Calorie Counting Help

Hi everyone! So here's the deal- I started raw eating and within days have lost about 5 pounds. I started at 195 and need to drop about 60 total to feel normal and healthy again for my frame. So far I feel great and have noticed a difference in my mood and energy levels. What I'm concerned about is the calorie aspect of it. If I'm going slightly over my calorie limit because I ate one more avocado or had one more banana for example does it matter that much if I'm still dropping weight and cutting the crap processed food out of my life? I realize I could eat my favorite high calorie chicken sandwich and end up eating the same amount of calories in chicken as I would avocado… are calories calories or does it matter which calories you are eating? I'm new to all this healthy eating and could use some advice. I just want to make sure I'm still dropping the pounds while eating raw even if I go over the limit if I eat those high calorie fruits/veggies.

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Weight loss wise, a calorie is a calorie. Some foods are healthier than others but none should be demonized as being flat out bad. In general, it is our behavior toward foods that turn them into problems (e.g., if you can't eat just one potato chip without eating the entire bag you may end up considering potato chips bad.) That being said, you may find that some foods make you feel better/worse than others. But, bottom line, 100 extra calories from a banana is the same as 100 extra calories from Pepsi when it comes to weight loss.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Are you counting calories? Make sure to do something you can maintain long term.