Help with macros ?

Options
Hello everyone,

I'm a 27 year old female, lost 15 pounds in two months, still have 6 lbs to go.

SW: 130
CW: 116
GW: 110-ish

I am 5'1. (short!!)
My TDEE is 1740, and my BMR 1340 (these figures are averages based on results according to different calculators).
I also have no idea what my body fat % is, since I don't own a tape measure and don't know how to calculated it without one :)

I'm new on MFP

MFP set me to eating a daily 1200 without exercise ( I selected lightly active), but I set it manually to 1350 so that I wouldn't starve, and eat back 70% of my exercise calories on top of that (I do strength training but no cardio. I do have muscles though, and they are starting to show slowly as the fat dissapears).

I have been doing very well so far and am happy with my loss.

Now I'm close to my goal weight, I'd like to finally understand the finer points of my needs in terms of macos, in grams.
So far I've been concentrating on calories and eating what I guess is enough protein.

So my question is: how many grams of carbs, fat and protein do I need every day ? I would really like to know. I left the 50%, 30% and 20% on the MFP settings. Can I trust the MFP figures ?

I think I have been eating around 50% carbs, 30% protein and 15% fat for the last couple of months, usually getting around 10g fiber everyday.

My diary is open on MFP but I have only been logging for a couple of days....

cheers everyone and good luck getting to your goal !

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What did you choose for a weight loss goal on MFP?

You may want to check out this link, it is full of helpful information
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?

It includes this link which should help answer your question
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • sarahsamuels82
    sarahsamuels82 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Personally I use macros of around 35% Carbs, 35% protein and 30% fat, but what works for me may not work for everyone - it is trial and error.

I find MFP estimates your calories a bit on the low side though - try using this calculator instead and then manually update your goals:
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Use the 'fat loss' figure.

It also gives the option of 'zig-zagging' your calories (which can sometimes help with getting rid of those last few pounds).

But saying all of this - if you are still losing weight then best not to change anything until you plateau?
  • katmurraymint
    Options
    Hi,

The website "if it fits your macros" is definitely useful as I was in a similar position with wanting to go beyond just meeting the calories and understanding more about macros.

I think the usual suggestion is 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat or 40% protein, 30c, 30f if you are doing strength work and wanting to reduce your body fat %.

15% fat is quite low I think and you may want to increase that now you've lost so much weight!

Hope that helps :)
  • tough_cookie40
    Options
    A 40C 30P 30F is a good starting ratio
  • lulubeber
    lulubeber Posts: 37
    Options
    A 40C 30P 30F is a good starting ratio

and is it ok for "finishing" (i.e. maintenance) ?
  • lulubeber
    Options
    I don't really care about being low carb or not as long as my calories are ok, but I've having trouble eating 35% or 40% protein ( makes me feel like I'm on a high protein diet). So as some people suggested, I lowered the carbs to 35%, protein to 30% and fat to 25% ,so every day I would need to eat:

152 g. carbs
    38 g. fat
    101 g. protein

This still seems like A LOT of protein for me ( a helping of lean meat/fish at every meal+ lentils + low fat cottage cheese still won't meet the goal....). 1g./kg of my weight (normal "reccomendations" ) would mean I need 50g. and here I'm still supposed to double that?

Also: these % don't add up to 100 !!! so what does tht mean if I'm not going over any one of three macros ? That I'm eating air ? or veggies low in carbs ?

The finer points of the game are quite hard to understand. MACROS ARE CONFUSING !!!
  • katmurraymint
    Options
    I also find it really hard to meet protein as I used to be vegetarian and am still not much of a meat eater.

I've found non-fat yoghurt, peanut butter and cottage cheese good and then chicken breast.

I aslo invested in some protein powder and have made protein pancakes which knock my total up to the right proportion as one scoop= 19g protein.

I've read that it is 1g per lb so I imagine you need more than 50g and likely more if you are exercising.

The mfp automatically shifts it so they add to 100% so that is confusing!

I would suggest 45c, 30p amd 25f maybe if you don't want low carb and seem to have a low fat diet?

:)
  • mowbry
    mowbry Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have just switched to macros so I cannot say that it has changed me, however I have noticed the same as "Katmurraymint" has, that I have had to incorporate cottage cheese and protein powder into my diet to obtain the protein. I am currently working in grams:130g Protein, 120g Carbs and 40g Fat. I have tried to set it in the MFP but it tries to change it when you change the protein etc so I have set it as close as I can to my own figures. I also love last year's post "Sexy Pants" as he makes a lot of sense. The times I watch my calories are around the TOM when I know I have cravings however I do try to keep it within my macros without blowing it. Good luck on this voyage of discovery!
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I don't really care about being low carb or not as long as my calories are ok, but I've having trouble eating 35% or 40% protein ( makes me feel like I'm on a high protein diet). So as some people suggested, I lowered the carbs to 35%, protein to 30% and fat to 25% ,so every day I would need to eat:

152 g. carbs
    38 g. fat
    101 g. protein

This still seems like A LOT of protein for me ( a helping of lean meat/fish at every meal+ lentils + low fat cottage cheese still won't meet the goal....). 1g./kg of my weight (normal "reccomendations" ) would mean I need 50g. and here I'm still supposed to double that?

Also: these % don't add up to 100 !!! so what does tht mean if I'm not going over any one of three macros ? That I'm eating air ? or veggies low in carbs ?

The finer points of the game are quite hard to understand. MACROS ARE CONFUSING !!!

I'm vegetarian and on 40/30/30, I hit at least 90g a day without "trying" and go up to my goal of 120g. I'll typically have greek yogurt for breakfast, leftovers or a sandwich for lunch and then lentil lasagne for dinner (or chilli-'non'-carne, or burritos, or eggs, or cottage pie, or risotto, or pasta...) which gets me most of the way, then once you pop in a post workout protein shake and a couple of 'well chosen' snacks (I like babybel light cheese, nuts, nakd bars, hummus) it helps.

Normal recommendation of 1g/kg is pretty low, particularly if you're weight training. Some weight training programs suggest 1g/pound (and there are roughly 2lb in a kilo) so maybe try for 25% and something like 80g if that would make you feel better?
  • lulubeber
    Options
    recap from what everyone has said:

If I am trying to lose fat and gain muscle ( or at least not lose any) though exercise and balanced eating, and if I weigh 116 pounds, I should aim between 80g and 100g protein (not necessarily animal) ? And 100g won't be too much for my (healthy) kidneys ?

thanks for all your help guys