Insanity + weightloss

Options
Hey! So I'm about to start my fourth week of Insanity and haven't lost a single pound. I find this rather odd, considering I have about 50 to lose! I'm eating pretty healthy, and drinking tons of water... how long is it supposed to take?

Also, yes, I realize the inches will come off, don't pay attention to the scale, etc... but the difference on the measuring tape is minimal too. I'm talking half inches minimal.

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    If I had to guess, you're logging isn't right. Just looking back a week at your diary, you only get to 1200 calories once with many days under 1,000 (one as low as 750). If this were true, you'd be losing inches....weight, etc. exercise or not.

Granted, 4 weeks isn't a long time and your body can retain water for muscle repair due to the exercise, but with an intake that low you should be seeing a change of some sort.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 7. I also havn't lost much weight in this process but I have lost a couple inches. I googled it actually because I was concerned. I found that many women don't lose much while doing insanity. I like the workout and I am going to complete the program.
    I would take the previous poster's advice and make sure you are measuring everything...perhaps you are taking in more cals that you think.
  • Bellabooksa
    Bellabooksa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just started week 3 of Insanity and have lost 6 lbs. and a few inches. I too wonder if maybe you're not consuming enough to fuel your calorie burn. I know it's hard to get to that amount of daily calorie goal. I was filling up on junk and always seemed hungry and bloated .. all the time. Now logging every thing in and trying to eat clean it's no wonder I felt yucky and gained sooooo much weight. I have about 50 lbs to lose to get back to my weight of 2 yrs ago 145-150 is where my goal is. I read that most see real results in month 2 so you're almost there!! :) Keep up the good work and try to stay focused. This site is great for motivation! I'll send you a friend request if you don't mind! :)
  • Stacjsteinert5
    Stacjsteinert5 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Stick with it, you WILL see changes! And yes make sure you eat enough clean food for these workouts! I eat close to 2,000 calories a day. Given I am not busy and forget to eat my snacks. lol I am in the beginning of month 2 and have lost 13 pounds and 10 total inches. I can see abs, which is awesome, and my legs are becoming very muscular along with my arms. Good luck, eat clean, and keep with it!
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I'm logging correctly. I can't eat any more than I am, I'm usually pretty full all day! I'm logging the same way as I was when doing the 30-day Shred, and I lost almost 20 pounds doing two rounds of that! Sigh... I'm going to keep at it because I like it, but I find it odd.
  • mg1123
    mg1123 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose any weight with Insanity. I love Shaun T, but I spent the entire time with a perpetually sore left knee and right shoulder. My diet may not have been perfect, but I had lost weight with TurboFire before doing Insanity. To me, Insanity is more about building up strength and endurance than it is about weight loss (MY opion).

I have been doing a TurboFire/Brazil Butt Lift hybrid, but when it wrapped, just doing TurboFire while I think about it. I would really like to do PiYo, but need to wait on purchasing it. Meanwhile, I think I'll give Focus T25 another go now that I am more aware of my food challenges (discovered that I can't eat dairy, peanuts, things like that)
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    If I had to guess, you're logging isn't right. Just looking back a week at your diary, you only get to 1200 calories once with many days under 1,000 (one as low as 750). If this were true, you'd be losing inches....weight, etc. exercise or not.

i haven't looked myself, but with cals that low, it seems shes not eating ENOUGH!! 1200 is dead bottom and shoulnd't be followed. add exercise in there, and def need much more!
  • pj4437
    pj4437 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If insanity builds strength and muscle weighs more than fat then I would say you are on track. You may have also hit the dreaded plateau which is usually when I have always given up. When I was a member of Weight Watchers they said if you hit the plateau go back through your meal journal and eat exactly the way you did the week where you lost the most weight. Just a thought. I am far from an expert or I would not be on here haha. Good luck to you on your goals!
  • amgerbin
    amgerbin Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I am on week 4 and I haven't lost any weight either. My weight has gone up 1 lb in fact. I was so frustrated so I found an old email from a trainer, where he had recorded all of my measurements. Lo and behold, I lost 4 inches from my hips and 2 inches from my thighs. So I made the decision to not be so worried about the darn scale and pay attention to how my clothes are fitting right now. I only had about 10 lbs to lose so I knew it wouldn't be drastic.

Hang in there and make sure you are eating clean, getting your fruits and veggies and good carbs.
  • amgerbin
    amgerbin Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    A question - are you following the food plan in the Insanity book? I'm not as I know what I can and can't eat, but I wonder if following that more closely will help??
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Not surprised you are not losing weight - your diet is appalling. Your calories are far too low - some days you are having less than 850 calories, in addition to doing an intensive exercise program. Your body will be clinging on to its fat for dear life and burning muscle for fuel which in turn will lower your metabolism. On the days you are having c.850 calories and burning c.500 calories in exercise, your net for the day are only 350 calories which is well below anyone's basal metabolic rate. Simply if you carry on like this you will make yourself seriously ill - no joke.

Even though your calories are low, around 40% of your calories are coming from carbs each day, therefore hindering fat loss even more.

