Boston, Mass- Malls

Options
salmat77
salmat77 Posts: 310 Member
Just a general question for those in the area:

We will be in Boston in August and wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions on great resturants to eat at. Also, any malls, market places for shopping for me and my daughter while my husband and boys attend a Red Sox game!!

Thanks!!

:bigsmile:

Replies

• AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Haven't been to Boston in 10+ years, BUT you have to hit up Quincy Market, great shops & restaurants all rolled into one!

Wander over to Salem too if you get a chance, the museums/sites surrounding the Witch Hunts are amazing, however, there's some great restaurants there as well!
  • salmat77
    Options
    thanks for the tip, hey are the Salem witch hunts really scary, i have a 12 yr old daughter and not sure if she could do it? is that even that type of scary?
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    If you want to visit the high end stores, hit up Newbury Street.

I love Boston. LOVE!!!
  • Where_Is_Herb
    Where_Is_Herb Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Who visits a city to go to a shopping mall?
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options

We will be in Boston in August and wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions on great resturants to eat at. Also, any malls, market places for shopping for me and my daughter while my husband and boys attend a Red Sox game!!

Thanks!!

Dude, the heck with shopping...go to the Red Sox game. It is the experience of a lifetime...even if you may not be a baseball fan. There is no place in the world better to see baseball...the fans, the tradition.....Go, please......
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    If you want to visit the high end stores, hit up Newbury Street.

I love Boston. LOVE!!!

I second a visit to Newbury Street!
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    There's Faneuil Hall Market downtown - don't go to outlying Malls - you can get that at home! Also, if you can, your kids would probably love to take a Duck Tour - fun experience! There are also trolley tours.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I used to always go to the CambridgeSide Galleria mall for back to school shopping but havent been in years, so I don't know if it's still nice or not
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market or Cambridge Harvard Square are both good to walk around and shop and eat, Waterfront area is really pretty and there is a fab aquarium...Fenway area is great to walk around in and you can go to the Museum of Fine Arts or the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum. I've heard the Duck Tours are great, though have not been on one myself (but want to!!). Fabulous restaurants all over the place, we're really really foody here :drinker:

Editing to add - definitely Newbury St too!!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options

Thanks!!

Dude, the heck with shopping...go to the Red Sox game. It is the experience of a lifetime...even if you may not be a baseball fan. There is no place in the world better to see baseball...the fans, the tradition.....Go, please......

Umm, what about Wrigley Field? I realize she's going to Boston, but a game at Wrigley is effing awesome! It's why the place is full with a losing ball club.
  • ctperdant
    ctperdant Posts: 19
    Options
    Prudential Mall is nice and not too far from the park. Though I agree with the comment that you should go to Fenway!!
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options

Thanks!!

Umm, what about Wrigley Field? I realize she's going to Boston, but a game at Wrigley is effing awesome! It's why the place is full with a losing ball club.

I agree, Wrigley is classic as well....but.........in my book, Fenway is tops. I sit there and imagine Ted Williams ripping a line drive out past Pesky's pole....or Yaz lining one off the left field wall.....or Carlton Fisk jumping up and down and waving his home run fair. I am too young to have seen these things in person...but when I am there in those seats, I feel like I have seen it with my own eyes, even though it is only in my mind......
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Lots of restaurants around the Boston common, plus the state house, the Boston public gardens. There are swan boat rides on the pond in the garden and many many flowers. There is a movie theater if you want to catch a movie. There is also Nick's comedy stop below Remington's, which serve awesome charcoaly burgers, yum! You could also follow the red bricks and see all the historical sites. Many old graveyards near the common too and churches. Or you could snag a bus over to charlestown navy yard and see the USS Constitution. Its really a beautiful ship.

If you go to Fanuiel hall, not far from it is the New England Aquarium. You could stroll down Atlantic ave for some awesome ocean views and there is a place to buy tickets for all kinds of harbor cruises, including island hoping cruises (there are small islands in the harbor that you can visit) sunset cruises and whale watches.

