SOMEONE PLEASE HELP

Options
2»

Replies

• MyiahRose
    MyiahRose Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Your calories are way too low...its counterintuitive but you need to eat considerably more if you're working out like that.

I dont know how much though since i dont have a HRM or anything like that. I cannot afford even the cheap ones at the moment
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Spend the $100 and get a RMR Test, Its where you lay down or sit while breathing into a tube for about an hour. It is the MOST (Not EXACT) accurate way to see how many calories your body is burning each day. Some people have INCREDIBLY LOW Calorie burn per day.
  • MyiahRose
    Options
    If you are losing inches than you aren't stuck. Weight loss isn't linear and there are times you won't lose the scale # but drop inches/sizes and then drop the scale # and possibly not drop inches for a bit.

Keep doing what you are doing because in the larger scheme of things, do you want the scale # or do you want to be able to fit into smaller clothes?

QFT.

It's hard not to focus on the scale #. I mean from birth we're practically taught that that # is the only way we're making progress in the weight loss battle. If you are losing inches you are making progress. Maybe put the scale away for awhile. My weight has been up and down the same 2-3 lbs since I started lifting 9 weeks ago, but all of my inches are down and clothes are fitting better. I took some progress photos and while it's hard for me to see a big difference, I do see little differences here and there. I've heard that especially since I'm new to lifting my body is holding onto water for muscle repair.

I agree my clothes are fitting a little better but i still want to make sure i am doing everything else right. I also dont want to eat too little for the activity i am doing.
  • MyiahRose
    Options
    Spend the $100 and get a RMR Test, Its where you lay down or sit while breathing into a tube for about an hour. It is the MOST (Not EXACT) accurate way to see how many calories your body is burning each day. Some people have INCREDIBLY LOW Calorie burn per day.

I do not have that type of money at the moment.But I do want to get that done. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Your calories are way too low...its counterintuitive but you need to eat considerably more if you're working out like that.

I dont know how much though since i dont have a HRM or anything like that. I cannot afford even the cheap ones at the moment

I agree with psulemon, you should switch to this site and track your calories and excercise
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    If you are losing inches than you aren't stuck. Weight loss isn't linear and there are times you won't lose the scale # but drop inches/sizes and then drop the scale # and possibly not drop inches for a bit.

Keep doing what you are doing because in the larger scheme of things, do you want the scale # or do you want to be able to fit into smaller clothes?

QFT.

It's hard not to focus on the scale #. I mean from birth we're practically taught that that # is the only way we're making progress in the weight loss battle. If you are losing inches you are making progress. Maybe put the scale away for awhile. My weight has been up and down the same 2-3 lbs since I started lifting 9 weeks ago, but all of my inches are down and clothes are fitting better. I took some progress photos and while it's hard for me to see a big difference, I do see little differences here and there. I've heard that especially since I'm new to lifting my body is holding onto water for muscle repair.

I agree my clothes are fitting a little better but i still want to make sure i am doing everything else right. I also dont want to eat too little for the activity i am doing.

You could try adding 100-200 calories a week - 1700-1800 for 4-6 weeks see what happens?

Do you have a fitbit?

Mine helps me determine my actual TDEE and will tell me how much I should eat a day. I'm 5'5" lift 3x a week and just started adding kickboxing. Today it tells me I can eat 1757. I recently had to take an actual break for a week and the last month it was about 2000 a day.

The closer to goal the smaller the deficit.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I have been logging every single day for a year ... i lost 50 pounds so far but only 20 in the past 7 months. I been the doctor in February everything was fine.
    you lost 50 lbs in one year? That's awesome progress!! Congratulations!!

So just to save your sanity, let's look at your math. If you've been doing the same kind of run for a long time, you might find that your body is fairly efficient at it. The body adapts well to workouts if you don't alter them. And weightlifting doesn't burn all that much. Some, but not really a lot. And again, your body gets accustomed to the workout and adapts to be more efficient to deliver energy when and where you actually need it.

You may not have noticed, but perhaps outside of your workouts your lifestyle has slowly become a bit more sedentary. I know this happens to me when I work out (I say "I don't feel like biking to work today, I worked out last night, I can just drive today.")

So anyways, (and a lot of these numbers I'm using are just wild guesses, since everything's an estimate) let's say you're eating 1600 every day. At first, when you were heavier, your TDEE was something like 2600. But now that you've lost weight, and you're more efficient at your workouts, maybe your TDEE is closer to 2000 now, even with the exercise. So at first, you were losing 2 lbs per week, but now you're losing closer to .75 lbs per week.

Does that make sense?

But the important thing is that you're still losing! If I was you, I wouldn't change a thing for at least another month. See how many inches you lose, see if you still are slowing down. You've found something that works for your body. I really hate to advise you change things right now. Though, changing your exercise routine might distract you for the next month and give you something new to focus on.
  • MyiahRose
    Options
    I have been logging every single day for a year ... i lost 50 pounds so far but only 20 in the past 7 months. I been the doctor in February everything was fine.