You need to read up on proper nutrition, ditch the shakes (not needed unless you are bulking - eat real food), eat more lean protein and healthy fats, work out your TDEE and eat at 500 calories below that, bin insanity and lift heavy weights instead.

You must be starving - simply have a well balanced meal plan such as for example:

breakfast - porridge oats and blueberries (use stevia if you need to sweeten it)
    lunch - chicken / fish salad
    dinner -meat and 2 veg (with roast sweet potatoes if you really must have some carb)
    snacks - handful of almonds / berries / greek yoghurt / almond butter on crispbread / cubed reduced fat cheddar cheese / prawns / hard boiled egg
  • tcamp02
    tcamp02 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked at your diary, but just based on the previous posters information if you are doing Insanity and only eating 1200 or less calories then you are eating too little and that will stall your weight loss. In the nutrition guide that comes with Insanity, there is a chart that determines your caloric needs and you should go by that in order to lose weight. You will need more calories during Insanity than doing a lower intensity workout.
  • CherylG1983
    Options
    On the days you are having c.850 calories and burning c.500 calories in exercise, your net for the day are only 350 calories which is well below anyone's basal metabolic rate. Simply if you carry on like this you will make yourself seriously ill - no joke.

You must have read the day when I forgot what I had for supper and didn't log it!
  • CherylG1983
    Options
    I haven't looked at your diary, but just based on the previous posters information if you are doing Insanity and only eating 1200 or less calories then you are eating too little and that will stall your weight loss. In the nutrition guide that comes with Insanity, there is a chart that determines your caloric needs and you should go by that in order to lose weight. You will need more calories during Insanity than doing a lower intensity workout.

No, I'm eating more than that, it just shows up like that because it subtracts the exdercise. I try to eat around 1600 a day.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    On the days you are having c.850 calories and burning c.500 calories in exercise, your net for the day are only 350 calories which is well below anyone's basal metabolic rate. Simply if you carry on like this you will make yourself seriously ill - no joke.

You must have read the day when I forgot what I had for supper and didn't log it!

You have quite a few days at around 850 calories. Quite often your calories are around 1000 which is still way too low.

If you don't log food properly you are only deceiving yourself
  • sandy_taylor13
    sandy_taylor13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Insanity now for 3 months. I did while on the medifast program (I waited for 2 weeks on medifast before I started up). Granted I was only taking in between 900-1000 calories while I was on the program and I was able to lose over 30 pounds in the first 2 months. I also incorporated running on the days that were the core cardio and balance. But in the past when I've done insanity, and just monitored what I ate, I still lost 10 pounds in the 8 weeks. But I always added a bit more cardio.
  • tcamp02
    tcamp02 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    1600 sounds about right with doing Insanity. Sometimes it takes awhile after you start an exercise program for the weight loss to start so I would just stick with it and just be sure your nutrition is on track. Be sure you're getting enough protein, getting carbs from whole grains fruits and vegetables and not white sources and fat from healthy fats like avocado and olive oil.
  • supersparklies
    supersparklies Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm on my 3rd week of Insanity. So far, I've lost 3.2 pounds. I am 5'6". I started at 147.8. My last weight was 144.6. Basically, I lost 2 pounds the first week, and 1 the 2nd week.

When I decided to do Insanity, I made the decision to follow the whole plan, nutrition and all. Some pie snuck in there on July 4th, and I had a trip to the movies (popcorn, m&ms) last week, plus a brownie yesterday. Other than that, I am eating from the nutrition guide at close to the calories prescribed which was 1840 per the program. I don't do much outside of the Insanity workout. I'm a stay at home mom and do cleaning and errands.

I have a Bodymedia Fit armband that counts my steps, activity and calories burned every day. I ran a report and my results are as follows:

Week 1: Burned an average of 2406 calories per day
    consumed 1723 cals (683 deficit) per day
    Averaged 7852 steps per day
    and slept 7:28 hours per day
    approx 30/45/25 protein/carb/fat ratio (per nutrition guide, target is 40/40/20)

Week 2: Burned an average of 2603 calories per day
    consumed 1691 (912 deficit)
    Averaged 9486 steps per day
    and slept 8:03 per day
    approx 25/45/30 protein/carb/fat ratio - I'm attempting to get more protein this week.

As you can see, I ate more and exercised a little less the first week and lost more. Not that 2 pounds is much different than 1. However, I am eating about 1700-1800 a day and still losing weight.

This is the first time the scale has moved for me in ages, despite eating 1200-1500 calories. So, I think there may be something about eating a little more and having less of a deficit. At least, for me there is.

Hope this helps a little!
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Im on Month 2, with 2 weeks left. Lost 3 pounds in total but alot of inches. Month 2 is kicking my *kitten* and the scale isnt really moving much so I can kinda understand. My guess is the diet, idk. But I am losing inches and my stomach is so toned and my endurance is better. I wish you the best of luck and keep pushing harder.

I do agree with the above poster, Ive read on a couple of forums that some people have to adjust and eat back some calories and they lost weight.....

My question is, do you use the alotted calories to make up your own meal plan or you use the nutrition guide meal plan?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do you have a food scale?