losing it all?

Options
2»

Replies

• dcamell
    dcamell Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I rely heavily on eggs, peanut butter, beans and lentils for cheap protein. Also, a good protein shake should net you close to 25-30 grams. Pretty inexpensive comparatively. They have some really solid, inexpensive ones at Walmart and costco.

More fuel should see a marked improvement in strength gains. You're also going to need to take a heavier focus on your nutrition. I'm willing to bet that if you were more strategic with your fuel (unfortunately not all delicious delicious twinkies) you would feel better all around.

Of course these are all opinions based on my personal experience, but I think you're headed down the right path here!

Wish you the best of luck, and for more responses you may want to revive this thread tomorrow. We're on skeleton crew right now =)

Edit: saw the bit about eggs. Here's some other stuff: Cottage cheese, greek yogurt, nuts, tuna....I'll add more if I can remember.

And DEFINITELY use a lifting program. Adding structure will really help you progress.

Heh, I haven't been eating Twinkies, in case I gave that impression. The last processed food I ate was sugary breakfast cereals that I phased out six weeks ago for my ghetto egg mcmuffin each morning, which Is two scrambled eggs on wheat toast with cubed galaxy cooked in and topped with a slice of cheese.

I already ncorporate sardines, so tuna isn't as appealing. I guess the suggest suggetion I've seen that's a solution for both my calorie deficit and my protein needs Is peanut butter; I've missed the stuff ever since I went on a deficit nearly ninety pounds ago.
  • d0v3r13
    d0v3r13 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    10oz of beef jerky at <$10, 1 oz serv. 80 cals, 13g pro $1/serv. (Target, Market Pantry brand)

chicken <$1.99/lb 8 oz serv. 250 cals, 52g pro $1/serv.

nonfat plain greek yogurt ~$4/quart 8 oz serv. 134 cals, 24g pro $1/serv.

i use the greek yogurt a little at a time on top of eggs, or soup or tacos or anything that i would normally think to use sour cream, or you can add 8 oz to the fruit you already eat and bump up the protein content very easily. if you are ok with fake sugars you could even add a small packet of your preferred sweetener or just use honey. its also a really easy way to bump up **protein** content if you bake by using it instead of butter.

anyway, these are my fave 3 protein sources and i consider them to be very cheap. plus they're very healthy, although if you are concerned about sodium you might want to skip the beef jerky or plan around it.

edit: stupid word mix up...makes more sense now.