So just to save your sanity, let's look at your math. If you've been doing the same kind of run for a long time, you might find that your body is fairly efficient at it. The body adapts well to workouts if you don't alter them. And weightlifting doesn't burn all that much. Some, but not really a lot. And again, your body gets accustomed to the workout and adapts to be more efficient to deliver energy when and where you actually need it.

You may not have noticed, but perhaps outside of your workouts your lifestyle has slowly become a bit more sedentary. I know this happens to me when I work out (I say "I don't feel like biking to work today, I worked out last night, I can just drive today.")

So anyways, (and a lot of these numbers I'm using are just wild guesses, since everything's an estimate) let's say you're eating 1600 every day. At first, when you were heavier, your TDEE was something like 2600. But now that you've lost weight, and you're more efficient at your workouts, maybe your TDEE is closer to 2000 now, even with the exercise. So at first, you were losing 2 lbs per week, but now you're losing closer to .75 lbs per week.

Does that make sense?

But the important thing is that you're still losing! If I was you, I wouldn't change a thing for at least another month. See how many inches you lose, see if you still are slowing down. You've found something that works for your body. I really hate to advise you change things right now. Though, changing your exercise routine might distract you for the next month and give you something new to focus on.

I just started running about a month ago. Should i up my distance to burn more calories?
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Time for a diet break. Nothing crazy like the Chinese buffet, just try to up calories to around maintenance.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

Then re-attack, Be anal retentive about calories and weigh everything. Make sure the foods you are ogging are indeed correct. I have seem some pretty atrocious errors in user submitted foods on here.

This is a personal decision but I would also reduce running and incorporate weightlifting and walking if you like. But listen to your body.
  • MyiahRose
    Options

QFT.

You could try adding 100-200 calories a week - 1700-1800 for 4-6 weeks see what happens?

Do you have a fitbit?

Mine helps me determine my actual TDEE and will tell me how much I should eat a day. I'm 5'5" lift 3x a week and just started adding kickboxing. Today it tells me I can eat 1757. I recently had to take an actual break for a week and the last month it was about 2000 a day.

The closer to goal the smaller the deficit.

I still have about 35 more pounds to lose. But i will try to add more calories. Hopefully i wont gain.
  • MyiahRose
    Options
    Time for a diet break. Nothing crazy like the Chinese buffet, just try to up calories to around maintenance.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

Then re-attack, Be anal retentive about calories and weigh everything. Make sure the foods you are ogging are indeed correct. I have seem some pretty atrocious errors in user submitted foods on here.

This is a personal decision but I would also reduce running and incorporate weightlifting and walking if you like. But listen to your body.

I lift heavy 3 times a week. I like to run a few miles after my workout because i love it. I only run 2-3 miles max so that shouldnt be too bad right? I probably will up my calories a little and if that doesnt work then i will eat at maintenance. Thanks.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I just started running about a month ago. Should i up my distance to burn more calories?

No no. If you just changed your workout, then weightloss can slow because of that, initially. Again, I wouldn't change A THING for now. But that's just me personally. Every week run a bit further or a bit faster or with more hills or something.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

No no. If you just changed your workout, then weightloss can slow because of that, initially. Again, I wouldn't change A THING for now. But that's just me personally. Every week run a bit further or a bit faster or with more hills or something.

Yeah, I'm starting to agree with the above poster. If you just started running a month ago, I'm sure it's possibly water weight for muscle repair. Stick with it. See what happens. Whenever anything changes you really should give it about 6-7 weeks before thinking about changing. So it's been 4 weeks. Give it a few more weeks. Keep measuring. If you're still losing inches you are still winning.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Does that make sense?

That's a big change in exercise routine. You can expect some water retention from that. Usually takes 3-4 weeks but to 8 to settle down.

Patience. Upping burns is not ideal unless you already have other running goals.
    I'd go with waiting out the bloat or a short break in dieting (at maintenance not anything goes)..
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options

I will say that i did lose a few inches but how come i am not losing weight?

If everything you said you are doing is accurate then you are losing fat! You're going down inches. Don't worry about the weight. Worry about the health.
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Well since you've been doing this for a while and things are stabilizing either cut your calories further(250-500) or expand your workout(do an extra hour of cardio).
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    FYI a MFP public diary can be viewed by anyone on the planet, member or not. The same might be the case for your other site...
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Well since you've been doing this for a while and things are stabilizing either cut your calories further(250-500) or expand your workout(do an extra hour of cardio).

No - ignore this it's bad advice.

The addition of running could well mean you are holding water weight - I've just started lifting again and I've jumped up 2lbs overnight, but I know in about 3-4 weeks that will drop again.

If you are losing inches then you are on a deficit - don't drop any lower. The scale can be a lying *%!* That's why most people suggest photos and measurements as well. Last year I lost 8" and not a single pound - but I looked so much better and that worked for me.

I agree with everyone else - maybe take a diet break for a week or two then go back to 1600. Or just give it a few more weeks, let your body get use to the extra exercise.

And congrats on the weight loss so far - you've done amazingly well.