Muscle gain and weight loss...

Options
Hi. I'm 5'4 at a struggling 150 lbs. I did the while TDEE and BMR thing and I'm eating above my BMR but below my TDEE...trying to lose some weight but I'm also trying to gain muscle. On that note...should I be eating more to gain the muscle? I see people eating about 2200 calories and I don't understand that because I thought you'd gain weight....I'm trying to figure out if the calories I'm I taking is enough and I'm not eating too little or too much...

I think I'm confusing myself....

Help please.

Replies

• liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Every body is different, for me I have not lost a pound eating at my TDEE plus eating back my exercise calories with the most nutritious calories I can. So I think I may have to try not eating back my exercise calories if I want to lose more fat, and somehow maintain protein. Really difficult since meat is expensive and I don't like it much.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 5'4 at a struggling 150 lbs. I did the while TDEE and BMR thing and I'm eating above my BMR but below my TDEE...trying to lose some weight but I'm also trying to gain muscle. On that note...should I be eating more to gain the muscle? I see people eating about 2200 calories and I don't understand that because I thought you'd gain weight....I'm trying to figure out if the calories I'm I taking is enough and I'm not eating too little or too much...

Help please.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    There might be some beginner gains but typically you won't grow your muscles and lose weight at the same time. Muscle growth requires a calorie surplus while weight loss requires a calorie deficit. It would be unproductive to try to balance both. Focus on losing weight first by cutting your calories. At this stage weight lifting will help you maintain your muscles.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Every body is different, for me I have not lost a pound eating at my TDEE plus eating back my exercise calories with the most nutritious calories I can. So I think I may have to try not eating back my exercise calories if I want to lose more fat, and somehow maintain protein. Really difficult since meat is expensive and I don't like it much.

How did you estimate your TDEE? That's your TOTAL energy expended for the day, so yes, if you eat your exercise calories back on top of that, you won't lose. You should be eating about 80% of your TDEE if you're going to use that method.

To the OP, it is my understanding that you cannot gain muscle on a deficit. I am sure someone will come along that can answer your questions better than I could.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    It is very difficult to gain muscle and lose weight. After all, to gain muscle, you have to gain weight. Take 5 lbs of muscle and fat... the 5 lbs of muscle is much leaner and takes up less space than the fat. You need to be at a calorie surplus to gain muscle... the surplus varies from person to person, but what I learned in my Sports Nutrition class, it's usually about 200-300 above your TDEE.

I think the best thing for you to do is to lose the weight first. Keeping your intake higher than your BMR is a great start and I applaud you for not eating too low. So many people at below their BMR. Figure out what your average TDEE is and maybe go 250-500 calories below that. It sounds like you do not have a lot to lose so maybe get yourself on 1 lb a week first and once you get closer to your goal weight, adjust to the 1/2 lb setting.

If you're doing cardio at the gym or outside or wherever, the most accurate way to tell calories burned is from a heart rate monitor. If you can't get one now or can not afford one ( they are pricey ), then you can maybe think to eat back 50-75% of your calories. Gym machines may overestimate burns, but again this depends on the person and the machine. Also, exercising ( walking or running ) outside burns more calories than doing them inside. This is only if you do MFP way with the built in deficit and eating back calories.

Once you get to your goal, you might want to revisit the muscle building. If you do strength training now, you can keep the muscle you have. A lot of people lose their muscle when they are on large deficit and doing all cardio. ( I think I lost some muscle. I can't pick up the 40 lb water bottles at Costco like I used to ).
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Okay, MFP has figured my maintenance calories as 1990. I eat my exercise calories back. So, depending on if I work out that day (usually take Saturday off, sometimes Sunday), Because I weight lift three days a week with sometimes 15-30 minutes of spinning afterward, and then run 4-5 miles two to three days a week, I eat anywhere from 1990 to a little more than 2400 calories. Mind you, according to calculators, my TDEE is anywhere from about 1900 to 2100 calories. I have not gained any weight. In fact, it's been the opposite but I am finally finding my maintenance balance.

It's trial and error. If you are gaining weight, cut back just a little bit each day. If you are losing weight, increase just a little every day. I'm talking maybe 50 calories to start with.

I use a heart rate monitor and I weight all my food down to the gram, so I'm sure there is no misestimations going on. And no, I don't have thyroid issues.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Help please.
    Eating at maintenance or a surplus helps build muscle, though it takes time. Except for newbie gains, you won't get any muscle while eating at a deficit.
  • Aprill42
    Aprill42 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! So with my tdee, I don't eat back my exercise calories, correct? I hope not because that's what I've been doing..

So it says my BMR is 1393 and my TDEE is 2160 to lose fat at 15%deficit I should be eating 1836 calories. So I will work on losing weight then gaining muscle.

And I shouldn't eat back my calories since that is already calculated within the equation...correct???
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What does your lifting routine look like and how long have you been lifting for?
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing you can't gain muscle and lose weight, but I did it. I don't lift super heavy, but do it by doing cardio to get my hear rate up to fat burning speed, then lift with out resting between sets, reps or routine changes more than about 30 seconds. My cardiologist recommended building muscl forst to increase the fat burning rate. I also alternate cardio when "resing" my muscles from lifting. I am not bulking up, but have more strength than before and move higher weights, all while losing.

Good luck.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing you can't gain muscle and lose weight, but I did it. I don't lift super heavy, but do it by doing cardio to get my hear rate up to fat burning speed, then lift with out resting between sets, reps or routine changes more than about 30 seconds. My cardiologist recommended building muscl forst to increase the fat burning rate. I also alternate cardio when "resing" my muscles from lifting. I am not bulking up, but have more strength than before and move higher weights, all while losing.

Good luck.

How are you determining that you're building muscle? Building strength is not the same as building muscle mass.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

That's because eating at TDEE plus exercise calories is maintenance.
  • Aprill42
    Options
    Just started...I do legs one day then arms back and chest...about 45 mins each day
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just started...I do legs one day then arms back and chest...about 45 mins each day

I would set yourself at a small deficit and make sure your lifting routine is one that includes progressive loading (increasing reps/weight). You can take advantage of 'newbie gains'. Be aware though that when you start lifting, your muscles will retain glycogen/water and this can mask 'real' weight loss for a few weeks.

Are you doing a pre-programmed routine or one you have developed yourself?
  • Aprill42
    Options
    One Ive made up myself. That I do all the time..now that I think about it I may need to switch it up
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Your statement thment that, "building strength is not the same as building muscle mass," is a bit confusing to me. Where does strength come from if not muscles? And if your definition of "mass" is as "bulking up," then you are probably correct, However, the muscles I have built are modest and visible.

Good luck.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Your statement thment that, "building strength is not the same as building muscle mass," is a bit confusing to me. Where does strength come from if not muscles? And if your definition of "mass" is as "bulking up," then you are probably correct, However, the muscles I have built are modest and visible.

Good luck.
    Gains in neurological efficiency in recruiting muscle fibers. Basically, lifting weight stimulates the muscle. Progression in training and food make it grow to the limits of your particular genetics.