How long did it take you to lose 50 pds?

Options

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    ETA: What TheStephil said

Took me about a year for the 1st 50. Lost about 30 in the 2nd year, about 15 the 3rd year and have pretty much held steady for the last year.

A reasonable rate of loss for someone with 50 pounds to lose is about 1.5 pounds per week. However, the closer you get to goal, the lower that goes. Once you get about 15 pounds down, 1 pound per week would be more reasonable, then 1/2 a pound per week once you have 25 or less to lose. So it could take you a year or more.

But who cares? The most important thing is that you're getting healthier. Just take it one day/week at a time and learn as you go so you develop new healthier habits and can maintain more easily once you get to goal. Good luck!
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Haven't lost 50lb yet but on my way! I lost the first half in 3 months. My ticker says 24 but it's more like 27, (my starting weight was about 3lb heavier than when I first joined.)

I'm not expecting to lose the second half that fast. I'm hoping 6 months for the next 25lb, but we'll see.
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Around a year for me :flowerforyou:
    Me too!

Me three!
  • p00ki3nb00
    p00ki3nb00 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It took me about 6 Months to lose 45lbs, Got serious and strict on my exercises and diet that it took me A year and 3 months to hit my 100! Hard part is not getting discouraged! losing 1 pound is 1 pound, keep going and dont stop!
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I took a year to take off that much.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 in 10 months. Therefore i lost 50 in 5 months. That's about 2lbs a week. Which is the safest way you can go about it! So you're looking at 5 months at minimum for 50lbs. Anything much more than that isn't good on your body.
  • AliceSwarthout
    AliceSwarthout Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    when I started, I only had to lose 30 to be in the healthy weight range. I lost 50 in 5 months, but I would not recommend it. I hardly ate, and I exercised constantly. Plus I gained about 25 of it back. This time around I've lost like 12 pounds in 4 months, but I'm maintaining really well.
    ETA: It really depends how much you have to lose :flowerforyou:
  • iseelondon
    iseelondon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It took about 7.5 mo.
    I'm 5' 4" and originally weighed 225 lbs. I now weigh 175 lb

I started working out and watching my food intake on 25/11/2013. I aim for 1200 calories/day (per MFP guidelines). I do aerobic exercise (mostly treadmill) 30-45 min. about 5 days a week and light strength training and/or Pilates 2 times a week. I finally hit the 50 lb mark 2 days ago (7/7/2014).
  • SheBeButLittleSheisFierce
    Options
    Ive lost 30 in 6 months, it took me about 4 months to show any weightloss at all actually. I have been working out witha trainer though and so gaining muscle at the same time. Staring at a scale can be frustrating. Although i still have my goal for body weight (we all do) I am basking in the glory of clothing that is too big or actually fitting. I try to stay away from the scale on a frequent basis because I dont want that to discourage me even though I KNOW I am progressing and doing better.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    It will have taken me approximate 2.5 years to lose 50 pounds. BUT I spent a year going up and down 5 lbs before I switched tactics.

Just remember that it took awhile for you to gain 50 lbs.
  • huckabeebug
    huckabeebug Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I know it will take a while, Just gotta stay motivated!!!!!
  • ddkphotos
    ddkphotos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    at 46 lbs lost and that's been over the past year... did well the first 6 months then stalled losing and gaining the same 5 lbs... now back at losing... 4.5 more to go till my goal!!! take it one day at a time - one wise decision at a time... don't beat yourself up if you fall of the wagon - every day is a fresh new day!
  • ddkphotos
    ddkphotos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    congrats!!!
    It took about 7.5 mo.
    I'm 5' 4" and originally weighed 225 lbs. I now weigh 175 lb

I started working out and watching my food intake on 25/11/2013. I aim for 1200 calories/day (per MFP guidelines). I do aerobic exercise (mostly treadmill) 30-45 min. about 5 days a week and light strength training and/or Pilates 2 times a week. I finally hit the 50 lb mark 2 days ago (7/7/2014).
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm up to 46lbs in 101 days so thats a little over three months.
  • Tilda_P
    Tilda_P Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    About 4 months.
  • determinedgirl1
    determinedgirl1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It took me 7 months. I took it 1 lb at a time. Keep up the hard work and you will get there.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 lbs 3 times (twice after kids). Each time took about a year, give or take. Good luck, slow and steady wins the race. You'll get there.
  • Beautiful_Pain
    Beautiful_Pain Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    6months.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    2 months, 7 days for the first 50lbs but i had a lot to lose.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    5 and a half months. Still got 20 to go. But I didn't set a time limit on it, just the target weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!