What on earth is so great about quinoa

Options
13»

Replies

• phofilled
    phofilled Posts: 22
    Options
    I would really like to "love" this food, but, unfortunately I just cant enjoy it. I'm pretty sure it's the dry/grainy texture along with not soaking up flavor so much. I enjoy most food and it bothers me I don't like it. haha :p As far as nutrients... no doubt about the benefits.
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    You know what I hate about it?

That is used to be a staple food in Peru and Bolivia and now the middle-class Western obsession with it has driven the price right up and it is now not affordable in those countries for most of the working population there.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/quinoa-good-for-you--bad-for-bolivians-8675455.html

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jan/16/vegans-stomach-unpalatable-truth-quinoa

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/20/world/americas/20bolivia.html?_r=0

I read an article about that. I think it's very important to be aware of issues like this when we're talking about food. I'm glad you brought this up.
  • stephinpitts
    Options
    I would really like to "love" this food, but, unfortunately I just cant enjoy it. I'm pretty sure it's the dry/grainy texture along with not soaking up flavor so much. I enjoy most food and it bothers me I don't like it. haha :p As far as nutrients... no doubt about the benefits.

Yeah it needs help. One possible way to do that, if you're not a vegan, is to put strips of chicken in with it. I'll cut rotisserie chicken into strips and then cook it in with the quinoa. It's tasty IMO and it keeps the over all costs down, too.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I must admit I'm not a fan I dislike the texture it can give and there are many other things I'd rather eat than Quinoa. I'm always suspicious of anything thats a so called 'Superfood'. I have though found some interesting recipes and just ended up replacing the Quinoa with Couscous. For what is it it can be expensive as well and it's environmental (if you care about that) credentials are pretty suspect

I bought some quinoa and I have used it once I am not a fan
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It took me a long time before I wanted to try quinoa but I did and I liked it the way I fixed it. First of all it must be rinsed until all the
    little bubbles subside. I put a half a cup in a large skillet with a little coconut oil. Toast it a little, add 1 cup water, cover and cook for about 15 mins. In another skillet, sauté in a little coconut oil, 1 C frozen seasoning blend (celery, onion and pepper), 1 tsp chopped garlic and 1 C of coarsely chopped mushrooms. Season all of this with a little creole seasoning and some Nature's Seasoning. Add
    to the cooked guinoa, cover and let it sit for a few mins to blend flavors. This is the only way I cook it and use it instead of rice. I would not like it cold...
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I love it...I cook it in my rice cooker. One day I'll have it with eggs and syrup, the next I'll put some garlic and soy sauce in it. It's very versatile.