What counts as "water" consumption??

Options
I've heard so many conflicting opinions that I'm left completely confused! As far as I understand it (from my personal trainer and doctor), any beverage without caffeine or alcohol can be counted towards the 8-cup-daily-water consumption. Some people say that ANY liquid is okay (coffee included), and some are really strict, believing only water counts towards the 8 glasses.

Personally.. I HATE drinking water. For some reason, forcing myself to drink it makes me feel nauseous (is it just me?). But being that it's Canada and winter, I've started drinking lots of decaffeinated herbal teas and I've been counting these as water. What do you think? Can I count 1% milk also? What about low-calorie juices? As long as it's liquid going in, that's okay, right?

Any and all opinions are very welcome!! :)

Replies

• 1983Miller
    1983Miller Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I struggle to get in my 8 glasses of water also. I have turned to the packets of flavors to give them some new taste. I also choose water as my main beverage with my meals because I will taste the food more. I am not counting my coffee or tea, yet.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I think it's kind of complex. The short answer is that nothing hydrates you as well as water does. Since it's not bogged down with sugars and salts and caffeine and other stuff, it's pure hydration. Other beverages hydrate you, but not to the same effect as water does. When counting my 8 glasses, I only count water, or something that's almost water, like Propel or Club soda. I don't count soda, gatorade, or milk. That being said, you'll still get hydrated by those different drinks, just to a lesser effect.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Yep, anything except caffeine and alcohol counts. It's better to do water because it's zero-calorie, but for hydration purposes (which is really what the recommendation is about) just about any beverage counts. Even caffeine and alcohol provide some hydration, but since they're diuretics they provide less benefit than if you drank the same amount of another beverage.
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I count anything under 45 calories as my daily intake for water. My doctor shared this with me when I told her of my aversion to drinking loads of water. Now, with that being said, the best liquids for your body is water. Drink it slower but more often. It gagged me as well but now, for the most part, that is what I crave most!
  • malakii
    malakii Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i count tea, diluted juice and milk as "water"...i've heard that tea is second only to water for increasing hydration. mind you, this was written on the side of a box of teabags! can't comment on fizzy drinks, cos i try to avoid them, but i reckon tea and diluted juice are mainly water anyway, so they work for me! :)
  • tashajasmine
    tashajasmine Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered that a 2 liter soda bottle is 67oz. I cleaned one out and fill it up with filtered water from my sink, then put it in the refrigerator. I just make sure I drink the whole bottle of water by the end of the day. It really helps and, no, I do not count any other beverage as water.
  • StephieAmber
    Options
    I believe you can count some things as water, like herbal tea. Things like sodas or milk I tend not to, but thats a personal preference. I love how water tastes, so I don't worry about not drinking enough.

Fish get their water from eating other fish, and there is water is water in practically all fruits and vegetables. So you do get water in many forms. So if you'd like to count your teas then do it. Getting some water in a way that is palatable to you vs. not getting any water is, in my own opinion, worth it.

However, don't give up on the plain ol' water...it can be pretty good just by its self ;)

Good luck!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I'm glad to see it's not just me that struggles with those darned 8 glasses a day!! :blushing:

I rarely drink anything other than water, tea, coffee, and milk (either 1% or chocolate, haha). Sometimes I'll drink ocean spray 10-calorie cranberry juice, but that's about it. I love to eat (obviously!) and hate "wasting" calories on liquid!! I'm a little worried about aspartame, so I don't use those "crystal light" packets anymore, though I used to!!

What is the calorie count in a tea? I don't ever add milk or sugar - just straight herbal or fruit tea. No nutrition is listed - is it safe to assume 0 calories??
  • xxjessikatxx
    Options
    the only thing i count as water is water..What saved me and gets me to drink all that water is hawaiin punch packets no sugar , caffine or calories.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I count anything that has no caffeine or sodium. Crystal light, decaf iced tea, herbal tea, etc. counts. Coffee, chicken broth, soda don't.
  • bergswoman
    Options
    Have you tried drinking water out of different containers. This may sound crazy but at my house my husband and I decided not to bring anything but water to drink in our house to get our selves away from drinking so much soda. I have trouble drinks plain water from a glass or plastic cup however I did find a rubber made container that I like to drink out of. I also refill water bottles with water from my tap. we have a softener and UV light on our water which is from a spring so it is good water. Just an idea.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I only count water, or water with a crystal lite packet in it. But I don't even drink those very often anymore because it is just more mystery crud.... I stick to counting just water. I do my best NOT to drink my calories unless it is freshly juiced fruits or veggies.
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    There are so many different opinions - you just have to decide what makes the most sense to you - when you're HONEST with yourself and not just deciding to count what you WANT to count. But wouldln't that be much more fun?

For me, the only things that count as water are water, carbonated water (without sugar, sugar substitutes, or salt), and herbal tea.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I count everything except milk. Since I am VERY fond of my Diet Mountain Dew, and am NOT willing to give it up, I compromise. I alternate my DMD with water. 1 glass DMD, next glass water. I usually just chug the water to get it OVER WITH, and then enjoy my DMD at leisure. Could I do better??? Sure, but I could also do worse. Baby steps are at least something I can actually stick to. All water sounds great in theory, but I won't stick to it. Do what works for you. CHEERS!
  • DebNG
    DebNG Posts: 2
    Options
    I trust this website for health info: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm still a diet soda drinker. Water makes me feel very sick, and if I try and make myself drink it I find I'll avoid having a drop of drink for a whole day just to avoid drinking water. Clearly, that's not healthy.

Then there's my 'drinking memory'. Even if I'm not having water I'm often so busy that I forget to drink. I now drink approximately 500-600mls of low-calorie fruit and barley squash during my day at the office, and top up with a couple of cans of diet soda in the evening. It's still not enough, but it's the best way for me so far, and I'm constantly striving to remember to drink more.

Water isn't for everyone, so I'm just pleased if I can ever have a day when I reach my 'water' consumption with any liquid!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    All liquids will hydrate you. The diuretic effects of caffeine are minuscule compared to the amount of water you're getting with it. You can "count" whatever you want, but counting how much water you drink is pretty useless anyway. Are you well hydrated? That's all that matters. There is no magical benefit to drinking 8 glasses of pure water.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    my goal is 120 oz of WATER (I dont count anything else as water) It can be water with a few cucumber slices in it or lemon or lime slices, but I personally dont count juice, Milk etc. :-) I think its kind of a personal choice
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I have been at this since July 2011 and I still can't stand plain water. I flavor it. There is Crystal Light but I don't really like the flavor much, I use a version sold at Target under the Archer Farms brand, they are delicious added to my bottled water and only 10 calories. Using that, I have no problem getting in 4 x 16 oz bottles of water per day, which is equivalent to 8 x 8 oz cups. :-)
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I only count water. Anything else (tea, don't ever drink milk, juice or diet soda anymore) I log separately. I have a 50cl bottle that I know I have to fill and finish 4 times in a day to have had my 8.4 cups of water. I do the rubber band thing; in the morning I put 4 rubber bands on my wrist and every time I have finished the bottle I take one rubber band off. That way I keep count and also get a reminder of that I still have more water to drink when I see them on there, haha.