carbs seem off

Options
Maybe this is me i don't know.
i have started to use this site - not to calory count (ok i would like to lose a little wight) but more to carb check.

I have recently been diagnosed as diabetic and while i have pretty much removed processed sugars from my diet, my levels are still too high (after medication)

I can only put this down to carbs, fructose and lactose. Obviously i can't remove fruit, dairy and all carbs from my diet.

I am hoping to reduce my carbs to around 100 - 150g a day.

I have just entered my breakfast and found that apparently the two slices of batch loaf has zero carbs (impossible) and the pilchards on top had 8g (despite the manufacturers saying there are none)

Has anyone else found that the carb readings are off?

Replies

• geistmadl
    geistmadl Posts: 22
    Options
    I have found that too. There are potato salad entries out there that say that there are zero carbs in potato salad- impossible.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Talk to your diabetes doctor!?!?!?!?, you need to do more research around nutrition also and understand how your body process fructose ect.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Create your own entries!
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind a lot of the entries in the databases are put there by individual users.... so many are incorrect as to the nutritional breakdowns... I have found using the scanner on bar codes on the app far more effective for getting more accurate tracking of carbs and other macros, and if its something like chicken I google the nutritional info, then find the entry in the database that most closely matches the correct info and add it to my favourites/frequent list... that way I know the ones im using are the most accurate. I had the same thing happen when I first started.. I chose a slice of wonder bread or something from the data base, and didn't even realize it had 0 carbs - whoever entered that particular one I chose only put the calorie count no other info.... that was when I realized there are a zillion entries for each item lol.... :laugh:
  • VTRutz
    VTRutz Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything that doesn't have a label with nutrition facts on it that I can cross check. Too much bad info out there from people only looking to track certain things and not realizing their entries crowd the database with incorrect BS.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    PS: If you're a newly diagnosed diabetic, just an fyi there's an excellent group on this site which really helpful info and topics and resources .... when I was first diagnosed a few years ago I thought it was just sugars I had to worry about, but started learning all I could, and got a lot of help and references to good information there...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group