There is the museum of science, the children's museum, the museum of fine arts, etc.
    *cough* can you tell I'm from here??? *cough*
  • AusAshMommy
    Options
    thanks for the tip, hey are the Salem witch hunts really scary, i have a 12 yr old daughter and not sure if she could do it? is that even that type of scary?

Nah! They have made it fun and interesting!

I HAVE to agree with the other poster's though - not a baseball fanatic, BUT a game at Fenway is an experience of a lifetime!!!

Forgot all about the Prudential Building, go shopping/dining at the mall and then take the ride to the top, so worth it!

Also the Science Museum & the Aquarium are A-MAZING!
  • AusAshMommy
    Options
    Lots of restaurants around the Boston common, plus the state house, the Boston public gardens. There are swan boat rides on the pond in the garden and many many flowers. There is a movie theater if you want to catch a movie. There is also Nick's comedy stop below Remington's, which serve awesome charcoaly burgers, yum! You could also follow the red bricks and see all the historical sites. Many old graveyards near the common too and churches. Or you could snag a bus over to charlestown navy yard and see the USS Constitution. Its really a beautiful ship.

If you go to Fanuiel hall, not far from it is the New England Aquarium. You could stroll down Atlantic ave for some awesome ocean views and there is a place to buy tickets for all kinds of harbor cruises, including island hoping cruises (there are small islands in the harbor that you can visit) sunset cruises and whale watches.

There is the museum of science, the children's museum, the museum of fine arts, etc.
    *cough* can you tell I'm from here??? *cough*

LOVE LOVE LOVE Boston!!!! My favorite place on Earth! You've listed all of those touristy/local hot spots for her to visit too!
  • salmat77
    Options
    well the whole reason for the trip is to watch a New England Patriots Football game (its for my son's graduation this past May). The RedSox game was really for the boys and I would not have minded going by my 12 yr old daughter gets really bored and anxious at places she really isnt excited about. ( i know i should make her go anyway :)) i do want my kids to enjoy this trip though and remember it. So she loves outside markets and such and the boys do not (PS I HATE SHOPPING, as I am not a typical kind of girl). She loves to shop so i thiink its a great time for her and I to spend some mommy daughter time together. We do plan on doing the Duck Tours and lots of site seeing which I am really excited about.

I appreciate all of the suggestions too however if anyone has any specific resturants they really enjoyed (Love this place great food great atmosphere kind of places) please let me know!!

Any other suggestions on what we should do, throw them out there!!
  • gregp2012
    gregp2012 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Thanks!!

I got to enjoy a game at Fenway, and it was a very good experience. It was also nice that the home team fans didn't threaten me or throw batteries at me as they do in some ballparks.

• naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Durgin Park definitely! One of the oldest, if not the oldest, restaurants in the country. It's casual - so, good for the kids!
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    As for specific restaurants...they have all been good. Most of the ones I have been to are bar/grille places.
    Tia's on Atlantic ave is very nice, has an outdoor eating area, casual.
    Joe's American bar and grill is also on Atlantic ave, but the atmosphere is more boisterous.
    Harvard Gardens on Cambridge st is nice, pub/grille food.
    Remington's on the common, I believe its on tremont st, its quiet during the day but gets roudier after say 9pm due to the clubs/bars down the alley way right next to it, and the comedy club underneath it.
    Antonio's is a great Italian place on Cambridge st, its a little crammed table wise in there though.
    They opened up some new sushi (Fin's sushi) place and an Asian restaurant (Ma Soba) on cambridge st as well, they look nice but I haven't been yet.
    The Summer Shack near the prudential mall is tasty (sea food), atmosphere is pretty laid back/casual.
    The samurai, asian foods, near the prudential, very good food, but expensive, and more upscale in appearance.
    The prudential mall has a standard food court, it also have the California pizza kitchen and a Cheesecake factory.

That's about all I've been to in the city so far. Hope this helps out a bit.
  • salmat77
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions, i am really excited about trying some of these new places.