Greek yogurt

Options
I have seen alot of nutrition articles that suggest that you eat plain greek yogurt. I really don't like plain greek yogurt not even when I add fresh fruit with it. Would it make a lot of difference if I substitute the flavored greek yogurt for the plain. I really like the Yoplait low fat 100 calorie vanilla. I read the labels on both the plain and the flavored and didn't see any difference in the numbers on the back. Can someone help me out. Thanks

Replies

• hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    While I'm sure there will be at least one person (there always is) to tell you the added sugars and sweeteners are the devil and terrible for you, I personally don't see any harm in consuming them. I'm a bit skeptical of aspartame, but hey, if they FDA deemed it safe then I guess I should trust them (sometimes you can't worry about every single sugar substitute because everything else added to your food is likely just as bad in one way or another, and avoiding everything is either just not possible or way too time consuming). If you aren't diabetic, I see nothing wrong with eating sweetened yogurt - it tastes better, and gets you to consume more calcium and protein for a reasonable amount of calories. My favorite is Dannon's Light & Fit Greek yogurt (80 calories each), but I like Oikos, too. At the end of the day it's calories that matter the most, so just make sure you find a brand that you enjoy and can work into your diary! :)
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Dont worry I dont like the plain either i think it tastes like curdled milk. For the best quality greek yogurt I would recommend finding 0% greek yogurt that are flavored. They taste great and are extremely healthy.
  • ctperdant
    ctperdant Posts: 19
    Options
    Greek yogurt is higher in protein but lower in carbs so it's better than regular yogurt for weight loss and weight maintenance. Having some added fruit will increase the sugar (which are carbs), but it if tastes better that way why not? If you're tracking reasonable well you should be OK.
  • amarie878
    amarie878 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Go for the flavored ones. If eating them and tracking works for you, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you find you eat them, track and aren't seeing much of a difference, you can start examining things like how much sugar you can reduce in your diet and see if it makes a difference in any weightloss.

I usually end up adding flavored protein powder to mine and that usually will have some type of sugar in it anyway, but still much lower than the added sugar yogurts in stores.
  • MamaFerny
    MamaFerny Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The only way I can eat plain greek yogurt alone is by adding protein powder (any flavor) to it. 1/2 cup greek yogurt, 1/2 scoop (or a little bit more) protein powder, mix very well, let set/thicken in fridge 30 minutes and... voila Protein Pudding Snack!!! It is slightly tart, but pretty darn good... almost like you're cheating heehee :) Also, plain greek yogurt is a great substitute for sour cream and/or mayo ;)
  • chereedoggett
    chereedoggett Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses I got. I appreciate them:smile:
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    The sugar content is usually higher in the flavored.
  • chereedoggett
    Options
    Oh. okay thanks. I didn't think about the sugar substitute. But thank you. I don't feel as bad now for using the flavored yogurt. I am doing for two weeks the two week fat loss from Dr. Oz show and it says no sugar or sugar substitute for two weeks. Also no dairy products except for the plain greek yogurt. I was putting it in my protein shakes for breakfast in the morning sometimes. But I still like the flavored (vanilla) in my smoothie too.
  • chereedoggett
    Options
    I don't know. Because when I read the label the sugar content was the same for the plain and the flavored.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I add protein powder to plain greek as well, and also add in some sugar free syrup or other sweetener to get rid of the tart taste. You can also add crystal light type packets, or sugar free pudding mix, etc.

Of course, at that point you may as well get the flavored kind :)
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt added to shredded chicken with onions and such make a great chicken salad and very high in protein. You don't just have to eat it with fruit you can use it as a mayo substitute in some things.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I eat both the Yoplait Greek and Dannon Light & Fit Greek varieties of flavored yogurt. It certainly tastes better than plain yogurt, which tastes like something between sour cream and mayonnaise (the two things I substitute with Greek yogurt); nothing I'd eat right out of the container. Blech. I know some people add PB2 and some sweetener and I'm sure that makes it better, but I don't think there's anything wrong with eating the already flavored stuff from the grocery store. The Dannon yogurts have 8 g of sugar, which isn't bad. It tastes better, it's got 12 g protein, and it's only 80-100 calories per serving. Go for it.
  • chereedoggett
    Options
    That is such a good idea. Thanks. never thought of that.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt has become a staple for me, but I put a small handful of almonds in it. A 100ish calorie greek yogurt with about 12 almonds is roughly 200 calories and is quite honestly really, really good. I find myself craving it and as part of my lunch it carries me pretty well into the late afternoon.

Without the almonds I find it just ok and I'm not shy about buying the flavored kind. As a matter of fact I usually buy whatever the best deal is in the store at the time - Chobani, Yoplait, whatever. Even if they have more sugar it's still better for me than the 1200 calorie Chik fil a lunches I used to eat.... ;-)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you like the sweetened kind, go for that. I've switched back to plain because I get more satiety adding my own stuff to it than buying the already sweetened kind, and I can always add a bit of stevia.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I use Chobani 0% and I hate the taste of it, but I love the protein in it. To make it tolerable I use a SINGLE serving of sugar free / fat free pudding mix (whatever flavor you like) and about 3-4 packets of Splenda.