Mind over matter, or just not yet...

Options
NS81
NS81 Posts: 192 Member
I walk quite a bit, and I run/jog in very short bursts, for probably 30 seconds or so - I'm very overweight - I still have ultimately around 100 lbs to lose.

I try to jog - I want to jog - I can't seem to jog.

I've been doing the routine of walking, and throwing in a 30 second jog, then walking some more etc - but I can't seem to jog for longer than the 30 seconds - and I've been doing this routine for at least 2 months now...

My question - Is it just mind over matter at this point? I mean, do I just need to tell myself "quit being a baby, my heart isn't going to burst even though it feels like it, and my legs are not going to seize up and be forever cramped into the fetal position, even though it feels like it" or is it possible that I am physically unable to run/jog more than 30 seconds at this point, and I am expecting too much from my fat suit of a body?

Joking tone, serious question...

Replies

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    So many people get caught up in what they think they should be doing vs. what they can realistically do. Is jogging something you THINK you should be doing or is it really something you WANT to do? Is it something that you enjoy doing or is it something you consider a chore, and that trying to lose weight is a chore?

Yes, in a way, it is mind over matter, but it's also got to be something that's ultimately fun for you to do - something that will give you some sense of joy, pride in achieving a goal for having gone a certain distance.....something.

A hound dog will lay on a nail and bellow until it hurts enough or something else comes along that's finally worth him getting up and off of the nail....until then, it's just bellowing.
  • jessgetsexy
    jessgetsexy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to jog until you are tired and cant go anymore then each time you jog go a little longer. Just gradually build yourself up. Doing the Walk/Jog method is a great way to start! Also download a running app like Nike + Running or Map my Run. That way you can track progress and see how awesome you've gotten. I started running when I was 85 pounds over weight. It definitely helped me shed my weight fast, and honestly it clear my head. My biggest suggestion is Run for Fun, don't take the Fun out of it. Good Luck <3
  • Tla0126
    Tla0126 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Have you tried C25K??? It really breaks down running for you in a manageable way. I was never a runner, but decided to try it last year and I just went out and ran 3 1/2 miles the other day!!! Don't be too hard on yourself and if it's really something you want to do, keep trying!
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Every run I do is to prove my mind wrong -- with the first steps, my mind is telling me just to run up the street and come back home. Once I hit 1 mile... my mind is telling me to turn back around, that's enough or start walking... but I still keep going. Throughout my runs -- there is always that voice in the back of my head making me doubt myself but I try real hard not to listen to it. But sometimes, to be honest, the voice wins and I feel terrible for giving in but I do.

You should set goals when you go on your walks. "Today I'm going to run for 45 seconds." My next walk -- I will run for 50 seconds." Your mind will try to get you at 30 seconds but you just keep pushing.

Good luck to you! :bigsmile:
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a similar walk/jog thing. What my son told me (he's a cross country runner) is to jog for as long as I can and even If I can walk faster than I am jogging to try to stay in the jogging position. It has really increased my leg strength and my ability to jog a bit longer and farther.
    ETA
    Speed does not matter in the beginning.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    For actual method, I'm going to second the C25K program. I used the free app from Zen labs. It got me from your point to running 5 ks (slowly, but still doing it).

But you are right about one thing, running is just as much of a mental workout as it is a physical one. I ran 3.5 miles yesterday, which is my longest run yet. I still have to convince myself that I can keep going at 1 mile. Eventually, adrenaline will kick in and I get into a groove, but some runs are just harder than others.

If you say "I can't do it" you won't do it. Every time I run I actually have to say "I can do this" out loud at least once.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

You should set goals when you go on your walks. "Today I'm going to run for 45 seconds." My next walk -- I will run for 50 seconds." Your mind will try to get you at 30 seconds but you just keep pushing.

Good luck to you! :bigsmile:

I second this.

And yes- it IS mind over matter.

You can improve and it will feel amazing when you do. It's worth the effort.
  • doitforabby
    doitforabby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I can relate for sure. I want to WANT to run :) Very good avice
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    someone said it takes as many calories to cover the distance whether you jog, run, or walk, the only difference is the time it takes to complete the task.

All the best. Keep up the good work
  • Astronomically_Im_Tiny
    Options
    Try this: either go on a treadmill, or look up the topographic maps in your area. If you use the treadmill, instead of trying to run, simply turn up the incline. It has the same cardio effects as running on level ground. Your heart rate will go up, and that is what matters in weight loss. If you are considerably overweight, you wont be putting as much stress on your heart as much as you will your knees. Consider that.

If you take a look at some topographical maps for your area (which can be found at the library, usually, or a maps store), you can find out which paths create the most elevation change, and simply walk in those areas.

Best wishes to ya!
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    when I started running, I would make a realistic plan (or route) for that particular run and I would not deviate from it. Now I deviate from my planned route frequently, what is a couple of extra miles!! :) It took me time to get to this point and even now the most difficult part of my run is the first mile or two. I would look at your speed as most people starting out run too fast. Slow your pace down and then set a goal for that particular run. It could be something simple as, "I'm going to pick up the pace till I reach that stop sign." Catch your breath and do it again, playing with how fast your going. Good luck and stay the course, the first steps of the journey are the hardest!!
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    someone said it takes as many calories to cover the distance whether you jog, run, or walk, the only difference is the time it takes to complete the task.

This is NOT true.
  • NS81
    NS81 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the wonderful advice! I'm planning to keep at it, I think when I eventually get there, I'll love it - I'm just frustrated right now with the lack of progress I think. I'm looking up apps as we speak - Thanks again - you all rock! :drinker: