Rookie trying to gain muscle

Options
okay, I need help if anyone would be so kind. I am trying to gain muscle, my weight is 116 and my calorie intake is 1400 . I am not seeing any results. I work out 3 to 6 days a week from 30 minutes to 70 minutes. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    okay, I need help if anyone would be so kind. I am trying to gain muscle, my weight is 116 and my calorie intake is 1400 . I am not seeing any results. I work out 3 to 6 days a week from 30 minutes to 70 minutes. What am I doing wrong?

First up, you need a calorie surplus to gain muscle, so you probably aren't eating enough.

Next up, you need to be doing resistance training, not just cardio.

How are you working out?

Are you lifting weights?

Are you following a prebuilt program, or winging it? Which program? How many sets/reps?

How long have you been doing it?
  • jobaby894
    jobaby894 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do resistance training. about 3 to 5 days a week. I do hand weights, bowflex , along with cardio ( I had to make myself put this in, I was only doing resistance training) . I have somewhat of a program and some what winging it. I work at a college and the athletic director set me on a small program. I do 30 seconds on 30seconds off of Squats. push-ups, lunges, planks and burpees. I do 4 circuits of these. I started in Jan. when I stopped smoking. Does that help?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You should be doing heavy compound lifts, not push ups and burpees. Stick to squats, deadlifts, bench press, pull ups, barbell rows, and overhead press. You should be using a weight that is heavy enough to cause you to fail in the 8-12 rep range. Body weight exercises will not cut it. Also you need to be eating at a caloric surplus as mentioned before, and consuming enough protein (0.82 grams per pound of body weight minimum).
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    You need to keep the cardio at a minimum, eat 1700 calories extra a week on top of your tdee (which is definitely much higher than 1400) and get lifting heavy 3 x per week, adequate protein, and lots of rest in between to build the muscle.

Bulking is by far the best thing I ever did for my body. I've been fat phobic all my life. Ended up ironically 30% fat and no shape.

I'm about 18% now. It's like Goldie Hawns butt in Death Becomes Her. I've turned the clock back. That's a nice treat as I'm 43 and shouldn't be looking the way I do!

Give me your height, age weight and I'll help you find your numbers. Or go to Scooby's website. Carefully you don't screw up your numbers with too much cardio, it defeats the object of the bulk. You can do all that stuff afterwards when you cut again.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Since you work at a college, I'm guessing you have access to power/squat rack and barbell? If you do, check out Strong Lifts, Ice Cream Fitness, Starting Strength. All good beginner programs.

If you don't have access to a power rack, a good starting progressive BW program is Convict Conditioning.

Find out your TDEE, eat about 300-400 calories above it to bulk. After you've added some weight, eat 300-400 calories below TDEE, while still strength training to cut. No cardio is necessary. If you like it, do it a couple times a week for 15-20 mins. Use cardio a little more while cutting if you have trouble getting those last couple pounds off.

Get 1 gram of protein / lb of lean body weight and 0.4 grams of fat / lb of BW every day. Use the rest for carbs.
  • jobaby894
    Options
    AWE!!! Okay, I can do that. I am not taking enough calories or Protein and also not enough weight! PERFECT!!!
  • jobaby894
    Options
    I am 42, 5'5 at 116. Thank you so much
  • jobaby894
    Options
    I think I do access to it but only for a couple of weeks. The athletes will be back and then it is off limits. I will check out the Convict Conditioning, along with cutting the cardio. Thanks so much
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options

ah girlfriend. you need a serious body building coach, like me, not some opinions on a free website. Opinions are only worth that much.

for women, it takes years of hard work and very specific eating in conjunction with your exercise to gain muscle mass without gaining fat. Don't believe anyone but a CPT with credentials, references and clients before you purchase any program or book. Books are worthless with out a trainer! Programs are worthless with out a customized diet.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    I am 42, 5'5 at 116. Thank you so much

WOMEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] -161

Your calculated BMR is 1180 calories. This is the number of calories that your body burns on a daily basis for non-movement related functions (organ function, brain function, respiration, etc). Basically it's the number of calories you'd burn every day if you were in a coma. To find your TDEE, you simply need to multiply your BMR (1180) by an activity factor from the list below.

1.2 = Sedentary (Desk job, & Little Formal Exercise)
    1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Light daily activity & light exercise 1-3 days a week)
    1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately daily Activity & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
    1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise 6-7 days a week)
    1.9-2.2 = Extremely Active (Athlete in ENDURANCE training or VERY HARD physical job)

In the activity factor description when it refers to exercise, it really means cardio since that's where the calorie burns come from. Once you multiply your BMR by one of the activity factors you will have your TDEE which is the number of calories you would need to eat every day to maintain your weight. In order to bulk, multiply your TDEE by 1.1 to get your calorie intake for a bulk. Also make sure you're eating at least 95g of protein a day, preferably with the majority of it from animal sources (chicken, beef, pork, fish, milk, cheese, etc). Then you should be good to go.
  • AJ_G
    Options

ah girlfriend. you need a serious body building coach, like me, not some opinions on a free website. Opinions are only worth that much.

for women, it takes years of hard work and very specific eating in conjunction with your exercise to gain muscle mass without gaining fat. Don't believe anyone but a CPT with credentials, references and clients before you purchase any program or book. Books are worthless with out a trainer! Programs are worthless with out a customized diet.

You absolutely do not need a body building coach or a nutrition coach. I know a ton of women who have put on muscle with a bulk and lost the fat after with a cut all by themselves. You do not need a dietitian or a customized diet. Set up proper macronutrient, micronutrient, and fiber goals, and eat what you'd like to hit them every day, lift hard and heavy and you will bulk successfully.
  • jobaby894
    Options
    :smile: thank you so much. This is so helpful.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

You absolutely do not need a body building coach or a nutrition coach. I know a ton of women who have put on muscle with a bulk and lost the fat after with a cut all by themselves. You do not need a dietitian or a customized diet. Set up proper macronutrient, micronutrient, and fiber goals, and eat what you'd like to hit them every day, lift hard and heavy and you will bulk successfully.

agreed.
  • jobaby894
    Options
    I really appreciate the advise but I decided to do this on my own. I do have access to coaches, but thank you so much for the advice.
  • jobaby894
    Options
    Thank you for thank you so much. I think I have the numbers. You have no idea how helpful you have been.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If you haven't looked at this already, this is a good site to help calculate your intake: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Just for reference, I'm 5'4" and started my bulk at 121. Towards the end, I was eating around 2200 calories in order to keep gaining. (I gained about 8 pounds in 5 months). I also wasted 2 months before then not eating enough because I had drastically underestimated what it would take for me to gain.
  • Springfield1970
    Options

Thats so funny you should say that. This whole website is about helping each other through the bull and money wasting rubbish.

I've never had a trainer and have gone from couch potato to potential triathlete competitor for my country. I've gone from 30% body fat and a 35 minute 5k to 15-18% body fat and a 21min 5k. I've no current injuries and do it all on a shoestring! No supplements except omega 3 tabs and a box of glucose. I squat deadlift etc with perfect form using a mirror and youtube. I've had a trainer say that I'm the most natural lifter they've seen, and I should be a PT.

Books:

Matt Fitzgerald- Racing Weight
    Joe Friel- triathletes training bible.
    Lyle MacDonald UD2
    Strong Curves, Body for Life, youtube.
    MFP MY PALS, countless fitness experts on this site, giving hour after hour of advice.
    No fitness instructor has come close to what you get here.

Ah, girlfriend indeed!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Thats so funny you should say that. This whole website is about helping each other through the bull and money wasting rubbish.

I've never had a trainer and have gone from couch potato to potential triathlete competitor for my country. I've gone from 30% body fat and a 35 minute 5k to 15-18% body fat and a 21min 5k. I've no current injuries and do it all on a shoestring! No supplements except omega 3 tabs and a box of glucose. I squat deadlift etc with perfect form using a mirror and youtube. I've had a trainer say that I'm the most natural lifter they've seen, and I should be a PT.

Books:

Matt Fitzgerald- Racing Weight
    Joe Friel- triathletes training bible.
    Lyle MacDonald UD2
    Strong Curves, Body for Life, youtube.
    MFP MY PALS, countless fitness experts on this site, giving hour after hour of advice.
    No fitness instructor has come close to what you get here.

Ah, girlfriend indeed!

Now this girl....I would marry...lol.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    OP i recommend aiming for a half pound gain per week, as you can usually only gain 1/4lb muscle per week approx. You CANNOT AVOID fat gain, but you can minimize it by being very lean to start, and very careful with your numbers.

I advise 1700/7 about 250 calories extra per day.

Cut at 100/200 calories per day. You're slim enough to have the time to sloooow cut.

I loved how I was a the top of my bulk and would have been happy there but needed to cut for the speed.
  • jobaby894
    Options
    I think that is what I have been doing is under estimating. Thank you.