Protein Powder/Shake - PLEASE help!

Options
Different things work for different people... That being said, in the mornings I want to sleep as much as I can. And when I wake up I'm not even that hungry. However, I don't want to leave my house on an empty stomach because that leads to bad food choices. Lately I've been having a "coffee-mocha-type-of-protein-shake." I've been using a chocolate protein powder but the taste isn't as good as I would like. I'm pretty picky so I wanted to know if any of you guys had any great tasting protein powders that you take? I do not like grainy tasting powders. Please and thank you!

Replies

• monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition has the best flavors, mixes and digests easily.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Perhaps going to bed at a reasonable hour and getting up in time to make a real breakfast?

That being said - I like Kaizen from New Zealand.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    My brand is Trutein by Body Nutrition. My favorites are vanilla, chocolate truffle, and the chocolate peanut butter cup. I've tried all their flavors, but the others were too sickly candy-sweet for me to stomach. But they weren't bad, and I know a lot of people go nuts for the Cinnabun flavor they have. I didn't care for it much, though. The best price to get it is usually bodybuilding.com.
  • akkimberly
    akkimberly Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I use Herbalife. I know that there is perhaps better options out there, but I'm all about taste & I love it! My favorites are their cookies & cream, pumpkin Spice & chocolate (I add PB2, it tastes like a reese's!).
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Somebody mentioned Trutein cinnabun which I found amazing. Tasted like a liquid cinnamon bun! Best thing is its not a proprietary blend so you know exactly what you're getting.

I also really like MusclePharm's Combat powder in chocolate...i think it tastes like a real chocolate bar.

My wife prefers BSN's Syntha 6 Chocolate.

Also, i've never had a bad flavor from Optimum Nutrition.

Straight casein though for night time i think bodybuilding.com's brand casein vanilla is very good.
  • sandral73
    sandral73 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My current favorite is Nuzest Clean Lean Protein http://www.nuzest.com/clean-lean-protein - I prefer a vegetable protein without a lot of added "stuff" or artificial sweetener. This one mixes really well (not chalky) and the flavors are great.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Perhaps going to bed at a reasonable hour and getting up in time to make a real breakfast?

That being said - I like Kaizen from New Zealand.

This!
    Why are you taking expensive protein shakes when you are trying to lose weight? Eat some real food
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people... That being said, in the mornings I want to sleep as much as I can. And when I wake up I'm not even that hungry. However, I don't want to leave my house on an empty stomach because that leads to bad food choices. Lately I've been having a "coffee-mocha-type-of-protein-shake." I've been using a chocolate protein powder but the taste isn't as good as I would like. I'm pretty picky so I wanted to know if any of you guys had any great tasting protein powders that you take? I do not like grainy tasting powders. Please and thank you!

Trutein is the best tasting powder. They have two mocha-type flavors too, since that seems to be your thing.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    why not pack a breakfast?
    that will help you avoid making "bad food choices".
  • eventerchick80
    eventerchick80 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    bump
  • trecia114
    trecia114 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lifetime Life's Basics Plant Protein Chocolate- It comes in other flavors and it's vegan too. It is not grainy or chalky and it tastes great. I am known to blend it with almond butter and a banana! So good!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002J0PD5Q/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • bethanimal4
    bethanimal4 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just started using designer whey french vanilla protein powder. I blend a scoop with a cup of frozen blueberries and a cup of unsweetened almond milk.. 20g of protein, 200 calories and way more tasty than the shakeology I've tried before
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I use Click Mocha protein powder. It has 2 shots of espresso per serving. I mix it in a blender with milk and it's not grainy (at least not compared to other brands I've tried). I also mix it will water when I need to move the calories down...it still tastes good. I don't recommending mixing it with a blender bottle.

Why do I keep on using it - I like the taste and it keeps me full!

I order from amazon...it's the least expensive I've found.
  • meanpooh
    meanpooh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition has the best flavors, mixes and digests easily.
    This......
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    When I wake, I'm never hungry for breakfast until about 9A-10:30A. I'm already at work during that time.
    Therefore I'll made a shake for breakfast so I can sip it and work productively. I use EAS Whey protein powder. either chocolate or Vanilla. If you use it in water I hate the taste. I use it with Almond milk- 30 calories, you can add in bananas, strawberries, PB, or even pumpkin (with vanilla- taste like a pumpkin shake!)... Then the powder sort of loses the taste and you receive the flavor.
  • KyraTX
    KyraTX Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I actually taste tested a whole bunch of different protein powders and did a review. One of my favorites is Jay Robb egg protein powder. Those with brown rice protein were too gritty. http://kyratx-afoodiegetsfit.blogspot.com/2014/04/protein-powder-review.html
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I really like Metabolic Reset chocolate or vanilla.
  • julesedem12
    julesedem12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I order the basic whey isolate from : my protien. The cookies and cream is great when you add strawberries and I've just tried the choc and nut which is fab just on its own. I do find them a little sweet so sometimes I just use one scoop and I add a banana or strawberries. Hope this helps.
  • fatboyliz
    fatboyliz Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I like phd protein in chocolate, and the mint herbalife. I can never face food in the morning, but smoothies and milkshakes I can...weird! Better than skipping breakie I guess.