high protein food, low carbs ,passing my calorie goal..

Options
Hi there ,
i was trying recently to have 1200 cal a day , macro goal p40 c30 f30 , i never met the protein goal so i started eating peanut butter or cottage cheese with brown toast bread nearly everyday & eggs every now & then , but that only makes my carbs & fat get higher & still no enough protein !! so is it healthy !? & what protein sources would u recommend. & i am not into shakes & supplements !
another thing is do i have to dec. carbs to 30% in order to lose weight !? usually i drink a lot of juice & eat lot of fruits ! since i've been trying to follow the macro goal i limited them & i am really not happy with that !!
Last thing , let's say i almost reach the target calorie intake on most days & a day or two i passed it up to 2000 - 2300 ! how it might affect my wt. loss ?! how can i make up for this next day !?
just to mention ,i am 71 kg, 167 cm , 27yr old, not active & can't be in the meanwhile [except for some walking !]
Thanks in advance ..

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    To increase protein, add flax seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds, canadian bacon, or an egg to your cottage cheese.
    (Peanut butter has a ton of sugar.)
    Good sources of protein -- lean beef, chicken, salmon, pain yogurt, beans, eggs, spinach, other greens

Start each day over again with a new calorie count.. Other wise you might feel like you are punishing yourself. When you are ready to be more active, you can increase exercise the next day -- for example.

If your fruits make you happy, then cut somewhere else to fit your goal.
    I would not stress too much about the macros as long as they are within reasonable range.
  • NOMORECARS
    NOMORECARS Posts: 156
    Options
    Hi there ,
    i am not into shakes & supplements !
    Thanks in advance ..
    What does this mean? You ask how to increase protein intake cleanly but subsequently refuse to consider the best way of doing it. Why did you even consider asking for advice if you have already decided to ignore it? A good protein supplement is the best way to increase protein intake without accompanying fats, carbohydrates and salt.
  • NOMORECARS
    Options
    Hi there ,
    i am 71 kg, 167 cm , 27yr old, not active & can't be in the meanwhile
    Again, you ask for advice while advertising that you will not follow it? Activity is essential for the human body.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Hi there ,
    Again, you ask for advice while advertising that you will not follow it? Activity is essential for the human body.

Good point! Why give advice to someone who has already said they'll ignore you?
  • Ran_gh
    Ran_gh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi there ,
    Thanks in advance ..
    What does this mean? You ask how to increase protein intake cleanly but subsequently refuse to consider the best way of doing it. Why did you even consider asking for advice if you have already decided to ignore it? A good protein supplement is the best way to increase protein intake without accompanying fats, carbohydrates and salt.

I am just explaining the circumstances , if i am not that active protein shakes won't make me any good ! besides i am not that convinced they're the healthy choice ,, if u know any better, i would appreciate your explanation ..
    I can't be more active, 4 the meanwhile, & that's not bcoz i am lazy ! i just have a busy life & stupid gym opening hours !
    so again , i am explaining the circumstances & trying to find a way around them !

& guys , if you find it stupid & you don't have much to say , fine , just pass by & don't reply!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    non-fat greek yogurt, egg beaters and non-fat cottage cheese are easy, lower calories and packed with protein.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Meat!
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I don't blame you for rejecting shakes.
    Egg white omelet fried without oil. such as microwave. or eggbeaters^tm. 0 fat. 25 calories. 5g protein per 45 gram serving.
    Hard boiled egg whites.
    Fat-Free dairy products. Things made into "fat free" are kind of freaky in my opinion, but they really do cut down the calories!
    Sadly, most vegan options are high in fat and calories, but Tempeh is not bad.
  • madbrainDotCom
    madbrainDotCom Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I am just explaining the circumstances , if i am not that active protein shakes won't make me any good !

If you think so, why did you set your protein target at 40% ?
    Fact is, protein is an appetite suppressant.
    I exercise very moderately but I'm losing plenty of weight with a lot of protein.
    And no, not 40% protein target, just 25% mind you, which is already plenty.
    I lost 15 lbs in 7 weeks so far, was 5'6 161, now 146.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Hi there ,

I thought that comment by the OP meant that they couldn't be active, not that they were choosing not to be active.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Hi there ,
    Thanks in advance ..

