Insanity + weightloss

Options

Replies

• supersparklies
    supersparklies Posts: 40 Member
    Options

My question is, do you use the alotted calories to make up your own meal plan or you use the nutrition guide meal plan?

Were you asking me or the original poster? If it's me, I'm using the nutrition guide meal plan. :) All the meals are simple - cereal, omelets, protein shakes, sandwiches, cottage cheese, yogurt, fruit, etc.

edited to say: It was really hard to make the decision to trust the program and follow the nutrition guide. I've done programs before and ignored the meal plan. I got mediocre results. I just thought I'd take a chance and go for it, knowing I can stop doing it if it's not working. So far, it is. I've been picking foods from the guide and measuring everything.
  • Astronomically_Im_Tiny
    Options
    I guess my question would not be with nutrition, as enough people ask about that, and you are probably eating where you need to be, but instead:

How are you participating in the workout? What is your average heart rate?

INSANITY is High Intensity Interval Training, which means you will get nowhere unless you are going to the max every SINGLE time. If the workout is a minute, and you break for 45 seconds, for instance, you wont get the workout routine effect. If you only give a half-assed effort during the whole time, your heart rate is not going to the max.

This program is designed to keep you at your max heart rate for as long as possible. It sucks, it makes you want to go jump off a bridge, but it is the name of the game. If you don't absolutely hate Shaun T by the time you are done, you aren't doing it right.
  • Astronomically_Im_Tiny
    Options
    And what is a "bodymedia calorie adjustment"? If you are saying you are burning between 800-1000 calories per insanity workout, you are probably overestimating it. That is about 1100-1400 calories per hour. That is virtually impossible for anyone. Please explain your calorie burn each day.
  • wortez
    wortez Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I only lost 5 pounds doing the 9 weeks of insanity. But the change in my body told a different story. Have you been taking pictures of yourself to compare? Thats where I saw the difference and didn't worry about the 5 pounds i lost
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I guess my question would not be with nutrition, as enough people ask about that, and you are probably eating where you need to be, but instead:

INSANITY is High Intensity Interval Training, which means you will get nowhere unless you are going to the max every SINGLE time. If the workout is a minute, and you break for 45 seconds, for instance, you wont get the workout routine effect. If you only give a half-assed effort during the whole time, your heart rate is not going to the max.

This program is designed to keep you at your max heart rate for as long as possible. It sucks, it makes you want to go jump off a bridge, but it is the name of the game. If you don't absolutely hate Shaun T by the time you are done, you aren't doing it right.

Exactly!

I only do Insanity twice a week since I do other workouts as well. If you take breaks, or constantly do the modifications, you won't get a high enough burn. I always feel I am about to die right at the end of it and then, thank goodness, it's cool down time.

ETA: I wear a BodyMedia too and I don't get a burn that's much higher than 250 per Insanity session. I mean, that can be eaten back with a banana and a tbs of peanut butter! Watch your diet closely.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    I recently did Body Revolution, and I did not lose any weight and I only lost about 1/2 inch from my waist. But my clothes fit totally differently and my muscles are more defined. Basically I lost fat in places you don't measure!
  • supersparklies
    supersparklies Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yeah, per BodyMedia, I usually burn close to 300. I am going all out, breathing & sweating like crazy.

A Bodymedia calorie adjustment is just the armband's calorie count aligning itself with MFP.
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options

My question is, do you use the alotted calories to make up your own meal plan or you use the nutrition guide meal plan?

Were you asking me or the original poster? If it's me, I'm using the nutrition guide meal plan. :) All the meals are simple - cereal, omelets, protein shakes, sandwiches, cottage cheese, yogurt, fruit, etc.

edited to say: It was really hard to make the decision to trust the program and follow the nutrition guide. I've done programs before and ignored the meal plan. I got mediocre results. I just thought I'd take a chance and go for it, knowing I can stop doing it if it's not working. So far, it is. I've been picking foods from the guide and measuring everything.

I was asking the OP but thats good though. :) Im not really following it myself but the breakfast and snacks ideas are not bad. Maybe when I try a 2nd round months from now, ill try it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

You will make gains even if you can't go for the entire time. Not everyone has the ability to sustain 60 seconds intervals for over an hour. The bigger thing is coming back and pushing to "your" max each time.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    If insanity builds strength and muscle weighs more than fat then I would say you are on track. You may have also hit the dreaded plateau which is usually when I have always given up. When I was a member of Weight Watchers they said if you hit the plateau go back through your meal journal and eat exactly the way you did the week where you lost the most weight. Just a thought. I am far from an expert or I would not be on here haha. Good luck to you on your goals!

The OP isn't building muscle mass (at least enough to stall the scale). With an intake that low, and no progressive overload, mass gain is going to nearly impossible.

