P90x and a few other phrases?

Options
Im new to this site and was wondering if anyone can help me understand what some of this stuff is. I see posts all the time about P90x and some other terms like BMI and some others i cant remember. if someone could please give me an idea to what i should know and anything that will help me in my weight loss journey.

Replies

• believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    P90X is a fitness course/routine by Tony Horton. I love it!
    BMI is your "body mass index" - basically a measurement of how much fat you're carrying!

Hope this helps :)
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    P90X = Power 90 Extreme. It's a 90-day workout program (DVDs you can do at home) by Tony Horton that focuses on muscle confusion.

BMI = Body mass index. It's a mathematical formula that takes different body measurements and determines how healthy you are.

HRM = Heart rate monitor. This tracks your heart rate while you work out so you get the best idea of how many calories you burn during exercise. There are different kinds/price ranges, but most will agree that one with a chest strap is the most accurate.
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    You've probably seen C25K, as well. It's the Couch to 5K running program for beginners. You can google it. :)
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Here's a quick glossary:

P90x - A workout DVD program sold by BeachBody fitness. It's not cheap and it's a heavy commitment program (6 days a week a least an hour a day), but a lot of people here have gotten incredible results from it. It focuses on a technique called "muscle confusion", which constantly switches up the type of exercises you're doing so that your body doesn't get comfortable and plateau.

BMI - Body Mass Index. It's a score you can calculate it here in the tools section using the BMI calculator. It will give you an idea of if you are underweight, a healthy weight, overweight, or obese.

BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate- The number of calories you would burn per day if you do nothing but stay in bed and sleep all day. You can also calculate it in the tools.

Maintenance Calories - The number of calories you would need to maintain your current weight. This is calculated by taking your BMI and multiplying it by your activity level. MFP calculates this for you.

Deficit- The number of calories your current calorie intake is from your maintenance calories.

Goal Calories: The target number of calories you need to consume a day (net of exercise) in order to hit the weight loss target you selected when you set up your profile. This is the number that MFP lists as your goal, that you go over and under. NOTE: If you go over your goal, but are at less than your Maintenance Calories, you will still lose weight.

Net Calories: The number of calories you eat minus the number of calories burned by exercise.

Starvation mode: When you give your body too few calories (largely considered to be less than 1200 net calories consistently over a long period of time) and your body believes it is starving, causing you to stop losing weight. A lot of people hit this plateau if they are underrating and overexercising.

Hopefully this helps!
  • samara_334
    samara_334 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    yes this helps alot thanks everyone! but how do i know what my heart rate needs to be to lose weight? or burn fat. right now i just go on the eliptical and punch in my weight , age , fat burn , and heart rate at usually 129 and it calculates my calories burned. so is this not accurate?
  • gilbertp
    Options
    its best to talk to your doctor or use the web to find a site that will give you this info try goggling training heart rate something will pop up you can us and I love the P90X program just started it this week in three day, I'm already up to 45 mins of working out with out stopping and I'm 235 and 48 yrs old