That's just your opinion!

I've ditched protein shakes and supplements, and my digestion is thanking me. I can say that I'm not into them either. I've used them for years, before I found a better way to do it, I actually think they are repulsive!

I've been bumping up my protein with beans and pulses alongside my 4x 25g portions. Protein is everywhere, bagels, pasta, fruit, veg. I loves me real food, and I have a very modest food budget at the moment. I spend a lot on Greek yoghurt.

OP is asking advice, and she has personal preferences. She isn't exercising. So what. She can still create a deficit. In fact, I think it's better to lose fat without intense exercise. I disagree with deficits and sports training.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Hi there ,

If you aren't experienced enough to help, then move along rather than having a go at the OP.

Activity is NOT essential for weight loss. It's a crying shame to not do it, but deficits can be created in a sedentary lifestyle. That's the beauty of the software, you have a very good chance of creating a small and consistent deficit, and as long as you have the patience, the fat will eventually go.

I recommend putting the stats in the scooby calculator as sedentary, a 15% calorie deficit, 100+g of protein, 55+g fat, the rest carbs! and just move around. A lot. No vegging. Stairs, walking, cleaning, playing, dancing, standing up, no tv, just move move move!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you don't have to go to the gym to be more active. You can work out at home - exercise videos, bodyweight programmes (e.g. you are your own gym, convict conditioning) - you can walk part way to work, e.g. park your car or get off the bus further away so you walk- you can take the stairs instead of the lift, etc. These things add up. You don't need to workout for long periods of time - you can fit a 10 minute workout in...

I know it's difficult with a busy schedule, but this is about your health, so it needs to have a higher priority.

protein powder is no different to the protein in your food. Dieting while sedentary and not getting sufficient protein is the biggest risk for losing lean mass. Do some exercise and eat enough protein to preserve your lean mass. If you need protein powders to hit your protein goal then have them.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Hi there ,

If you aren't experienced enough to help, then move along rather than having a go at the OP.

Activity is NOT essential for weight loss. It's a crying shame to not do it, but deficits can be created in a sedentary lifestyle. That's the beauty of the software, you have a very good chance of creating a small and consistent deficit, and as long as you have the patience, the fat will eventually go.

I recommend putting the stats in the scooby calculator as sedentary, a 15% calorie deficit, 100+g of protein, 55+g fat, the rest carbs! and just move around. A lot. No vegging. Stairs, walking, cleaning, playing, dancing, standing up, no tv, just move move move!

it is essential for optimal health though... the person you quoted didn't say it was essential for weight loss.
  • georgiagreeneyes
    georgiagreeneyes Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious but how did you determine your macro target goal? If you're not currently active then your body really doesn't need that much protein--- it's more likely to be converted to fat especially on the days that you eat above your total daily energy expenditure.

If you feel like you are depriving yourself, perhaps it'd be worth lowering your protein intake to allow for some of those other foods you mentioned. For someone that is sedentary most of the day, you really don't need protein to account for 40% of your total calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious but how did you determine your macro target goal? If you're not currently active then your body really doesn't need that much protein--- it's more likely to be converted to fat especially on the days that you eat above your total daily energy expenditure.

If you feel like you are depriving yourself, perhaps it'd be worth lowering your protein intake to allow for some of those other foods you mentioned. For someone that is sedentary most of the day, you really don't need protein to account for 40% of your total calories.

Eating in a deficit - it's not going to be converted to fat.

Besides - if truly unneeded it gets converted to glucose first.

And since everyone in a diet has slightly depleted muscle glycogen stores - there's a place for it.

Besides, higher protein with big deficit (I'm guessing big) can actually help retain muscle mass all on it's own.

It does no harm - except the good points you mentioned regarding getting stressed not meeting a personally set goal, and missing out on other macro's perhaps really desired.

OP - you really only need enough grams to get 0.82 x bodyweight in lbs. Change the % to accomplish that many grams, that'll be enough.

