Advice?

Options
I am a 20 year old female and I weigh 241 pounds and have finally decided to commit to eating healthy and losing weight. Currently my goal is 160, which means I want to lose about 80 pounds. That number seems impossible to me right now and I feel like I am in over my head, is there any tips or tricks to starting out? What are some things that really work for becoming more healthy and losing weight?
Any advice at all would be appreciated

Replies

• daniel9797
    daniel9797 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well, to start things off, your goal is drastically to big. I have to lose 150+ pounds and when I see that it always puts me in a depressed mood, and I end up failing myself. Set a small goal. You should say, "Let me lose my first 10 pounds, then my next 10, and you will reach each little goal faster, than one big goal. With seeing the small improvements of 10 pounds, you will stick it through and get there.

I have a set goal for the month of July. You can set your goal in time or distance, of how far you are going to walk. My first goal is 70 miles for this month. Which sounds like a lot, but is only like 2.5 to 3 miles a day. And walking with my dog makes that go by in a breeze.

If you want to add me you can.
    "Keep your head up. You are so much better than you believe. You can do this. I promise." Good luck.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a digital food scale, GET ONE. Weigh or measure everything before you eat it. Log every single thing you put in your mouth. Set a good calorie goal and good macronutrient goals and BE CONSISTENT. Drink plenty of water.
  • zgolub
    zgolub Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey!

-Make sure to get in some exercise most days of the week. As you get stronger and more fit and notice your body changing, you'll be encouraged to do more and eat healthier.
    -Incorporate weight training into your routine 3 times a week- your body will FEEL leaner and you'll feel sexier.
    -Try to focus on eating healthy for you foods, the less processed the better. There are so many great ways to prepare yummy veggies that you can keep your diet varied and not feel like you're missing out on taste.
    -Have cooked ( I like to poach) chicken breast in your fridge at all times (so versatile: add to salad, throw on top of sautéed vegetables, cold chicken strips dipped into mustard (or other low cal dressing) as a high protein snack.
    - Plan your menu for the week (or 3 days at a time), measure stuff out into containers so you know how many servings you're getting and bring food to work with you so that you don't feel inclined to order food. Also have high protein snacks around (like little baggies of almonds- they even have chocolate dusted ones for a sweet tooth) so that you don't go to drive thrus or cafes when hungry on your way home from work.
    -Have herbal flavored teas around for when you want a bit of a dessert. That hot cup of cinnamon or chocolate tea can give you a "sticks to my ribs" feeling in your belly and can help with dessert cravings (great for that drive home from work when you're tired and a soothing warm drink settles the nerves and fills the belly).
    -Stick to the "Three bite rule" when there are desserts around at like a birthday party or wherever: It takes 3 bites to coat your tongue with flavor and saturate your taste buds, after those 3 bites you don't taste anything new. So try a forkful or two of the birthday cake...but then throw it away, or share a slice with two friends.
    -Log, log log. You'll feel accountable.
    -If you slip up, don't give up. Next meal is another opportunity to do better!
  • LizGogol
    LizGogol Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It's not impossible! You can do it!

Personally Jillian Michaels and her DVDs changed my life! Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, Ripped in 30, Shed and Shred etc.. are all amazing! If you aren't the type of person to push yourself just let Jillian do it for you! A lot of those DVD's come with meal plans too!
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Be consistent in what you do.. Give something a good month before you judge your progress too harshly(within healthy bounds that is)... Even eating at a deficient while starting a new routine will usually lead to some superficial weight gain(muscles generally are retaining water when they're sore). You can judge the effect over the course of a month a lot easier than day by day.

Weight can and will fluctuate 2-10 pounds a day! (http://scoobysworkshop.com/how-to-weigh-yourself-accurately/#dailyweightfluxuations) I try to watch for downward trends. For example- I weigh myself daily... Right now my low weight is 171.6 if in the morning I weigh myself and it's 171.1 I'll record it, if it's 172+ I'll ignore it and go on about my day. I know that as long as I stay in a deficient my body's going to do it's thing, the scale just isn't the best judge. :)

As mentioned, if you do not have a digital food scale get one if you can(preferable one that measures grams or ounces and 2 decimals on the ounces..

