Really? 1200?

Options
Hi! I'm new on the site. Pretty much I've gained ten pounds in the last 5 months and am trying to get back to where I was before, at 120 and hopefully be a lot healthier. MFP tells me that I should only be eating 1200 calories a day, which seems wayyyy to low. Any thoughts? Should I stick with this number or go higher?

Thanks!

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    What did you select as your weight loss goal? If you're only trying to lose 10 pounds, you should set it at 1 pound a week or a half pound a week, no more than that. So if you set it higher than that, you need to adjust your goals, which will allow you to eat more calories.

Also know that this is a net calorie goal, so if you exercise, you have to eat back the calories you burn in exercise.
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    I would think a half a pound per week loss would be fine if you only have 10 to lose. Certainly no more than 1 per week (least that's all I'd do)
  • 123nikki123
    Options
    1200 was low for me...I changed my goals to 1 1/2 pounds a week and was given more calories. Also, if you excercise you "earn" more calories. I found I was cheating on the 1200 because I felt starved. Since I've changed my goals I'm doing much better and not feeling the urge to eat whatever is in sight...lol...good luck!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    What did you select as your weight loss goal? If you're only trying to lose 10 pounds, you should set it at 1 pound a week or a half pound a week, no more than that. So if you set it higher than that, you need to adjust your goals, which will allow you to eat more calories.

Also know that this is a net calorie goal, so if you exercise, you have to eat back the calories you burn in exercise.

I agree.
  • PearlMarie_3gen_11484
    Options
    That is way too low. I would try to eat around 1300-1800 calories. That way it's not a diet it is a life style change. Best of luck to you. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I've never eaten only 1200 calories in a day in my entire life and that's what mine set me to as well.. BUT it's actually pretty crazy when eating the right foods how satisfied you feel. I eat a lot of protein and veggies since joining this and I seriously haven't felt hungry yet. When I was eating like 2200 cals a day on crappy foods that spike the blood sugar, my cravings were through the roof. Just try it for 1 or 2 days and if you feel bad, then yes, up the cals!

Good luck :)
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 40 lbs since January of 2010. I started out at 1200. It might seem low, but it will kick start your loss. If you work out , you are entitled to more calories, but I don't think 1200 calories is THAT bad. It's tough in the beginning since you are used to eating more than that. It won't be like that forever, because as you lose weight, your goals will change, and so will your caloric needs. Drinking ALL of your water will help keep you full, as will eating lots of protein and fiber. 1200 is not starving yourself, but you can alter your weight loss goals if you need more calories to keep you full.
  • kinmizu
    Options
    you could always raise the calorie count by a couple hundred but make it a low carb diet, calorie counting nvr did much for me. i stuck to a 1100 cal a day diet and nvr lost a pound within 3 months, sometimes its just the carbs, so if you havnt tried a carb counted diet than consider greatly. **hint** 35-45 carbs per meal, 4 meals a day. so about 140- 180 carbs per day. Grains hold more carbs usualy, so beans, rice, soy, and breads you defiantly need to watch, but pure dairy products normally have none. for meats try salami, its low on carbs, hope this could help :))
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    you could always raise the calorie count by a couple hundred but make it a low carb diet, calorie counting nvr did much for me. i stuck to a 1100 cal a day diet and nvr lost a pound within 3 months, sometimes its just the carbs, so if you havnt tried a carb counted diet than consider greatly. **hint** 35-45 carbs per meal, 4 meals a day. so about 140- 180 carbs per day. Grains hold more carbs usualy, so beans, rice, soy, and breads you defiantly need to watch, but pure dairy products normally have none. for meats try salami, its low on carbs, hope this could help :))

It wasn't the carbs that were causing you not to lose weight. It was because you were eating way to little. 1100 calories a day is starvation mode level. Your body wasn't burning fat because you weren't giving it enough energy to function, so it was hording all the extra fat it could find. You lose weight because you started eating more.
  • zoeygordon
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone! I think what is making it especially hard for me to eat only 1200 calories a day is because I'm a vegetarian (and limited to the college cafeteria) so I usually end up filling up on high-carb and high calorie foods like pasta and rice, with little protein. I think i'l at least try to stick with that general number for a while, see how it works, and not freak out if i go one or two hundred calories over. Thanks!
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Granted this is based on personal experience, but I definitely feel there is some merit to watching your carb intake. I've found I lose weight about the same rate, (but more body fay on the low carb approach.) I used to eat 1200 a day, but had to up it to 1700 when I started p90x. I never actually did the workouts lol, but I stuck with the diet, which is 30% carbs, and found the weight peeled right off, and saw quicker changes in composition than by watching calories alone.
  • elloradannon
    Options
    I was also at 1200 for a while and then changed mine to 1 lb a week and now I have 1330 which is more reasonable for me. Plus, when I was at 1200, I'd eat 1,100 calories and it would yell at me for not eating enough. I found it difficult to still have that deficit on the days I wasn't working out. Eat LOTS of veggies and fruits- you will feel full and still be low on calories
  • Upanddown
    Upanddown Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I literally just joined the group and I was playing with 1.5 to 2 pounds per week. I had it set at 1.5 but decided to do 2. I figured if I find it too low I can always adjust it....correct? I want to lost 50 pounds by July so I really do need to lose 2 pounds per week.....I'll have to see if I can manage on 1200 a day......lots of meals with lots of veggies to fill me up!! lol