Exercise Calories

Options
Wondering.....if I do a DVD (say 30 Day Shred) I burn about 200 calories in half an hour, but if I do elliptical at the gym for the same amount of time, I burn 377 (or so). Is it better to do elliptical, as I burn more or as long as I get some workout in, that is alright? I seem to think the higher burn is better, but not sure physiologically if there is really a difference? Dumb question, yeah. I hope to work out 6 days a week, so maybe it will even out in the end.....Right now, I did gym once a week and DVDs 2 or 3 times a week. Hmm....

Replies

• aysegul2
    Options
    I think consistency is important. When I do the same thing to burn more calorie over and over, I am developing aversion towards that exercise. For me variety helps to keep it up. I think you are doing great by doing both.
  • Shannonk507
    Shannonk507 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I appreciate it. :)
  • purplepanda
    purplepanda Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think it's good to have a variety of exercises. Sometimes you need a lighter day to allow your body to recoup from a stronger workout. A variety of exercises will also help your body not get too used to a routine which could cause a plateauing effect. I like to have some days where I get in a lot of aerobic exercises where I burn more calories and other days where I don't get as many calories burned but get in some good strength training to build muscle strength
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Most exercise machine readouts aren't very accurate. Depending on the brand, type of machine and what info you input (age, weight, etc.) they can generally be off by 15-30%. Meaning, they overestimate your calorie burn. So an exercise dvd that has you working your whole body may actually be giving you a better workout and a higher calorie burn than an exercise machine.
  • bounce0033
    Options
    I am going to purchase a HRM so I can get an accurate calorie burn. I try to mix up my workouts. It is amazing what you can find on youtube and the web (livestrong.com/fitness).
  • RogerParrish
    Options
    Personally, I like to walk. I walk in Balboa Park in San Diego. I walk at about 3MPH and I usually walk 5-6 miles each weekday. As an example, today's walk of 6.5 miles netted me available I-Phone apps. Hope this helps you. Good luck!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I also don't entirely trust the exercise machine number for calories burnt, ı will buy a heart rate monitor as I think I would trust that more. Whatever exercise you are doing is helping, by the way, don't forget that! Sometimes we can get impatient to see results.

And I believe variety is the key, change up your routine, muscles have memory, and they say it takes less than 2 weeks for your body to get used to a workout program, so I wouldn't worry about being too consistent.

Good luck!