Questions for those who run ...

Options
My questions are as follows:

Do you use inserts? Why or why not?

Are there any inserts that you would suggest or any that are to be avoided? If so, why?

Replies

• hammondo
    hammondo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Just decent running shoes for me. Had my gait checked and always buy appropriate Asics shoes and change them about every 300 miles/3 months. Thats just me though!
  • Tla0126
    Tla0126 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I was fitted and my gait checked as well - New Balance for me. No inserts needed for me. I do have multiple pairs.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    My runners are custom.
  • ledden
    ledden Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I used to wear orthotics in my running shoes. A few years ago, I actually had someone check my gait. I now only wear my orthotics at work and not in my running shoes. I have less problems with my knees now then when I was wearing the orthotics.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    No. If a running shop tries to sell them to you, you are being upsold and should run (or briskly walk) far away. Good quality, fitted shoes and proper running form will eliminate the need for inserts unless you have podiatrist-verified jacked up feet. At that point, I doubt you'd be able to run anyway.
  • heybebe88
    heybebe88 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had been wearing the same running shoes for 10 years through several half-marathons (yikes!) and just putting in new dr. scholls inserts every couple hundred miles.

And then I went to a running store where they put me on a treadmill and had my gait analyzed, shelled out a couple hundred bucks for the perfect pair, and let me tell you, it is SO WORTH IT.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Are we talking custom or "over the counter" inserts here? I had to get custom inserts made...my doc said to stay away from anything not custom as they tend to not help and break down much faster.
  • 1HappyTurtleRunner
    1HappyTurtleRunner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't wear inserts, tried for awhile, even though they were custom fitted I keep having issues with rubbing on my feet. Now i just go to the running store and get really good shoes that fits correctly.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I was going to get inserts for my cheap shoes, but then I was convinced to just get good shoes, instead. and I've never regretted it.

I think inserts might slide around and be distracting while running. but I'm hard on my feet when it comes to running. :laugh:

I found this page helpful...

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-finder/shoe-advisor
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I was going to get inserts for my cheap shoes, but then I was convinced to just get good shoes, instead. and I've never regretted it.

I think inserts might slide around and be distracting while running. but I'm hard on my feet when it comes to running. :laugh:

I found this page helpful...

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-finder/shoe-advisor

Inserts should never be a substitute for a good running shoe.
    I just use a cheap cushioned one for added cushioning in my fav running shoes.
  • roenutrition
    roenutrition Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I went with Asic 20s. They are the best for me. Wow what a difference it made. I went to the reviews first on running shoes. I tend to pronate, roll over when I run. So the Asics are perfect for me. Google in reviews for running shoes.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    No inserts.

I was gait analyzed and stuck in some shoes, those shoes ended up wrecking me, so I started over with five fingers, and now i'm using a no drop minimalist shoe, don't need inserts at that point.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    No. If a running shop tries to sell them to you, you are being upsold and should run (or briskly walk) far away. Good quality, fitted shoes and proper running form will eliminate the need for inserts unless you have podiatrist-verified jacked up feet. At that point, I doubt you'd be able to run anyway.

+1

If you get the right shoes, there's no need for inserts.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

+1

Agreed *unless* there's a medical problem. But if you're currently sound in foot, no inserts should be needed.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options

this...inserts just never seem to fit the shoe right for me...versus the original sock liner which is cut to match the shoe!!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I do not, however, my teenage daughter does. She has a bit of an overpronation so she gets inserts for that. She also wears a heel insert from the orthopedic doctor because she has had issues with her achilles tendon in the past. We both get fitted at a runner store.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I use to use them but don't anymore. When I did, I got them from Lady Footlocker and they would replace them after a year of use.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options

+1

Agreed *unless* there's a medical problem. But if you're currently sound in foot, no inserts should be needed.

Exactly what I quoted and said, unless you have a dr verified reason (aka - podiatrist-verified jacked up feet), no need.
  • CantonMan1234
    CantonMan1234 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input ... it will be used wisely and well :happy:
  • workshardplaysharder
    Options

+1

I have the right shoes and I still use superfeet inserts. They offer a bit more arch support.