help! my butt is sore!

Options
I hope that title drew some people in.

Basically I want to start doing strength training (especially lower body) but every time I do a workout w a lot of squats and lunges etc my butt and legs get so sore the next day and the day after that I just can't do it again. I know you need like a day of recovery but idk how I'm supposed to do this on a regular schedule if doing it for 1 day leaves me so sore! How do you work up to being able to do it every other day?

Replies

• Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    Try finishing each workout with 15 minutes of light cardio like jogging. I find that helps cut down on soreness. The day after your workout, no matter how sore you are, do some light or moderate exercise for about 20 minutes to thoroughly warm up and then do some stretches.

Start out with 2 rest days (where you do light movement) between each heavy workout. As you get more used to it you can cut down the number of rest days.

Hope this helps your pain in the *kitten*! :)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    You just have to suck it up and squat. I tend to find that once the muscles are warmed up the soreness goes away. Then after a couple of weeks your muscles should be adapted and the DOMs wont be so noticeable.
  • ingeborgv
    ingeborgv Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    The only consolation is that as your body gets used to strength training, you won't get as sore after a workout. It might take you a few weeks to adjust, though.

It's a good motivational factor for keeping going, though. I had to stop weight training for a few months due to an injury. After my first session after the break, I was so sore I could hardly walk for two days. :laugh:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Your body will adapt. Nothing wrong with starting twice a week for a few weeks.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    More weight, less reps.
  • mcshelliburd
    Options
    I take DOMS as a sign of a good session; I've pushed myself harder than the last. I would usually give myself at least two days recovery from working that body part again with heavy weight, but will continue with cardio and stretching (it helps). I wouldn't train heavy on one body part more than twice a week as muscles need time to recover and grow :-)
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    As long as it's just sore and not actually hurt, then suck it up buttercup!!!

I do find that actually using the muscles again lightly eases them off, Monday I done heavy strength on legs and my legs and backside were really sore on the Tuesday, went out for a 3.5 mile run Tuesday evening and everything was much better after I had finished, wasn't a fast run, just done what I could.

I still remember my first ever bootcamp and having to walk down the stairs backwards the next morning, but went back to the bootcamp 48hrs later and done what I could and felt much better for it, you don't do the same intensity workout but doing something is much better for you.

You're muscles also get used to it and will only ache after you've really increased the weight!
  • riirii93_
    riirii93_ Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great answers, everyone!
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I use workout videos at home and took a break last week to focus on running. Yesterday I worked out and am beat today, as I always, and am debating working out. Guess I'll do it. thanks!
  • arisubaby
    arisubaby Posts: 2
    Options
    I love the soreness after doing squats! I might be crazy but it hurts so good. It does get easier and it does hurt less after a while. You could try getting a foam roller and rolling out your thighs and butt.

(I'm a bit crazy and I'm addicted to the pain of sore muscles!)
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Give it some time, the soreness will go away. I actually muss it now. Also try a foam roller. Does magic for my gluteus and quads