Best workout routine to lose weight?

Options
I have been on my diet and some jogging, which has helped me lose 15 pounds. I'm still a beginner at this so I have no idea how to do the following. I love jogging, currently I have just started doing insanity today and I'd like to know how much exercise can I do in one day. I am gonna do insanity every morning and I was wondering if I could also go out and jog for a while because I've read some articles that say it can be too much for your heart if you exercise a lot. So if I combine insanity in the morning with a jog in the afternoon and possibly some weight training, would it damage me?

Replies

• mg1123
    mg1123 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I did not lose weight using Insanity. I gained endurance, possibly muscle mass, but if you're looking specifically to lose weight, you may want to table Insanity until you are looking to gain strength and endurance.
    Here is a comparison of the Beach Body fitness programs: http://www.beachbody.com/category/fitness_programs/compare_fitness_programs.do

I personally did much better on TurboFire when it came to losing weight.

I have tried P90X, TurboFire, Insanity, Brazil Butt Lift, T25, P90X3, ChaLean Extreme, and Les Mills Pump. I bought the programs while I still had the Beach Body discount, so I still have them, but do not necessarily use them all anymore. The ones that helped me the most are TurboFire and Brazil Butt Lift. However - I was not doing what I needed to do diet-wise. I thought I was, but I was hurting myself by using Shakeology, for example - since it turns out I have a problem with dairy.

Honestly, though, you can do a lot by taking advantage of what you already have. I used my Wii Fit to start with - I lost my first 15 pounds just walking and using the Wii Fit.
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. You weight loss has more to do with your diet (staying in a caloric deficit by TRACKING YOUR MACROS) than it has to do with how much you exercise. Before you start going crazy by working out twice a day, make sure your diet is in order.
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Options
    I did not lose weight using Insanity. I gained endurance, possibly muscle mass, but if you're looking specifically to lose weight, you may want to table Insanity until you are looking to gain strength and endurance.

Have to disagree with you there. You can gain endurance and lose weight by doing Insanity (or any of the trendy workout video programs) if you stay in a caloric deficit. If you gained muscle mass on Insanity, then it had more to do with your diet than the actual Insanity workouts.
  • mg1123
    Options

Have to disagree with you there. You can gain endurance and lose weight by doing Insanity (or any of the trendy workout video programs) if you stay in a caloric deficit. If you gained muscle mass on Insanity, then it had more to do with your diet than the actual Insanity workouts.
    Like I said, my diet was not what it should have been. However, I also suffered from one sore knee and one sore shoulder the entire time I was doing the program. I am used to plyometric workouts, as TurboFire does a lot. However, the ones in Insanity are best performed with an already fit body, in my opinion. I personally feel it is better suited for when you are trying to build endurance and strength. Just my opinion.
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Options
    However, the ones in Insanity are best performed with an already fit body, in my opinion. I personally feel it is better suited for when you are trying to build endurance and strength. Just my opinion.

Ah, that makes more sense. Agree there. Start slow and build your way up to something as intense as Insanity.
  • GaijinAdrian
    GaijinAdrian Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I was on Amazon doing a search on turbo fire and there are like 2 or 3 dvd series I think. One said workout starter. Is that the right one? Also, on YouTube I saw an infomercial and a woman said it's low impact so it's easy on the joints which is a plus for me because my knee is a bit bad. I can jump around and all but not for a long period of time and so this seems interesting.
  • mg1123
    Options
    But back to the some of the other questions - yes, you can overwork your body. Everything I've seen says to give yourself at least one day of rest in the week. Another day might be spent walking, bicycling, or doing another activity like that. I personally do not jog or run because I have some bad alignment in my knees and ankles. I was walking regularly at lunch, but am now doing pilates twice a week at lunch, and will go back to walking at lunch when it's not 100 degrees outside.

You can do cardio in one part of the day and weight-bearing activities in another. Or back-to-back. You should not work the same muscle groups two days in a row. Pay attention to your joints and any unusual pain, especially since you've chosen a very intense plyometric program. Be sure to stretch afterwards. Don't skip the yoga/stretch days.
  • mg1123
    Options
    I was on Amazon doing a search on turbo fire and there are like 2 or 3 dvd series I think. One said workout starter. Is that the right one? Also, on YouTube I saw an infomercial and a woman said it's low impact so it's easy on the joints which is a plus for me because my knee is a bit bad. I can jump around and all but not for a long period of time and so this seems interesting.
    This is the one I have (if the link works), so you'll want to look for it. If you're getting it on amazon, you probably want to be sure you're getting it from beachbody itself on there. They do have a money-back guarantee if you get it from them.
    https://extranet.securefreedom.com/MillionDollarBody/csShopping/ShoppingCart_Detail.asp?PriceID=151073&Cat=Fitness Program|TurboFire

I'm really interested in trying the PiYo program, but even with the free shipping, I can't spend the money right now. But I am currently doing TurboFire. It's been my go-to. There are high-impact exercises, but there is a person in each of the workout DVDs that is doing the low-impact variation of the routines, so you can follow her.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit to lose weight

Exercise for health/fitness.

It's a common mistake to think "if something is good, more of it must be better?". Actually fewer, higher quality workouts in a week will be better than a massive volume of poorly executed sessions.

TL;DR: Get your diet in check. Get 3-4 quality workouts in a week. Lose weight, get healthy.
  • MiaCane
    MiaCane Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Currently Im trying Orange Theory Fitness, I like it bc it incorporates HIIT. The only set back is the cost ($130 a month)!

I'm definitely looking for other options.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit to lose weight

Exercise for health/fitness.

It's a common mistake to think "if something is good, more of it must be better?". Actually fewer, higher quality workouts in a week will be better than a massive volume of poorly executed sessions.

TL;DR: Get your diet in check. Get 3-4 quality workouts in a week. Lose weight, get healthy.

^Absolutely agree.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Didn't lose much weight but a grip of inches

Lift heavy

Thank-You!