I still go back to not losing inches at all. If that's true, you have to be eating close to TDEE so something in your logging isn't right. Either you're eating more than you think, or if you are eating back exercise cals the estimate is over exaggerated....(although it has only been 4 weeks).
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I only lost a couple pounds during the first month, but dropped 10 in the second month. Insanity is brutal, and your muscles are swollen. If you don't lose after the second month, I would suggest you reevaluate your calorie intake/measuring methods.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Would also suggest a food scale rather than cups as measurement of food, cups are really only useful for measuring volume not weight, you could be going over on the calories because of this.
    If you get a foodscale, do an experiment by measuring 3 different cups of something and weigh them individually and see the difference in the weight between 3 cups of the same size!!

Your cardio has to be improving just by doing Insanity!!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    If insanity builds strength and muscle weighs more than fat then I would say you are on track. You may have also hit the dreaded plateau which is usually when I have always given up. When I was a member of Weight Watchers they said if you hit the plateau go back through your meal journal and eat exactly the way you did the week where you lost the most weight. Just a thought. I am far from an expert or I would not be on here haha. Good luck to you on your goals!

The OP isn't building muscle mass (at least enough to stall the scale). With an intake that low, and no progressive overload, mass gain is going to nearly impossible.

I still go back to not losing inches at all. If that's true, you have to be eating close to TDEE so something in your logging isn't right. Either you're eating more than you think, or if you are eating back exercise cals the estimate is over exaggerated....(although it has only been 4 weeks).

I would think it's water retention more than anything. Even if the OP is under reporting calories consumed, I would highly doubt she is off by 1000 calories. Lets think about it. If the OP is suggesting she is eating 800-1000 calories, even if she falls into the average miscalculation of 400-600 calories, that would still only give her 1300-1500 calories total. I doubt that would even be closer to her TDEE unless she had some metabolic syndrome.

While I understand that there are a ton of people on this board who swear by miscalculating calories is always the failure, there are a ton of people who have increase calories and seen weight loss. And I have personally see this as well as worked with people who have done it'. Maybe it's hormones, maybe the additional calories help repair the muscles quicker releasing water weight, or something else.
  • freakhazerd2424
    freakhazerd2424 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I actually found on the beachbody message boards where Shaun T answered this very question. Here's the link to his response. Hope it helps!!

http://www.teambeachbody.com/connect/message-boards/-/message_boards/message/264931839

Thanks for the link
  • RGv2
    Options
    I actually found on the beachbody message boards where Shaun T answered this very question. Here's the link to his response. Hope it helps!!

http://www.teambeachbody.com/connect/message-boards/-/message_boards/message/264931839

Thanks for the link

Did he really say that meal timing matters, and borderline compared it to starvation mode?
  • RGv2
    Options

I would think it's water retention more than anything. Even if the OP is under reporting calories consumed, I would highly doubt she is off by 1000 calories. Lets think about it. If the OP is suggesting she is eating 800-1000 calories, even if she falls into the average miscalculation of 400-600 calories, that would still only give her 1300-1500 calories total. I doubt that would even be closer to her TDEE unless she had some metabolic syndrome.

While I understand that there are a ton of people on this board who swear by miscalculating calories is always the failure, there are a ton of people who have increase calories and seen weight loss. And I have personally see this as well as worked with people who have done it'. Maybe it's hormones, maybe the additional calories help repair the muscles quicker releasing water weight, or something else.

I would agree with that, and wanted to say it, but my sticking point is the OP isn't losing any inches. If it were straight water weight I believe the OP would see more of a change on the tape and in the mirror.
  • rachbarr22
    rachbarr22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm mid way through week 5 (recovery week) and i haven't lost a single pound but i have lost 13.5 inches overall so far. I would like to see the scales move but as long as the inches keep coming off i'll keep going, Don't be discouraged.
  • tcamp02
    tcamp02 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Meal timing does matter..it makes a huge difference whether you eat all your calories in one meal or spread them out over 5-6 meals a day. That's what he was saying. One big meal will put your body into starvation mode because your body isn't getting a constant flow of fuel.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Meal timing does matter..it makes a huge difference whether you eat all your calories in one meal or spread them out over 5-6 meals a day. That's what he was saying. One big meal will put your body into starvation mode because your body isn't getting a constant flow of fuel.

Meal timing has been proven a myth by a large portion of the fitness community regardless of what beachbody would suggest. Unfortunately, there are a lot of myth still preached by beachbody. .. when I get off my phone I will provide links.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I would agree with that, and wanted to say it, but my sticking point is the OP isn't losing any inches. If it were straight water weight I believe the OP would see more of a change on the tape and in the mirror.

Its been a month, even if she lost, muscle inflammation and not consistently measuring the same spot could account for the lack of loss. Either way I am still trying to figure out if the op is using a food scale