Belly flab...how to get rid of it

Options
Ok my weight is stable at 140...people say "you're too skinny" I eat good sometimes some junk but pretty low carb but if those same peope saw me with no shirt I had a small gut with some flab....I am 54 yrs old ( male ) I eat pretty much the same thing every day...Small and I mean small amt of plain oatmeal with about 6 blueberries every morning before my run....then i run 5-1/2 miles pretty much every day and on the days when i dont run I bike 25-30 miles at a 19mph pace....

Then nothing until lunch big red leaf lettuce ( romaine ) salad with cucks,mushrooms,onions,tomatoes, 1 tbl spoon of olive oil and lots of apple cider vinagar, a few croutons, VERY SMALL like tablespoon or less of low moisture part skim cheese and either salmon,chicken,turkey,shrimp for the protein...3-4 ounces max...

I then have a handfull of nuts, either pastishos or cashews...

Then supper...veggies and fish,turkey,chicken etc again 3-4 ounce then 1 glass of red wine with some pretzles ( no salt ) and bed at 10pm

Again my weight is stable but it seems like the flab should be gone...im not trying to be a model or anything :)

Replies

• tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You will not lose fat unless you're in a deficit or lifting (happens very gradually at maintenance, if at all).

I don't know how tall you are, but 140 lbs is fairly small for a male.

Also counting your calories and macros will help.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    What is it made of? Do you feel your abs underneath a layer of fat, or is it just loose skin, or is it hard but round? Hard belly fat would likely be intra-abdominal aka visceral fat - that can kill you)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    eat more! fruits & veggies at least & some grains-rice & shiot!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Incorporate full-body strength training, especially moves that engage your core, like deadlifts and squats.

Cutting out grains made a huge difference for me also.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit, get enough protein, and do some type of strength training to minimize muscles loss while losing weight.
  • cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Im about 5'8" tall
  • cvcman
    Options
    um hard to tell...just looks like some flab
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Im about 5'8" tall
    Calorie deficit. If not, then it stays.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cvcman
    Options
    I am ALWAYS in deficit...doesnt matter....with my exercise it always says im in deficit
  • cvcman
    Options
    Today it said over 900 calories in deficit...that is screwed up....
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Too large of a deficit makes you burn more muscle than you would with a small deficit.

Personally, I'd eat at maintenance or a hair below, and lift heavy weights.

Alternately, suck it in and stand up straight. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1084899-huge-progress-in-five-minutes
  • cvcman
    Options
    Weights and resistance are not making any difference
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    How many weeks/months have you been lifting and in a deficit etc?
  • cvcman
    Options
    In deficit over 2 yrs almost everyday. Lifting and resistance a few months 3 days a week after cardio
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    taking a look at your diary you are either in too big of a deficit or under estimating calories.

Per your diary you are typically under 2k and you don't log everyday.

I suspect you are under estimating your intake if you still have "flab"

I mean july 2nd you logged under 1k calories for a man? wow...
    You eat half the protien I do
    and consistently miss days or have partial days...

and from what I can tell when you do log you don't weigh your food....start logging accurately and consistently to find your actual intake and then see what your diary tells you.

As well don't lift after cardio...do it before.
  • cvcman
    Options
    My logging is pretty much spot on....my exercise IS spot on...
  • cvcman
    Options
    Also IF I was too big a deficit I SHOULD be loosing the flab....too big a deficit means greater weight loss....
  • ravenmiss
    Options
    If your protein is as low as the above mentions then you'll be losing muscle as well as fat so that may factor in with things. You want to be eating 1g of protein for every 1lb of LBM at least to retain what muscle you have.
  • ravenmiss
    Options
    My logging is pretty much spot on....my exercise IS spot on...

What logging? I looked back 1 month, you have 15 blank days....

*I give up*