Moms that had a c-section (or more)

Options
I had a c-section when i had my son and I have found that a lot of excersizes irrate my scar area, and not in the good way! It gets very painful. So I have a little puch there and the rest of my tummy is kinda starting to flatten out. now i am wondering does anyone have tips or tricks that they used to help get rid of the pouch? I greatly appriciate your feed back!!

Replies

• WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 sections so I will be watching this post :smile:
  • redandthin
    Options
    I have also had two.... Also will be watching the post. No advice to offer, though. :)
  • vixincali
    Options
    Ooooh. Good question. I had two c-sections as well. That area has never been right since. There is this one spot on my lowed abdomen that is still sorta numb. I hope someone gives you some positive feedback :)
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    I've had 3 c-sections & my incision area is numb...hold long ago was yours?
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 c-sections. My scar is on the outside of my abdomen. (a few inches below my bellybutton) I never had problems with irritation, but my scar is kind of tucked in on itself. I have no idea how to get rid of that, I guess I was hoping it would all flatten out when I finally reach my goal weight. lol Oh well. I never planned on wearing a bikini anyway. :laugh: I hope someone can actually help on this subject. :smile:
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    I've had 2 as well - one 8 years ago and one 4 1/2 years ago. I have been stuck with a pouch as well. It gets smaller as I lose weight, but sags right above the incision. TMI??? Sorry. I do tons of crunches and other ab work and I feel stronger underneath, but the pouch remains.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    My last one was 4 1/2 years ago and the area still has no feeling there. I don't think that will ever change. No more kids for me. After 4 kids (including 3 c/s) I had those tubes cut and burned! lol
  • redhotsmacker
    redhotsmacker Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I am pretty sure you can't spot reduce weight loss. I have had 3 c-sections (2 horizontal and 1 vertical incisions). I have noticed though, that the pouch area seems to be the last place to go. It is slowly shrinking away like the rest of me. I am still working on losing, so I am not there yet, but I have hope that eventually the pouch will be almost non existent.

For the time being, I do lots of cardio as well as strength training to help with the abdominal muscles underneath the flab.
  • ZumbaTriad
    ZumbaTriad Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Had 3 surgeries on the same incision (2 were c-sections). Last one was 9 years ago .. WOW! That area is STILL numb and weak. Honestly, I still have issues sitting up without rolling over to my knees first.

I can also promise that when I get to my goal weight, I will still have a pouch, so short of a tummy tuck,, I don't think there's much I can do. Not trying to be negative ... just realistic. But that's OK! I can always hold that scar over my kids' heads! LOL

On the brighter side, it's not as sensitive as it used to be nor does it itch incessantly anymore. I used to work my abs hard and it was depressing because I could only do about 1/2 what everyone else in the class could. They did become stronger, but if you don't use it, you lose it! Really need to start back up ...
  • carina73
    carina73 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Ooooh. Good question. I had two c-sections as well. That area has never been right since. There is this one spot on my lowed abdomen that is still sorta numb. I hope someone gives you some positive feedback :)
    I also had 2 c-sections. stitches the first time. staples the second. OMG! i HATED the staples! :( and since the second, there's a large spot that's numb. I'm obese, so my belly is gross, and I don't know how disfigured I will be when I finally get to my goal weight. *shrug* sorry.

great thread tho. I'll keep an eye on it :happy:
  • countrydee
    Options
    Hello all! I had 2 c-sections and then a complete hysterectomy with the same incision. I have alot of numbness and ofcourse the pouch is there. Since my hysterectomy in '04 I have put on the pounds!! What do I do?
  • swalthes
    Options
    Yup, the dreaded C-section .... For me the area isnt sore on a regular basis, but the incision does get tender when the weather is bad. My doctor suggested doing crunches to help the muscles get stronger and to keep active in order to melt the fat away. Pounch will never go away 100% but with ALOT of effort and strenght training it doesnt have to be as bad. I just started dieting on January 1st so I cant say that this will work but it was the doctors words.
  • Shamrock40
    Options
    I have had 2 c-sections and have discussed this at length with my OB/GYN. Unfortunately, he said there isn't a lot to be done about the pooch. No matter how much weight I lose, it will shrink, but will never magically defy gravity and suck back up above my scar because the skin has stretched so much, the "elasticity" is gone. He is a gym jock, and very physically fit, so I trust him. Mine is so bad, my stomach hangs over onto my legs and pelvis. If you have a smaller pooch, you may have hope. The irritation is most likely nerve damage, as is the numbness. I have an area on the right side of my scar that is numb, as well.

My sweet hubby told me that we'll start saving for a tummy tuck (and maybe a boob job) as my prize for shedding all the weight. Talk about incentive!!!
  • dshea55
    dshea55 Posts: 14
    Options
    I had mine a little over 3 yrs ago. thats kind of what i figered. I was just hopeing maybe someone was like well this is what exercises worked to tame it a little. I told my hubby that when we are done having kids and i lose all the weight i am doing the mommy make over!!!
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I've had 3 c-sections and I hear ya on the pouch. Mine is awful (had 2 sets of twins so was stretched out pretty good). I don't think short of a tummy tuck it will ever go away. I try to get in lots of cardio and am hoping it will at least shrink up enough it looks okay when I'm in clothes. No irritation in my incision, but my last was 4+ years ago.
  • Thinwithin2010
    Thinwithin2010 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Im have had 4 sections myself and for about 3 years after the last (she turned 18 yesterday) I had some mild pain if I leaned on the incision.. I am cut from the bellybutton down. Now it is just a numb spot on my stomach. Good luck ladies..
  • sonia02
    Options
    I've had 3 kids and 2 c-sections and no pouch! I am also numb at the incision site, also. It could be genetics or that I have done pilates exercises and "8 min Abs" (an old video I've had forever) consistently after each baby, and/or the fact that I've always kept active and in shape. hope this helps!
  • Lizard863
    Lizard863 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had one too. Mine had to be reopened and I have an ugly scar. Sometime sit kind of aches. There is defintely a pouch. I am working on my abdominal muscles to imporve strength. Sometimes if I laugh the worng way my abdominal muscles get a charley horse.
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I had two sections and my pooch is poochiful that's for sure! I had my last one 11 years ago and it's still kind of numb and feels frozen. I don't think that will ever go away.

I read somewhere today that it's next to impossible to lose the pooch and that crunches aren't helpful because of the layer of fat that resists shrinking. Sorry to be so negative. (It is good to learn that some of us have had some success at reducing the size of our tummies anyway)
  • ZumbaTriad
    ZumbaTriad Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! My problem is when I sneeze ... OUCH!