exercise calories

Options
I use the exercise calories burned from this website but I always halve the number, say if i exercised for 1 hour on an exercise bike I would only enter 30 minutes as I know it waaaay over estimates the calories burned. Does anyone else do this?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Lots of people do this.

How is it working for you?
  • invisiblelo
    invisiblelo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yeah much better, I don't feel like I am cheating myself. My weight has stalled over the last 6 days, beginning to get frustrated now.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    The over exaggeration bothered me so much that I just got an HRM so I'd have a more accurate measurement of how many calories I burnt off during a work out. I'd really suggest looking into one! :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear- 6 days is a really short space of time. If it's working, keep at it!
  • invisiblelo
    Options
    Definitely going to get a HRM, good idea! I learn so much from this site and other people's experiences it really is a great support network. I'm keeping at it, my weight loss seems to happen in weird patterns like lose 5lb in 2 weeks, then nothing, then put on 2lb until I lose again hmm...as long as it comes off in the long run - I have changed so much to be successful.
  • 2311jackson
    Options
    since i run on the treadmill i found that the calories burned matched up with websites that had formulas. But I worry that by discounting the calories I burn I end up eating too much. I have tried to keep my calorie intake as regular as possible, even though I only run three days a week. I am guessing that is why I haven't lost anything in about 5 weeks. feel free to advise if I shouldn't worry about that; I love being able to have more latitude when I work out
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I don't bother measuring my exercise on MFP, I find the calorie burn estimations so off that I can't justify using the feature.

I've recently been experimenting with heart rate-based calorie burn calculations using the heart rate grips on the ellipticals I use at the gym. I just don't know how accurate the grips are - they don't seem to go above 200 bpm and they sometimes spike or drop suddenly.

I'm debating getting a heart rate monitor now, but I'm cheap, ha ha!

Stick it out! I've had my weight stay the same for a few weeks, then all of a sudden I drop a few pounds. It's an effect commonly referred to as a "woosh". I'll give you the url for an article on it: www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • invisiblelo
    Options
    Yes i've heard of the famous woosh! Just wish it happened more often lol. I've just looked at HRM and the cheaper ones don't show the pulse unless you put your finger against it. They then go up to £60 and I can't afford that. Anyone have any good HRM that they want to suggest using?
  • 2311jackson
    Options
    thanks for the link. i am not trying to lose a lot and generally it is portion size more than type of food that causes me trouble. Hanging in there is not too hard but nice to know results should be on the way!