Stress eating

Options
Does anyone else have this problem? I ruined my first day (yesterday) because of it. Did better today but it was a REAL BATTLE! The stress is something I am going to have to deal with for a long time. Kind of like living in a pressure cooker and waiting for it to explode. It is a situation that I can't change and I need advice on how to deal with it in some other way.:explode: :explode: :explode:

Replies

• ddekay70
    ddekay70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I will be anxious to see what replies you get. I do the same thing as you. Food alwaays comforts me
  • cmckellip
    cmckellip Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is my biggest issue too! Any suggestions would be a huge help.
  • TheNewDanielle
    Options
    I am a newbie, but since joining the group, it's great to vent on here and hear encouragement. I've been exercising every night. I actually haven't really overeaten since starting because i'm so tired after exercising, working, and doing homework, there's no reason to eat. Maybe I've exhausted my bad eating habits for now. What my pals here have said when I'm about to stress eat is to take a walk or some exercise to take the edge off. If all else fails, grab a fruit, veggie or granola something or other :)
  • wvangel
    Options
    I know exactly where you are coming from. I am taking care of my mother-in-law who has Alzheimer's on a full-time basis. My stress levels are out the roof! My only fix for stress eating is taking the "dangerous" foods that I should eat or that I know that I abuse out of my sight. I instead decided to put fruit into the mix...I happen to like the idea of eating something that isn't going to hurt me, on Weight Watchers the fruit is now considered to be zero points, in moderation of course. I like the sour fruit, it satisfies my craving for something to eat.

I put healthy snacks into place, put that safety net in place to keep from "ruining" your days :)
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Anything but food. At work I take a lap literally I get out of my chair and take a lap around the outside of the building (or in the warehouse if it's raining) It lets me decompress with out diving straight into the candy drawer. Deep breathing, Stretching, take up yoga. i find exercise a GREAT outlet for stress and it beats the crap out of stuffing my face. If this is a daily stress you can't do anything about- Schedule a walk. Everyday at 3 (for example) you plug in the musical device and start walking (what I call plugging in and tuning out) I run but it's the same difference- I focus on my footfalls and my breathing (and not getting hit by a car) and worry less about the world I can't control.

Speaking of control- remember there are things that are out of your control worrying or stressing about those things simply makes you miserable and doesn't solve the problem. Focus on the problems or stressors you can control and elminate those and then just figure out how to enjoy the ride...

Some thoughts anyway.:flowerforyou:
  • glittersoul
    Options
    Maybe since it's anxiety related getting some sort of punching bag would help? Obviously that doesn't help when you aren't at home. Maybe try walking or music to change your mood?
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Before you eat go for a walk or clean for 30 minutes. If you still need to eat then make it healthy. I have received some very good snack ideas from MFP members.You also may just be thirsty. Try drinking a glass of water. I eat in bed at night and I am trying to break this very bad habit. I'm thinking of taking the TV out of there.
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    stress...there's a netflix instant stream video called "stress the silent killer" or "stress: biography of a killer" or something like that.

life is stressful, there are awful examples of times when it is more stressful and also great times when *kitten* seems to flow right by you, bypassing your little existence totally. for me it feels like one sh*tstorm barely waits out another. But I digress.

Being a student nurse I see a lot of the results of 'not dealing with stress properly' which in itself is a stress-inducing statement; and I see chronic diseases in workaholics, alcoholics, people in poverty, in other words, the majority of people. Life is a gift, ever single day. but I think everyone, no matter what their problems, has the ability, right and privilege to take back a corner of their life and say, this is sacred. This is a holy gift and nobody knows where it comes from, and I cherish it. A life doesn't have to earn its place or show off some accomplishment, and I think in pursuit of excellence or survival sometimes we forget that a life exists also free of our volition, and we can take a break from whatever it is that drives us. did we choose to be born? I dunno, but I don't recall having anything to do with my molecules coming together.

I spend a lot of time justifying myself and my choices and the lynch-pin holding my argument together is usually, nobody understands the stress I am under. the truth is we are all under so much stress, and yet the opposite is also true.

When I get overwhelmed I like to watch Through the Wormhole and How the Universe Works. I go to spaceweather.com and think about all the things I don't understand that work out perfectly. I am not great at this, but I pray, and I try to get better at it. Wish I had more to offer you here.
  • kap39
    kap39 Posts: 7
    Options
    For me it started with being conscious of what you're doing. Once I realized I was eating as a way to AVOID stress (since it definitely doesn't solve stress, just worsened it by making me feel guilty about stress eating), I started noticing myself stress eating and made myself think about what I was doing. Really think about it. Not only did this kick my rational brain into logical, "You don't really want this" cry, but it also took my mind off what I was stressing about just long enough to say no to food. Then, if I really did have to eat something, I made sure I knew exactly how many calories were in whatever I was eating. This way I fulfilled my desire to eat but didn't ruin the hard work I'd put into my diet.

This sounds kinda crazy reading it back over, but when I followed that strategy a few years ago it helped me lose 30lbs. It was when I stopped using it (at college no less) that I gained back the 35 I'm now trying to lose. Good luck guys!