Also- Anything is better than what we were doing. It's hard to be patient, but I tell myself that it's all worth it and as long as I'm not gaining, I'm doing better than I was before I started using MFP.

And if you're in for some good reading- http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Well, to start things off, your goal is drastically to big. I have to lose 150+ pounds and when I see that it always puts me in a depressed mood, and I end up failing myself. Set a small goal. You should say, "Let me lose my first 10 pounds, then my next 10, and you will reach each little goal faster, than one big goal. With seeing the small improvements of 10 pounds, you will stick it through and get there.

This. I have lost 70lbs, but never set out believing I could lose that much. My first goal was to lose 40lbs as I was going to be 40. While I won't say it was easy, it was no way as hard as I thought it would be. After that I set 7lb goals, as this was then taking me lower in weight than I had been in over 20 yrs which I didn't believe was possible!

Make changes which you feel are sustainable - this is for the long haul. Be honest about what these are. I was happy to forgo biscuit with coffee, but wanted to still have a glass of wine on a weekend with some crisps, so I did, but these fit within my allowance. As other have said - planning is key. It feels like a hassle to begin with but it is so worth it, and soon becomes routine.

If you choose to exercise find something you are feel happy to do. I started doing Wii fit at home, behind closed curtains, and doing more walking.

Good luck - you can do this!
  • MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I set myself up with mini-goals, each one being 10% weight loss. Going from 200 to 180 didn't sound so intimidating, and now going from 180 to 162 doesn't seem to terrible, either. My final goal is 145. Going from 200 to 145 sounded too impossible when I first started.

And I decided to reward myself each time I made a mini-goal - when I got down to 180 I bought a really expensive pair of running shoes. I have not decided what to do for 162, but maybe a full spa day or a mini-vacation with my husband.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You have gotten some great advice here. Read the sexypants link, there is a great amount of information in there.

In addition to weighing weekly, I also take pictures and measurements every month. It can be very helpful to have a side-by-side comparison for when you are feeling frustrated. I don't feel 30lbs lighter, but when I look at the pictures, I can really see the difference, particularly the side view of my big belly.

Add some friends. They will help keep you motivated and be a sounding board for you when you are having a challenging time. Send requests to people you see on the boards who are inspirational and supportive. It's nice to attach a message with your request so they know where you have seen them. Add some of the friends of your friends if you notice they are really helpful and supportive.

Trust in the process and have a lot of patience. Forgive yourself if you do not always make the best choices, and DO NOT demonize any foods. If you want a burger, have a burger, make it fit your calorie goals. If you go over your daily allowance do not allow that to ruin your day/week/month. Give yourself the patience and forgiveness you would give others.

:flowerforyou:
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I agree with the mini-goals. Instead of looking only toward the end goal, and getting discouraged by the time it takes to get there, set interim goals. I would say every ten to 15 pounds or so. Have a non food reward for reaching each goal. For example, buying a cute piece of clothing or some cute shoes, getting your nails done, going to see a movie. Try not to be in a big hurry, because slower weight loss will give your skin time to shrink up as you lose the fat. Doing exercise that builds muscle is also a good plan. It keeps your metabolism up and helps with the loose skin issue as well. Make sure to drink plenty of water, as that's how your body washes out things it's getting rid of, like byproducts of fat breakdown, fatigue chemicals, lactic acid, etc.

I am now at the point that I lose only about half a pound a week. I try NOT to focus on how long it will take before reaching my goal, but instead to just do the right things one day at a time. Do my workout, eat the right foods, stop when the calorie total of 1200 is reached. Though the weight loss is slow, the woman in the mirror looks MUCH better, due to muscle tone and overall health. You will notice these changes too. That's the most encouraging part.

Oh, I almost forgot! Chew gum. If you crave flavor, they make gum in all sorts of cool flavors now. I have saved myself from bingeing so many times with gum! Also, different flavors of tea.