Net calories

Options
2»

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I do log everything accurately just not on her. My problem is knowing the right amount if calories to consume. If say mfp tells me to eat 1400 plus I burn 500 through exercise I will get bang on 1900 kcals per day. I would eat 250 less a day if I know what my total calories were to be.
    Your TDEE (total day energy expenditure) is by definition the number of calories at which your weight will stabilize. So if you're not losing any weight, you are eating at TDEE.

To lose weight at your size, you must eat TDEE minus 250 calories. The only way to do that is to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly for several weeks, then reevaluate.

Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. If what you're doing right now is not working, then follow the advice you've been given by all of us here in this thread. Logging is simple, but it ain't easy. Logging in MFP works.
  • jamieses
    jamieses Posts: 11
    Options
    If I followed all the advice I'd be eating different amounts of calories and also i'am logging my intake I'm just not sure the total calories in a day to shoot for? Hence the reason I started the thread. I was given the net number of 1400 per day plus excercise now I'm told this is wrong. Bearing in mind the only excercise I'm doing at the moment is mostly walking which according to mfp burns around 500 kcals. Maybe I should set my goals to lose 1lb per week and try that. Thanks for input much appreciated.
    I do log everything accurately just not on her. My problem is knowing the right amount if calories to consume. If say mfp tells me to eat 1400 plus I burn 500 through exercise I will get bang on 1900 kcals per day. I would eat 250 less a day if I know what my total calories were to be.
    Your TDEE (total day energy expenditure) is by definition the number of calories at which your weight will stabilize. So if you're not losing any weight, you are eating at TDEE.

To lose weight at your size, you must eat TDEE minus 250 calories. The only way to do that is to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly for several weeks, then reevaluate.

Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. If what you're doing right now is not working, then follow the advice you've been given by all of us here in this thread. Logging is simple, but it ain't easy. Logging in MFP works.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I believe MFP's estimate is a bit high. No one is burning that many calories just by walking, especially since it's something people do on a daily basis. The issue with eating back exercise calories is that the estimates can be wrong. This is why many of us will suggest either following the TDEE - 20% method or just upping your activity level. If all you doing is walking, make sure your account is set at 1 lb per week and lightly active. That will increase your calories a bit. Eat that amount of calories for 4 to 6 weeks and see what your average per week loss is. Once you have that number, you can figure out your true maintenance or TDEE is based on your current exercise plan. Obviously as you exercise increases, so does your TDEE. Honestly, that is the most simple way of doing things and easiest to be quantitative with.