Running - Some days I just suck.

Options
Tla0126
Tla0126 Posts: 207 Member
Many days, I can get out there and bust out a great run. Then, days like yesterday, I get out there and it feels like I'm done before I even started; like it's my first time running. What gives!!!

Surely I'm not the only one that struggles with this?

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    LOL! No, you're not the only one. These runs happen. Thankfully, they are rare. The good news is that (usually) the run after one of these runs is fantastic.
    Keep running.
  • hammondo
    hammondo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I get that too, but because I now run up to marathon distance (normally at least 8 miles 3 times a week during a normal non event training week) my body has tailored itself for long distance so the first 4 miles really suck. Only 18 months ago I couldn't imagine even running 4 miles!
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I just Lol'ed. I hear ya. OMG. Some days, running sucks... other days I feel like I could run forever and everything is glorious!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I definitely have days when my thought process is "I'm dying, I am literally dying. This run suuuuuucks. Oh, car's coming. How long have I been running? Have I even been going ten minutes? Have I run a mile? Ughhh, worst run ever..."
  • lrichelle
    lrichelle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yep, happens to me all the time. I remember running the Marine Corps Marathon in 2012 and was absolutely miserable, legs felt like lead, couldn't breathe, etc. The following week, I ran the Savannah Marathon and felt fantastic.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Many days, I can get out there and bust out a great run. Then, days like yesterday, I get out there and it feels like I'm done before I even started; like it's my first time running. What gives!!!

Surely I'm not the only one that struggles with this?

Same here.

And the funny thing is...there are times when I feel great before the run and have a bad run, and times I feel cruddy and have a good run!
  • Tla0126
    Options

And the funny thing is...there are times when I feel great before the run and have a bad run, and times I feel cruddy and have a good run!

Ugh! Yes! The other day I went to happy hour, had a couple of beers, go home and literally forced myself to go run and it was AMAZING. WHAT!?!? lol
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Yep, happens to me all the time. I remember running the Marine Corps Marathon in 2012 and was absolutely miserable, legs felt like lead, couldn't breathe, etc. The following week, I ran the Savannah Marathon and felt fantastic.

OMG! I can NOT imagine having a "sucky run" for an entire marathon. oh my...
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Ha! I literally just had this running moment.

So not into it today.
  • 1HappyTurtleRunner
    1HappyTurtleRunner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Happens to me a lot, I get out there and the first few blocks I feel like I have never ran in my life. Then the next day I can run forever. Just depends on the day!
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Do you do a warmup before your actual run? I find that if I plan to run 6 miles, I will do a warm up of about a mile at a slow, steady pace. Then stop and walk around...get a drink...whatever for 5-10 minutes, then actually run. It makes a HUGE difference in how the run goes. If I do not warm up, I am often miserable for the first 3 miles. If I warm up, my runs are so much better for the duration....
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way, I've never had a bad run, just some that weren't as easy as others. Cheesy I know.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Do you do a warmup before your actual run? I find that if I plan to run 6 miles, I will do a warm up of about a mile at a slow, steady pace. Then stop and walk around...get a drink...whatever for 5-10 minutes, then actually run. It makes a HUGE difference in how the run goes. If I do not warm up, I am often miserable for the first 3 miles. If I warm up, my runs are so much better for the duration....

Good points, but may be reserved for the more savvy runners!

I used to wonder WTF those people were doing before a 5K race in running a half mile to a mile to WARM UP. I was like No Way I was ever gonna do that!

Now I will get some running in before a race or PT test. For regular training runs though I dont but yeah, it does make a difference
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Running is for criminals. I kid. I kid. ;-)
  • Tla0126
    Options
    Yeah - my regular run, i'm sure, is identical to some people's warm up runs...

I'm slow :o)
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Yeah - my regular run, i'm sure, is identical to some people's warm up runs...

I'm slow :o)

It does not matter how fast, or slow you are.....treat your body right, and it will work better for you.
  • mish26
    mish26 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I think it happens to everyone. I had one of those this morning. I'm really hoping tomorrow is better.
  • randomworldgirl
    randomworldgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies, but...

Think about how much it would suck if you didn't run at all.
  • lrichelle
    lrichelle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Pre-run happy hour! I should try that! :smile:
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options

I used to wonder WTF those people were doing before a 5K race in running a half mile to a mile to WARM UP. I was like No Way I was ever gonna do that!

Now I will get some running in before a race or PT test. For regular training runs though I dont but yeah, it does make a difference

Haha, good thing you didn't see me running 3 to 3.5 miles to warm up! :tongue: