Hamstrings

Options
I am in the process of trying to loose weight. Need to loose a stone in 9 weeks for my holiday.
While i'm exercising and dieting i really want to improve my flexibility. My hamstrings are so tight i cant touch my toes, sitting or standing.
What are the best exercises to improve this?

Replies

• yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    1. constantly trying to touch your toes - in a relaxed way; no ballistics and -

2. yoga
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of trying to loose weight. Need to loose a stone in 9 weeks for my holiday.
    While i'm exercising and dieting i really want to improve my flexibility. My hamstrings are so tight i cant touch my toes, sitting or standing.

You know, I often see folks from the empire using "stone," as a weight reference. Isn't that 15kg?
  • CharKLee
    CharKLee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1 stone = 6.35Kg
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

You know, I often see folks from the empire using "stone," as a weight reference. Isn't that 15kg?

No. It's 14 lb
  • dbmata
    Options
    Ah ok. So imagine with a good diet, you could probably lose one kg in 2-3 weeks.

With a good and consistent workout regimen, you might be able to average one kg per two weeks.

so, 6.35 * 2 weeks per kg = 12-13 weeks.
  • CharKLee
    Options
    Yes.. 14lb is 6.35KG
  • CharKLee
    Options
    I dont understand your maths at the bottom.
    I need to loose 1stone (14lb) (6.35Kg)

I have 9 weeks
    So i am trying to lose 2lb (0.9kg) per week.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

I have 9 weeks
    So i am trying to lose 2lb (0.9kg) per week.

What he is trying to say is that your goal is likely too aggressive for that time frame.
  • dbmata
    Options

I have 9 weeks
    So i am trying to loose 2lb (0.9kg) per week.

Right, and you'll find that difficult.

For someone who has a lot of weight to lose, say 15kg+, they could probably safely sustain a .9kg loss weekly for a bit. You on the other hand have half that mass to lose. As you have less to lose, you lose less over a period of time.

In order to lose 1kg you need a deficit of 7700kcals, which over a week of time is a deficit of 1100kcal daily.

Now, let's say you are well muscled, active, and maintaining your weight at 2,000kcal intake daily. From a simple numbers perspective, you'd need to reduce daily intake (without changing anything else) by 1100 kcal, leaving you with a 900kcal intake daily, which is too low to do safely.

Now, you *could* remove 500 kcal daily, it would be difficult from a 2000kcal diet, and that 500kcal reduction weekly will give you a loss (on paper) of .4-.5kg per week.

Now, let's say you're smaller, not muscled, and not very active. Your daily intake may be around 1600kcal daily. You could potentially remove 250kcal safely, leaving you at a 1350kcal intake daily, which I think would be a bit low, but potentially safe.

250kcal daily = 1750kcal reduction per week, 1750kcal = 1/2 a pound, or somewhere under 1/4kg.

Then from there, you can take those numbers and figure out how long it will take (linearly) to lose however much weight you want to lose.
  • KellysDiet78
    Options
    Blimey a simple question has got very complicated.. I would say just eat really well, train hard and in 9 weeks whatever you've lost is a bonus... its easier letting your body loose it (I mean "lose" it) hehe - then you put yourself under the pressure ... good luck !! :-)
  • dbmata
    Options
    Aw naw, this isn't complicated.

We could totally get into non-linear modeling, adding workout volume, efficiency decay, etc. ;)

ETA - oh and for the hamstrings, stretch. Stand up, touch your toes. Repeat. Deadlifts give a good hamstring stretch too.
  • nnix64
    nnix64 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I thought she wanted to stretch her hamstrings? There are several good ones besides repeatedly tryint to touch your toes.
    http://www.fitsugar.com/5-Easy-Hamstring-Stretches-1983373