How long did it take you to lose 50 pds?

Options
huckabeebug
huckabeebug Posts: 41 Member
I am wanting to lose 50 pounds. I keep waking up every morning thinking am i there yet? Ha! This is my first week really trying. But i dont want to get discouraged for not losing my 50 pounds yet. I know everyone is different and all depends on the person. So how long did it take you?

Replies

• hammondo
    hammondo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Everyones different I guess. I took about 4 months I guess, but they say 2lb a week is sensible, so 6 months should be reasonably realistic on that basis!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    A lot of it will depend on how much weight you have to lose, how accurate you are, how often life gets in the way, etc.

It took me about a year.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    It really is different for everyone. People with a lot of weight to lose will generally lose 50 lbs faster than people with ONLY 50 lbs to lose. Men tend to lose faster than women.

That said, I lost 50 lbs in about 5.5 months, coming in right around 2 lbs/week.
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    It was really really slow for me.. because I wasn't committed for the first few years.. gained, lost, gained lost... 866 days total. But 40 of the 50 lbs came off in the last 17 months. I know I took a long time, but I was able to gain muscle while I lose, and to let me skin shrink back.. so I don't have a lot of extra skin hanging which is nice. Still have some toning to do.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for 3 years at the end of this month. I lost 20 the first year, lost another 20 during the second and have gained and lost the same 10 pounds again and again for the third year. I have a goal to lose 50... and I will. The word "lifestyle" gets thrown around a LOT... but it's true for me. Good luck!!!! You'll get there!
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have lost approximately 48 pounds since May 1. However I must add a big discalimer, I started at 412 so the first chunk has come off rather quickly, now I am happy to see a 2 pound loss per week. It definitley depends on starting weight and activity level.
  • RosanaRosanaDana
    RosanaRosanaDana Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Huckabee, I know how hard it is to wait and how long 6 months seems when you want it all gone today. For thart reason people do crazy things like crash diets or drugs. Let me tell you something from personal experience, if I had gone the distance, fought the fight, paid the price my weight would have been gone YEARS AGO! Instead I always gave up. It was too hard, would take too long. Now I have 100 lbs. to lose and I will do it this time. Don't give up! Six months will fly by and you'll look and feel like a million bucks. Read the success stories here and it'll help motivate you.
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    Took me 12 months... when I truly dedicated myself... March 2013- March 2014... lost the last 50 lbs... Still more to go and currently in a plateau but I will beat it! :)
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Around a year for me :flowerforyou:
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Around a year for me :flowerforyou:

Me too!
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    About a year. But I've maintained that weight loss for 2 years now :)
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    The first 50: about 6 months

The next 50: almost a year

This last 20: over a year and still working on it
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Took me about 4 months at exercising 6 days a week for about 45 min. plus. But... I stalled after that and have only lost 10 lbs since.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    A lot of it will depend on how much weight you have to lose, how accurate you are, how often life gets in the way, etc.

It took me about a year.

Same here. 1 year. And two years later, still gone.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    It depends but eventually it will be off if you keep at it.

I will offer you some advice. Don't do anything crazy. Make small, easy changes that you can keep up for the rest of your life. Don't give up foods you love, just moderate them. For example, my bf would get fast food and would get a burger, large fries, large soda and chicken nuggets on the side. He started by subing a medium fries and soda. Then stopped getting chicken nuggets, then slowered the fries and soda to a regular/small size. He still gets to have his favorite meals but moderates it and only has it once or twice a week instead of every lunch.

I suggest reading when you get the chance. It's a good read, will help you see losing weight in a new light and for me, knowledge helps motivate me.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week
    10-40 lbs: 1 lb/week
    Less than 10 lbs: 0.5 lb/week
  • stevee290
    stevee290 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Like every one else said it varies from person to person. From 240-220 took about a month then 220-200 took 2 months 200-180 took 3 months 180-175 took 6 weeks etc...
  • wampahoofus
    wampahoofus Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It took me 4 months. I think that this is the very short end of what can be expected. It seems to me that men lose weight faster. My aunt took a year and gave me a hard time for it.

I was eating between 1000 and 1400 calories a day during this period and walking 10,000 steps a day and that did it for me.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    oops, double post. dont mind me
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    4 months
  • gemmy99
    gemmy99 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    about 3 years
    took my time, but it was worth it
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!