Zumba Doom-ba

Options
So, I attended my first Zumba class tonight and it was a little bit of hell. I do not think I was prepared for an hour workout. I should feel good after attending but instead I left feeling disgusted, disappointed, a little embarrased. I made it through 50 min. of class.

Okay, the reason I felt disgusted - I was in the front of the class looking in the mirror at this morbidly obese uncordinated fool (me.) It was hard to follow the steps. I know that I will catch on eventually.

Disappointed? - I was there looking at my fat *kitten* in the mirror and I do not know how I ever let it get this far. When I was younger, I loved dancing in front of the mirror, I was so vain.

Embarrased that I did not make it to the end of class. My feet felt like pins and needles and I truly pushed myself to continue but this was extensive for me.

If I was to be positive about the class, The music was fun. The other woman in the class were all very nice and welcoming. although I felt like someone should be laughing at me .... no one did.

Replies

• heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! Your first class and you made it a whole 50 minutes! That, you should be PROUD of! That takes endurance. Way to go!
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    You made it for 50 minutes???? That's awesome! My first class I had to stop a bunch of times - I thought I was going to die!

I promise it will get easier. And if you keep going you will get to know the steps and it will really help.

I started in the front of the class, but I found that if I moved back to the middle I could actually see the instructor from a different perspective, and get a better idea of what she was doing. Plus - it let me see how others were doing - I promise that they aren't all doing well. What a relief that was for me!

Keep at it!
  • Krys_T
    Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Ok first...stop calling yourself fat! Second, making it through 50 minutes of Zumba is freaking awesome for your first time! My boyfriend has been an athlete his whole life and couldn't last 10 minutes when we were doing it in the privacy of our own home.

Don't worry about being uncoordinated JUST KEEP MOVING and trying your best. You should be proud that you even had the guts to go to the class. I don't even know you and I am proud of you. I started Zumba and I LOVE it! Just keep going to the class and you will get the basic movements down. Don't worry about trying to make it look like Shakira lol...make it look like YOU!

Judos to you girl...you are awesome in my book!
  • StephieAmber
    Options
    My first class was JUST as tough. It's hard to "dance" at that intensity for an entire 60 minutes!! So WOW for getting as far as you did.

But KEEP GOING!! Its is SO much fun...and the best part, EVERYONE who is not the instructor feels as uncoordinated as you do. Im pretty sure I look like a complete fool trying to move my hips and feet and arms all at the same time. But I'm so concentrated on doing the moves and watching the instructor I don't even notice what everyone else is doing.

You'll be amazed at how much easier the 2nd class is. And if you need to slow down and just step side to side, rather than hop, then do it. No one will laugh...and honestly I doubt anyone even notices what you're doing. So go in there, have a good time, and in a couple classes you'll be a latin dancin' queen :)
  • Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    50 minutes for a Zumba class is awesome! Think of all of the calories you burned in 50 minutes. I'm sure somewhere, in another Zumba class, there's someone more uncoordinated than you thinking the same thing. I do it in the privacy of my own home on my Wii, making sure my children and husband are not home and I'm still embarrassed. It's hard to keep up especially for the first time. Those moves are not easy and they're fast. If you keep going, maybe stay at the back of the class. ? I think it's great that you Zumba'd for 50 minutes. :flowerforyou:
  • cmw2011
    cmw2011 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just started Zumba this week at home. I'm still working on the basic moves! Don't give up! When I can't figure it out, I just march in place and shake my hips until that part's over. It'll happen! Stick with it! It gets easier every time!
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Awesome start! The only people that should be embarrassed are those who won't even try and let the fear of what others think stop them from doing something to begin with.
  • trutlet
    trutlet Posts: 11
    Options
    Good for you trying something new. If you love to dance, enjoyed the music and the other women were nice I say that is quite enough to stick with it. I started Zumba last year about this time and did it for several months. It even got to where I didn't feel I was burning as much calories because I got more comfortable with the moves and built up endurance. I hadn't done it for several months until last night. Wow....about kicked my butt. I am with you though......I HATE MIRRORS! At this one place I went I would try and get there early so I wouldn't be in front of them. :)

One thing about Zumba is that it changes every little bit so everyone is paying attention to the leader and not to you!

