fitbitt flex or jawbone up24? help

Options
lizzy2b
lizzy2b Posts: 11 Member
Hey guys!!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to read this ;)

I have decided to take my health serious and start to make wise decisions... Or at least try to.

I need your in-put please. I want to get a fitness tracker to help me with my new mission, but I don't know which one to choose. I have been looking at the fitbit flex and the jawbone up24. Having a device that is accurate with the steps and calories is my main priority.

So far i have noticed some users complain that the flex is not very accurate or the fitt app has limitations for logging food for South Africans?

And that the jawbone itself breaks within a few months of purchase without a known cause?

I would really appreciate your comments and advice. Who knows maybe you can suggest a fitness tracker I haven't thought of ;)

Replies

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit flex and love it. I have it linked to MFP and between the two I have good tracking. I also like knowing my sleep history also. Good Luck,
  • hekate89
    hekate89 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I also have the fitbit flex and I think it is great! The biggest downside to it is that it doesnt have a screen, so you have to rely on the app or your computer to see the exact statistics. The statistics it gives you is also great! I have linked it to MFP, so i basically log my food here, and my activities on fitbit (or endomondo). I haven't tried the Jawbone, but I can recommend Fitbit=)
  • lizzy2b
    Options
    How long have you had your flex? Thanks for the feedback.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have the flex and love it. My water aerobics instructor had the jawbone and four of them have broken since she got her first one at Christmas. They replaced it each time but she has given up and is going with a flex.

ETA: I bought mine a little over 4 months ago.
  • SuperlativeLTD
    Options
    I love the fitbit flex. I've been using it for about 6 weeks. A friend has had one for about 6 months, we both think they are cool. I think it works well with MFP and think the steps are accurate. I take the calories earned with a massive pinch of salt though!
  • accountingchickMEM
    accountingchickMEM Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I got the FitBit Flex for Christmas last year and I absolutely love it!! It seems very accurate and I really like the sleep tracking function. I also have it linked to MFP so my steps and activity automatically sync. Best of luck to you!
  • hekate89
    hekate89 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    How long have you had your flex? Thanks for the feedback.

I've had mine about 2 months now=)
  • momswanson
    momswanson Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I had the Fitbit Force which was recalled due to the skin rash issue. I did not send it back because I did not have a problem with it as other users have. However, the clasp on the Force was absolutely terrible! It easily became undone and fell off unnoticed. After receiving the Force as a gift I went on-line and read reviews about it and there were many mentions of the bad clasp, one woman even wrote that she was on her third Force and had taken to securing it with duct tape! Therefore, I tried to be sure that I kept the Force securely fastened, but it fell off many times, frequently in bed, but other times in an airplane, in my car, at work, in a rental car, at a gas station.... you get the picture. Finally, the Saturday before Father's day this year it disappeared for good. I did a lot of research when looking to replace it and I just got the Jawbone UP24! It is awesome! I have had it for about a week and it has NEVER fallen off! I have noticed that it is far less generous with the steps and calories than the Force, but I always assumed that the Force was too generous based on my experience. The apps are about the same, in my opinion. I did not get the Flex, which is about the same as the Jawbone UP24! because it has the same clasp and some reviews have mentioned that it falls off! My co-worker has a Jawbone UP and has been using it since Christmas and has not had a single problem with it and she totally loves it! I recommend the Jawbone unless you want to run the risk of having to replace the Flex when inadvertently comes undone! I hope this helps!
  • lizzy2b
    Options
    For Earinabby,

At home we have a saying if you purchase something you better do it right the first time. Im glad you told me about your instructors scenario. I really do not want experience the same thing.

I really appreciate all the comments. It was the flex that started getting me curious about fitness trackers. So none of you have experienced it being to sensitive if worn on your dominant wrist?
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,217 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have a Jawbone Up, and it DID break on me at exactly 90 days of use. So they do break, which is an issue, but I contacted customer support and after some light troubleshooting, they mailed me a new one. So I had a 3 day break of not having the tracker, but it was replaced fairly hassle free. I previously had a fitbit, and I loved it. It was the recalled one that caused rashes (and DID cause a rash for me - yippee), so I sent it back and went with the Jawbone instead. Both of them are awesome and both of them sync with MFP, which is awesome. One difference between the two - the Jawbone is water resistant. I've worn it to the beach as well as in the shower with no issues. The Jawbone DOES track steps AND sleep, but does NOT track stairs. If you'd like to count the number of stairs you've taken in a given day, go with the Fitbit.
  • gnicole26
    gnicole26 Posts: 1
    Options
    When it comes to buying a lot of things (electronics in particular), I check out cnet for reviews. Attached is their link to the top 5 fitness trackers:

http://www.cnet.com/videos/best-fitness-trackers/

I hope that helps.
  • JenniferOBX5
    JenniferOBX5 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit flex! I have had it since last September and never had any problems with it.

