What do you do when you can't find a food/restaurant?

Options
The kids are gone skiing with the church youth this weekend. Hubby texted me that he wanted wings. So I walked extra laps to make up for the way extra calories I knew I'd be eating. Ever heard of ****'s Wings? They have an awesome mushroom/swiss burger. That's what I ate. Thought I'd find it here but it's not and now I haven't a clue how much I just ate. It could be anywhere from 300-800 calories. I don't even know how many ounces it was. So how do you guess?

And for in the future, do you ever ask the waitress to find out how many calories are in something that you're going to order? I heard just yesterday something about restaurants being required to post calorie counts, and a debate about whether it would affect food choices. I, for one, would appreciate it!

Replies

• kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I have a Calorie King small book that I carry everywhere I go. It's got restaurants info along with other food info so you can kind of put it together. If you can do internet on your phone you can also use the calorieking.com website to find your info. Depending on the size of that burger and how they cooked it, it is probably around 700-800 calories. But that's just a guess. Some restaurants do post calorie info but just for their healthy choices menu items, like Applebees and IHOP. Good luck finding out about those wings!
  • candycana
    candycana Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! I have one of those somewhere. Thanks for the reminder. That might help.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I was going to respond to this in a not very nice way but all I have to say is we are all fat or overweight, our children are starting to get type 2 diabetes and the early screening age for cholesterol is now 8, Yes I said 8. Most restaurants serve 2-3 serving for every plate, we know this and yet we continue to shovel it in. Yes it is a wonderful idea for restaurants to have at least a website for you to access the nutritional information but it really boils down to being responsible for yourself and making the best choice possible, but lets face it there is no such thing as healthy fast food either. Like kappyblu said, even the "healthy choices" on menus are still a whopping 700+ calories.

ON the flip side, good job getting a little extra exercise in before going and a cheeseburger once in awhile won't hurt, I mean you gotta live life too. I would recommend looking up your restaurant choice prior to going and looking at the information and making an informed choice. consider splitting meals too, we are a family of 4 including a teenage boy and we have found that we spend a lot less money and we are all satisfied...but not stuffed when we split two entrees (and no apps).
  • mikaselm
    Options
    Most restaurants also have the nutritional information posted on their websites, although it can be hard to find sometimes.
  • candycana
    Options
    I was going to respond to this in a not very nice way

LOL. I looked it up before we left and saw the restaurant wasn't listed. I was considering what my hamburger with swiss at HOME would be. I did NOT consider that this wonderfully tasty burger would be so loaded with "juices" that it would actually leak through the bottom bun. So now that I'm home I'm looking at other restaurant swiss burgers. Yowser! Guess that's what I should have done when I didn't find the restaurant listed. Live and learn.

I also find it quite humorous that the name of the restaurant was bleeped out by the site. Okay....so I'm putting down the higher amount. I should have stopped at half the burger. :(
  • candycana
    Options
    Most restaurants also have the nutritional information posted on their websites, although it can be hard to find sometimes.

I've looked there too. They have their entire menu posted....but no nutritional info. I'd paste the link, but I"m not sure I'm supposed to do that.