Keep with it! I know it is hard and feels like a big slap in the face. I've been there..done that....many, many, many times. Hopefully this go around I can stick to it!!!
  • mikaselm
    Options
    Belly Dance is the same way. When I took my first bellydance workout class, I had been dancing for 4 years and it STILL kicked my *kitten*. Those classes are intense. When I taught dance classes, I had one hard and fast rule, which was if you every say something bad about yourself, you have to stop and think up two good things to say about yourself.

Try it, it'll make the class more fun!
  • jjcollins83
    Options
    I had zumba also for the first time tonight . its hard took everything i had to last the hour.. did you take a friend with you? i took my sister we had a blast cheer up it will get easier or that what im telling myself. lol
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    YOU WENT TO ZUMBA! That is such a step.

I had NEVER, EVER danced before in my life (exception 2 slow songs with hubby, TWO!). I can't believe I went but I did. About 30 minutes in, I was faint. Had to lean against the wall for 1/2 song. Got home after finishing class and was very faint. That was JULY 2010. I have not missed ONE class since and I go twice a week!

It becomes a passion. You begin to find yourself again. To quote Shania Twain, "man, I feel like a woman"!

Stop looking at yourself in the mirror and focus on the instructor. Do your best to mimic the moves, if it's too complicated, modify.

BE PROUD that you went. BE INSPIRED that you pushed yourself further than you thought you were capable. BE THAT KID that enjoyed dancing and shake it!
  • Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has been an athlete his whole life and couldn't last 10 minutes when we were doing it in the privacy of our own home.

LOL!!!!!!!! Love it!
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    First of all, quit putting yourself down! You went in there and did something! You get on here every day and log your calories and exercise! You are AMAZING!

And - seriously?!? You did 50 FREAKIN' MINUTES OF ZUMBA in your first class???? :noway: I made it through about 15 before I had to stop and take a breath! I'm actually doing the 30 Day Shred because it's EASIER to me! LOL! Thank goodness it was a friend's DVD I was borrowing to check it out and I had to give it back to her! Geez.....

ROCK ON, GIRL!!!
  • ZumbaTriad
    ZumbaTriad Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    First of all ... CONGRATULATIONS on making it through 50 mins! Anyone that thinks Zumba is for whimps has NOT been to my class! ;-)

Second ... *I* don't like watching myself in the mirror either. On the rare occasion that I teach in a gym with mirrors, I make everyone turn around and face the other direction. Next class, focus on the music and don't worry so much about how you personally look performing the moves.

I know it's hard to do, but commit yourself to taking 2 more classes .. it'll make a world of difference from class #1 to class #3.

And just remember that as long as you're moving and having fun ... YOU'RE DOING IT RIGHT!
  • tferreri
    Options
    Thankyou everyone for the encouraging responses. I feel much better .... I even danced w/ my girls when I returned home tonight. I'm going to start with one Zumba class a week.
  • ColemanM
    Options
    I must tell you, YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Having weighed 375 pounds, I walked into Zumba Class, and Step Aerobics classes, did my twenty minutes or so that I could handle and walked out. As time progressed and I continued to attend these classes, I took the instructors advice: This class is for you, do what you can do and as long as you are moving you are doing something which is better than nothing.

As I got more comfortable with the environment, I ended up staying the whole hour even if I spent more than 1/2 the time walking in place. I was there watching people and learning the steps. It does take a good 4 weeks to really get familiar at the steps, and then right when you think you got it, the instructor will go and change it up on you :) Zumba isn't about dancing well or having rhythm, it's about having fun, and enjoying your workout.

I must say I hate the mirrors too, but I find myself a place towards the back where I can still see and focus on the instructor or someone around me vs the mirror.

The fact that you made it to the gym to go to Zumba class is an accomplishment in itself! It's a step in the right direction, nonetheless! And you completed 50 minutes of class, now that's something to be proud of!
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    zumba days.....be sure to eat well and drink, drink, DRINK lots of water to hydrate your body!