So many companies are coming out with these activity trackers, still seems like Fitbit is the most popular and supported.
  • mtabeling
    mtabeling Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am part of a study @ Hopkins and have the fitbit that attaches to your waistband or bra. I attach mine to my bra, and I love it. I have become a bit of a slave to my fitbit. Humorist David Sedaris experienced the same thing: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014/06/30/140630fa_fact_sedaris?currentPage=all
  • momswanson
    Options
    For Earinabby,

Was you instructor wearing the Jawbone in the pool?
  • MRSpivey
    MRSpivey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've had my FitBit Flex since August 26, 2013. I have been happy with it. I was wanting to get the Force until they pulled it due to some people experiencing a skin reaction. I'm in hopes that they will come out with something equal to or better than the Force in the near future!
  • Ryderod
    Ryderod Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Here's my take as a South African, I initially looked at the FitBit, Fitbug and Jawbone when researching what activity tracker to use. I checked out their websites, especially what the free version would offer, and also needed the product to link to Discovery Vitality.
    I do not like the wrist worn units, so I eventually opted for what I concluded to be the best item for my needs, the FitBit One.
    Yes, the FitBit food database is not really very conclusive for South African foods which prompted me to look for another solution, I first tried Fat Secret and then MFP. Ended up running all three for about a month to see which worked better.
    My findings, Fat Secret has by far the best database, not over duplicated, accurate values, (I still use it to check up the bad entries here on MFP), and has all our major stores and restaurants, but it does not link with any other apps or devices.
    MFP has the best interaction with other apps and devices by far, my FitBit and iHealth scale work seamlessly. I first thought the huge database was great and easy to use, but over time am battling with the huge problem of many duplicated entries and the fact that there are limited ways to saving what I often use.
    This has led me back full circle to where I am duplicating both here and on FitBit to finally choose one as my partner. I actually enjoy the more accurate FitBit database and as more of us South Africans use it, am starting to find more local stuff. The best part is that all foods saved as favorites and all saved meals remain in the side bar, so nothing I've added is ever lost.
    It does take a bit of initial adding, but my diet is fairly repetitive to a large extent, so I am now reaping the rewards of 95% of my foods already being saved.

I do find the FitBit site is slower than MFP or Fat Secret and even hangs at times, the biggest flaw at the moment IMO.

Most of these items are fairly new here, so I'm not sure what kind of after sales support we will get from places like Dion Wired, Sportsman's Warehouse, or Incredible Connection when things like the silicone holders or straps eventually fail due to fair wear and tear. We might have to wait for replacement stuff.

If you specifically want a wrist worn unit, there is Fitbit, Fitbug, Jawbone, Garmin Vivofit, Polar Loop available locally.

Hope this helps!
  • accountingchickMEM
    accountingchickMEM Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    FYI: The fitbit flex is also water resistant. I swim laps a couple of times a week and it has not come off or had any problems while I wear it. I have also used it daily for over six months (as have a few of my friends) and we have not had any issues with the clasp or it falling off.
    I have a Jawbone Up, and it DID break on me at exactly 90 days of use. So they do break, which is an issue, but I contacted customer support and after some light troubleshooting, they mailed me a new one. So I had a 3 day break of not having the tracker, but it was replaced fairly hassle free. I previously had a fitbit, and I loved it. It was the recalled one that caused rashes (and DID cause a rash for me - yippee), so I sent it back and went with the Jawbone instead. Both of them are awesome and both of them sync with MFP, which is awesome. One difference between the two - the Jawbone is water resistant. I've worn it to the beach as well as in the shower with no issues. The Jawbone DOES track steps AND sleep, but does NOT track stairs. If you'd like to count the number of stairs you've taken in a given day, go with the Fitbit.
  • KaraH425
    KaraH425 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had the Fitbit Force which was recalled due to the skin rash issue. I did not send it back because I did not have a problem with it as other users have. However, the clasp on the Force was absolutely terrible! It easily became undone and fell off unnoticed. After receiving the Force as a gift I went on-line and read reviews about it and there were many mentions of the bad clasp, one woman even wrote that she was on her third Force and had taken to securing it with duct tape! Therefore, I tried to be sure that I kept the Force securely fastened, but it fell off many times, frequently in bed, but other times in an airplane, in my car, at work, in a rental car, at a gas station.... you get the picture. Finally, the Saturday before Father's day this year it disappeared for good. I did a lot of research when looking to replace it and I just got the Jawbone UP24! It is awesome! I have had it for about a week and it has NEVER fallen off! I have noticed that it is far less generous with the steps and calories than the Force, but I always assumed that the Force was too generous based on my experience. The apps are about the same, in my opinion. I did not get the Flex, which is about the same as the Jawbone UP24! because it has the same clasp and some reviews have mentioned that it falls off! My co-worker has a Jawbone UP and has been using it since Christmas and has not had a single problem with it and she totally loves it! I recommend the Jawbone unless you want to run the risk of having to replace the Flex when inadvertently comes undone! I hope this helps!

Out of curiosity, how much do you think the Force was overestimating your steps and calories? Asking b/c I love my Flex, but I think it overestimates too. I try to hit 120% of my goal every day to compensate, but that's just a number I pulled out of nowhere. Would love to hear how much lower your Jawbone is tracking them than your Force did.
  • momswanson
    Options
    "Out of curiosity, how much do you think the Force was overestimating your steps and calories? Asking b/c I love my Flex, but I think it overestimates too. I try to hit 120% of my goal every day to compensate, but that's just a number I pulled out of nowhere. Would love to hear how much lower your Jawbone is tracking them than your Force did."
    [/quote]

My daughter has a Flex and we took our dogs for a walk last night together. It was about two miles, and got just under 4000 steps, and she got just under 5000 steps! I am 5'8" and she is 5'6" so she may have taken more steps, but I don't think she took 1000 extra steps!
  • lizzy2b
    Options
    Hi Ryderod,

Hopefully in time most of the apps will adjust to our South African menu. But till then I don't mind making use of different applications. My biggest concern is having something i wont lose or forget to put on. I have a history of forgetting things.... I had a look at both manufactures warranty statement and even though everything looks in order i have my doubts when it coms to our country. Think replacements will take very long to happen should we have that option available. Unless the distributers like Dions wired has some sort of an arrangement with the manufacturer to simplify the process.

I work 7 days a week so i need something that has a good battery life, and wont lose easily.

One thing i do like is the idle alert on the jawbone.... Does the flex have it to?