Fitbit calories burned

Options
I bought a fitbit watch and used it at the gym today. I was shocked to see that 45 minutes of TRX burned 600 calories. Honestly, I thought it would be less. How accurate do you think fitbit it?

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It's pretty good at estimating calories burned for steps-based exercise like walking, running, housework, dancing, aerobics, etc. TRX is more of a resistance thing, right? It has no way of detecting resistance and will assume your wrist movement is from walking or running. I think you must be moving your wrist without moving your lower body for that high a burn, but I have no idea how large you are and that matters, or what you do in TRX class. Over 10 calories a minute is too high for most people unless they're obese.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    600 calories in 45 minutes would probably be reasonable if you were a large, experienced athlete capable of working at near maximal effort without pausing.
  • Drdmike
    Drdmike Posts: 66
    Options
    it's my understand they use your heartrate to determine calories burned.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    fitbit doesnt ahve heart rate, just steps.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Your Fitbit burn is your TDEE—way more accurate than any online calculator. I connected my accounts, ate back my Fitbit calorie adjustments, and lost weight.

MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users

Edited to add that Fitbit Flex is neither a watch nor a heart rate monitor. It's an activity tracker. You wear it 24/7, and it tracks your TDEE & sleep.