Any good ways to cook steak w/o a grill?

Options
My husband got a TON of steaks from Omaha Steak Company (I think that's what it's called) for his birthday from his parents. The only problem is we live in an apartment and are not allowed to grill on our balconies. Anyone know a tasty way to cook steak w/o it tasting like it was "grilled" in a pan on top of the stove? (He also got a few pork chops and I don't eat pork b/c it doesn't agree with me- therefore I've never made pork chops before so feel free to give me tips to make those too!) THANKS!

Replies

• polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    George foreman. Put some garlic and montreal seasoning on and cook it till its pink. Yum Yum
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Check out this way: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pan-seared-rib-eye-recipe/index.html It's by Alton Brown and it comes out AMAZING! We love grilling steaks but this is just as good!!
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Use your broiler in your oven. Line your pan with foil, and broil those suckers. Keep a close eye on them, though. Try adding some liquid smoke to your marinade. (in the condiment section) They will be scrumptious! George Foreman grills are also good.
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I love my George Foreman I use it for everything!
  • theadz01
    theadz01 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a cast iron Griddle pan. It'll give you a BBQ effect without Barbecuing.

Rub some oil, salt & pepper on to your steak and cook in the screaming hot griddle pan for 3 minutes on each side. It will be lovely & charred on the outside and beautiful & tender in the middle. Delicious.
  • Lacole216
    Options
    George Forman is always excellent. If you don't have that you could always season/marinade it and put it in the oven on broil. Be careful with that....you have to keep a close eye on the steak & flip them or else you could burn them. They will cook really quickly. Whenever I cook my steak like this I usually line the pan with aluminum foil it helps with the clean up :smile:
  • nuttynetty114
    nuttynetty114 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think you should broil them. I also line my cookie sheet with tin foil & put the steaks on top rack with door slightly opened!! Them come out great. We do have a grill but when we are out of gas we use the oven (broiler) My husband admitted to be last week that he likes the way my come out better in the broiler :)
  • sunshine4me
    sunshine4me Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thaw and then add meat tenderizer (I use Adolph's) then tenderize with a fork(Poke holes in the meat). This will push some of the tenderizer down into the meat! After that, add a small amount of Dale's steak sauce and water into a dish. Place steaks in the dish and let marinate for about 15 minutes on each side. While they are marinating, grab your broiler pan and cover the bottom with foil so clean up is easy.. and on the top tray spray both sides with Pam and place back on the broiler drip pan. Lower the rack in your oven to halfway then turn it up to broil. Place steaks on broiler tray and lightly cover steaks with foil I make a tent with the foil and place it over them. I don't seal it just protect the meat from not cooking to quickly. Place in the oven and keep an eye on them turning them over when you feel they are about halfway through. I like my steaks well done so it's a little longer for me. Once you flip the steak remove the tent and let it brown on both sides to your liking! Serve!
  • ksills5
    ksills5 Posts: 20
    Options
    I think he got a few 6 oz sizzlers- any idea how much time to cook them for using the broiler? Also- can I get them to med-well with the broiler?
  • StwMomof3
    StwMomof3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Best steak I ever ate at home............Use an oven safe pan (cast iron works great), make it VERY HOT on the stove. Pat the steak dry, rub both sides with a little oil, then sprinkle with course salt and pepper. Put in the hot pan and don't touch for 30 sec. Flip and repeat for 30 sec. Put whole pan in the oven on 400 degrees for 3-6 min, take out and flip and put back in for 3-6 min.

You will have to adjust the time to how you like your steak. 3 min/side, medium rare, 6 min/side medium well.
    I think I got this from watching Alton Brown... see his website for more info.
    Gook Luck!
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I bought some steaks from there last month (there was some absurdly good deal through the today show before Christmas).

Along with the meat came a little booklet with cooking times for broiling, grilling, etc. You can probably get the same info from their web site.

Anyway, I broiled the fillet mignon per their directions, and it came out wonderfully! So delicious! With the pork chops I went by the internal temp they recommended, cooking them for a longer time than they suggested, and they were dry. :-(

Enjoy!