over and decide if it is really worth it. It usually helps me say no. When I tell myself it's okay to have "just half" it never fails, I eat the whole thing, and many times 2 whole donuts. Many times that leads to making more poor choices.

To be honest, there have been times when I have cried. I love to eat and I love to eat junk food! It is getting better and easier to say "no thanks". The positive choices lead to more positive choices. And that is a great feeling!