Vegan Low Carb Recipe Ideas

Options
Muzida
Muzida Posts: 5 Member
Hey there, I am a vegetarian, trying to cut dairy, too, and in desperate need of vegan low carb recipe ideas. Yes, I've searched all over Pinterest, but input is still highly appreciated!

Also, any other vegetarians / vegans out there, trying to maintain a low carb high protein diet? Any tips, hints, help?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Describe what "low carb" means to you. Like, for me, my lentil soup with seitan is vegan and high protein. Are you talking "low carb" as in less than 100 carbs per day? or less than 20 carbs per day?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Being a Vegan and eating low carb is very difficult. I'm not sure your reasons for eating low carb as it's not a magic way to lose weight. You'll find the Majority of vegans eat 40-50% carbs. I normally eat around 60% and there are many Vegans doing 80/10/10 so 80% carbs. Eating low carb is not impossible but are you making things more difficult than they need to be? It will take a lot of work and meal planning.

I'll give you the general links that may help regarding losing weigh using mfp. if you've not looked at them before well worth a look good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to torture yourself that way? Being vegan, at least half of your diet is going to come from carbs!
  • Yakelmeyer
    Yakelmeyer Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and avoid empty carbs. Most fruits and veggies naturally contain carbs, but they are useful ones and not the empty ones you get from breads. One of my favorite tricks is to put my food on a bed of spinach. Nachos and stir fry are good examples of foods to put onto a salad instead of chips or noodles. Another good trick is to use a mandolin (kitchen implement not the musical instrument) to slice up zucchini very fine and use those as noodles instead. Spaghetti squash is a great way to make spaghetti without the noodles. I do tend to make an exception for quinoa since it is a great protein source.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower rice!
    You can make it into a fried rice with soy sauce and other vegetables added. Really tasty :)

Cauliflower makes a great substitution for many higher carb veggies.
    I made cauliflower mash and it tasted like mashed potatoes! With almond milk, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I have a great low carb, vegan recipe.

Peanut Butter Bites:

Ingredients: Peanut Butter, Spoon.

Directions: Insert spoon into jar of peanut butter, scoop a generous portion of peanut butter out of the jar and place it in your mouth.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Being a Vegan and eating low carb is very difficult. I'm not sure your reasons for eating low carb as it's not a magic way to lose weight. You'll find the Majority of vegans eat 40-50% carbs. I normally eat around 60% and there are many Vegans doing 80/10/10 so 80% carbs. Eating low carb is not impossible but are you making things more difficult than they need to be? It will take a lot of work and meal planning.

I'll give you the general links that may help regarding losing weigh using mfp. if you've not looked at them before well worth a look good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594

Exactly!
    Plus become a vegetarian doesn't mean to only toss out the animal produtcs from your plate. To get an optimal nutrition and get complete protein from the vegetal world, you will have to pair it with carbs( grains and cereal of your choice). The only thing that will provide you with complete protein is soya beans products., i.e. Tofu, soy milk, roasted soy nuts..

So, for a low carb meal you can always have a tofy stir fry with veggies of your choice, but then again some veggies are higher in carb.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be argumentative but I don't understand this 'cauliflower rice' and ' courgette/ zucchini noodles' idea. What's wrong with just eating normal lumpy cauliflower or courgette?
  • Ephesian432
    Ephesian432 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a great low carb, vegan recipe.

Peanut Butter Bites:

Ingredients: Peanut Butter, Spoon.

Directions: Insert spoon into jar of peanut butter, scoop a generous portion of peanut butter out of the jar and place it in your mouth.
    Hehe, that's awesome. (I do this sometimes!)
  • Ephesian432
    Ephesian432 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Have you tried hemp protein? I know this is not a recipe, but you can add milled hemp to smoothies or soups for extra protein.

And has anyone mentioned Garden of Life Organic Raw Meal? I like the vanilla flavor. It's supposed to be a meal replacement, but I make a smoothie sometimes with it, and add a scoop. Excellent protein source, moderate carbs depending on how much you use. 1 scoop has 13g net carbs and 17 g protein, but it is VERY filling. I can't really use more than 1 scoop or I'll be too full.

Spaghetti squash is pretty low carb too. So is green bean casserole without fried onions, if you limit your servings. There are plenty of vegan versions. (Here is one >>> http://www.eatthelove.com/2013/11/vegan-green-bean-casserole/) You can use real/regular onions on top (not fried.)

A low-carb vegan way of eating is definitely doable. I ended up adding meat for variety. Okay I'll admit, I only added the meat because I was tired of preparing two separate meals at home for my hubby and myself. And it's easier for when I'm feeling lazy. Not a big fan of meat! (Taste/texture.)