My thighs rub and it hurts

Options
HI, so let me start off with how I have always been a petite girl, but recently put on some weight at the end of college. Now I have graduated and have time to put some serious effort into my fitness. I started the Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 DVD - I am on week one, and have done my third workout for this week - I plan to do 5 workouts per week. I am very eager and determined to make it to the end of the program. My main goal is to trim my thighs - they are not that big, but big enough where they rub when I wear shorts or a dress and it is irritating to my skin (and they never use to rub, so I definitely think it is possible to get back to where I was). I want to lose the small amount of extra fat as soon as possible just so it does not hurt to wear a dress anymore. I am assuming I need to do some cardio and strength - which is what I am doing in the Jillian Michaels DVD, along with attempting to eat healthier. I still eat some sweets but am cutting down. Just looking for any suggestions from people who have similar stories - what did you do? how long did it take to see results? & how do you tame the sweet tooth? I just need some encouragement - I know I don't have far to go but I just can't imagine seeing results soon. I sound like a cry baby over my thighs and I know people have it worse, it just really hurts and I want it to go away. Little red bumps and rashy looking skin is not good beach attire.

Replies

• Rozzy77
    Rozzy77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi sweetie - I know how you feel. Congratulations on working out with Gillian DVD. I'm a gym girl instead of actively watching a DVD. I get the same chaffing when I wear dresses, skirts and shorts, so I now wear cargo pants, skorts and capris. I trying different things like drink more water (my average is 4) a day, so I'm aiming for at least 6 and then work my way up to 8. I go to the gym on my lunch hour and do at least 30 minutes of cardio once a week (mid-week) on the elliptical or lateral trainer for shaping my legs and thighs. The other days of the week, I'm weight training to achieve muscle so it can burn fat. I also have a gym trainer that works my whole body for even toning. But it's my eating habits that suck. I get salt and sweet cravings throughout the day and I just don't know what to eat and what not to eat. That's why I have decided to come back to MTP and hopefully get encouragement and direction again. :)
  • MyHealthiestYears23
    Options
    Hi rozzy, I feel like I understand what to eat, I just choose not to eat the best things at times lol. I studied health in college and plan to get a masters of public health at some point down the road. I love the new MyPlate vs the old MyPyramid because it shows what proportions should be on your plate for a balanced diet. I am just cutting out the carbohydrate potions to a smaller amount and mainly focusing on the protein and veggies. Fruit and dairy I kinda exclude or keep to a minimum at breakfast - I am also lactose intolerant so I drink almond milk instead. So I don't think its my diet holding me back, it just that I hate working out. I will admit that day 3 work out of the Jillian Michaels is a ton easier than it was day 1, So I assume I will just adapt. As for drinking enough water, I suggest getting the "camel bak eddy" water bottle. The measurements on the bottle help me keep track of how much water I am drinking through out the day.
  • Kazzam33
    Kazzam33 Posts: 210
    Options
    Story of my life. :grumble:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Bodyglide
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Bodyglide

This or even arm deodorant...works like a charm.
  • dodson169
    dodson169 Posts: 20
    Options
    While you are working on losing some in your thighs, you can use some anti-chafing gel to keep your thighs from hurting when they rub. Monistat makes an anti-chafing gel that works well. It just gives a little barrier to the skin rubbing on skin and prevents the pain.
  • MyHealthiestYears23
    Options
    I use a friction stick, i think gold bond makes it. It worked good for a short time but its greasy and my skin absorbs it like lotions. Someone messaged me and suggested baby power so I think I will try that
  • maj1958
    maj1958 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Body glide should do the trick until you get where you need to be. It goes on kind of like a deodorant stick It also is great to use if your sandals rub your feet or If you run and and you get chafing from bra or tank. They sell it at sports stores
  • detarrevo
    detarrevo Posts: 45
    Options
    I understand very well fat and friction are not friends.
    But you could try zinc oxide ointment. Works well for me.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Bodyglide

Did not know that.

I wear those short spandex under my dresses and skirts, helps a lot.

I tried 30 Day Shred and it started to work for me, but I had a sudden death in the family, and had to put exercise on the back burner. Will be starting again tomorrow.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Bodyglide.
  • dan_hansen
    dan_hansen Posts: 10
    Options
    I think the idea of spandex shorts underneath your workout wear (shorts, skirt, pants) is the way to go. I started taking my dog on really long walks and got this and I wear briefs (I'm a guy obviously) that are tight around my legs and go down a little. It helps but lower down I still get a little chaffing.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Bodyglide works wonders. I don't usually have any and have resorted to wearing cotton bike shorts/workout shorts as underwear so there is a layer there so my skin does not rub together. Not fun in hot weather mind you, but I've lost 45 lbs and rarely have that problem any more. You can't spot reduce, just overall fat loss is what will help. I've really slimmed down my thighs and I'm doing all over strength training and cardio.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I wear Jockey Skimmies Slipshorts underneath dresses. They are thin enough to be comfortable and they are durable. I can't even tell I'm wearing them most of the time.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    http://www.skirtsports.com/shop/product.cfm/id/4305-Shorties#.U73jSbGmY3g

I wear these athletic compression shorts under things. They wick so they don't get hot.
  • kstiffler10
    kstiffler10 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have bought man boxer briefs to wear under dresses it helps a lot, but I want to try bodyglide now.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Solution: keep your legs open. Good luck OP! :flowerforyou:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Bodyglide

Did not know that.

I didn't until I googled, read up on it, then tried it the next day. Now I do it almost every day because I started wearing dresses every day to work.

Also had a friend send me this link. I haven't tried them http://www.bandelettes.com/
  • Nikkisfitblog
    Nikkisfitblog Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Spandex and lycra is your new worbdrobe. Congratulations on growing muscle.
  • jellybeansmamma
    jellybeansmamma Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I use my sons nappy rash cream. (zinc) Stops the chafing, and heals chafing that is already there really quickly.