And ya, PB with it's high fat content (someone said sugar up above, huh?) takes away chance to eat something else.
    Perhaps your weight loss goal isn't reasonable either, and you could/should be eating more.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Here are some of the foods I eat, I am also aiming for a high protein diet, I reduced fruit a lot due to high sugar, and replaced with veggies, which surprisingly do have some protein content and if you eat plenty will help you reach your goal. I don't eat meat but if I did I would be adding
    100g chicken (not coated of fried) 182 calories 23g protein 10g fat.

200g Chobani, no fat Greek yogurt, or similar, 120 calories, 20g protein no fat 8g sugar
    100g tuna chunks in spring water, 115 calories 26g protein, negligible fat no sugar
    200g fat free cottage cheese 176 calories 23g protein 5g fat 8g sugar, watch the sodium though.
    142g basa fish filet 130 calories, 21g protein, 5g fat, no sugar
    300mls light milk, 138 calories, 10g protein, 4g fat 15g sugar. I make milky coffee between meals, keeps me fuller.
    150g birds eye green veg mix, 62 cal, 5g protein, no fat 3g sugar
    126g pure egg, simply egg whites 62 cal, 14g protein, no fat/sugar
    1 egg, 70 calories, 6g protein, 6g fat no sugar
    100g salmon, 206 calories, 22g protein 12g fat.
    25g protein powder, I know you don't want to hear it, but now and then, especially if I am out in the evening, I will have a shake in the day,93 calories, 18g protein, 2g fat 3g sugar. Often I add the powder to something like yogurt, as I really do prefer to eat my calories :-)

I am actually going to go back to tuna in oil and full fat milk as I am not getting enough fat in my diet, and I will drop some of my carby treats to make up for it.

As for exercise, just try to make time, walk a bit more, take the stairs more, find a few simple exercises you can do at home, even just 10 minutes of cardio at home to get your heart pumping is going to help. I found a few exercises on u tube, I was doing 20 minutes 3 times a week. It used to make me feel quite energetic and in a good mood for the day. Now I make time to go to the gym 3-4 times a week. Because I love the feeling I get from exercise I gave up my other hobby (computer gaming) but that's just me.

Good luck with your diet. I hope you work things out :-)
  • NOMORECARS
    Options
    Hi there ,
    Thanks in advance ..

if i am not that active protein shakes won't make me any good ! besides i am not that convinced they're the healthy choice ,, if u know any better, i would appreciate your explanation ..
    I can't be more active, 4 the meanwhile, & that's not bcoz i am lazy ! i just have a busy life & stupid gym opening hours !
    so again , i am explaining the circumstances & trying to find a way around them !
    Use a good quality protein supplement in the form of powder which can be added to a variety of foods and drinks to add protein to your diet. Did you know why a higher protein diet is good for weight loss? When you eat protein calories, 1/4 of those calories are used up just by your body metabolizing the protein. You don't need a gym to be active. Watch television while walking on the spot instead of sitting; 3 average movies will give you a marathon if you walk quickly. But the best way of all to prevent inactivity is to get rid of your car.
  • NOMORECARS
    Options
    Hi there ,

Activity is NOT essential for weight loss.

I have enough experience to recognize that the OP's problems will not be solved by weight loss. A healthy lifestyle is needed. If you had a little more experience you would realize your advice will make the OP into a skinny but overfat vegetable. Depriving the body of food to lose weight is an idiotic thing to do when it leads to all sorts of health problems. The quality of food is more important than the amount. Some people rant about caloric deficits as if they are some sort of holy grail. But in reality, most obese people do not eat enough good food to nourish their bodies. Their bodies are always hungry because garbage contains no nutrients. So my advice to the OP is: IGNORE YOUR WEIGHT, BE ACTIVE, ONLY EAT HEALTHY FOOD WHICH NOURISHES YOUR BODY.
  • cajunbandmom
    cajunbandmom Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    But the best way of all to prevent inactivity is to get rid of your car.
    [/quote]

ha... sorry have to giggle. I live 17 miles one way from my job. If I got rid of my car I would be skin and bones and stink like heck when I got to work. Sorry totally off topic but I thought it was funny. I am pretty active and I still own 4 cars. I run/walk 3 to 4 times a week and take 2 TRX classes.