WOW SODIUM!!!

Options
So i have been here for almost a week ( yay) and it's been SUCH a help, and SUCH an eye opener. I have about 20 lbs to lose and my calories/carbs/fats seem to be satisfying me ( i think because i am choosing the right foods so i dont get cravings)...but today i decided you know what, I'll add SODIUM to my daily logging..and WOW was i shocked...I didnt realize how much sodium was in food (maybe im niave)...anyway.....i was almost 400 g OVER on sodium intake today...and wondering...im obviously going to be more concious of this....should i expect NOT to have a loss from the sodium intake this week, or do you think I'll still be able to lose?!

I havent weighed in yet, i will sunday, because in the past i would get almost obsessed and weigh myself multiple times daily!!

AHHH_ Sorry for the long post.....

POINT: Will that extra 300-400 g of sodium defeat my diet :( ?

Replies

• SkinnyScripty
    Options
    From what I've noticed you will experience a loss if your calorie intake was good and your sodium was kept low for a few days before weigh in, one or two days high sodium wont hurt before that, but as you realised it now, it shouldn't make a difference. Good luck!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It's only millgrams of sodium, not grams, so it doesn't actually hold any real weight. The best way to combat high sodium (other than eating less of it of course) is to drink a lot of water. I'm almost always over on my sodium, but the water helps to flush it from my system, so I don't retain any additional water weight.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    It's only millgrams of sodium, not grams, so it doesn't actually hold any real weight. The best way to combat high sodium (other than eating less of it of course) is to drink a lot of water. I'm almost always over on my sodium, but the water helps to flush it from my system, so I don't retain any additional water weight.
    Don't forget Cardio!!! :-D Help flush it away!
  • StephieAmber
    Options
    Since you just started, you're probably picking better, more wholesome, foods than you would have, say last week. So your sodium intake is probably already less than what you would have had before. I think you will still see a loss this week.

However, with that said, now that you know how much sodium is in processed food, the more you watch it, the healthier you'll be.

I too struggle with trying to keep my sodium low. I have mine set to 1500mg/day and that means I almost exclusively eat whole, clean foods. There is sodium in everything but it's definitely manageable.

Glad your first week was a success. I wish you much luck in your health goals :D
  • Darlis
    Darlis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Just watch the sodium and drink lots of water....it will flush the sodium from your system, and you should still see results.
  • JRIV60
    JRIV60 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    It is funny you mention this because I just added sodium to my tracking and I believe that the more sodium you ingest the more water weight you will retain (at least for me). Just an analysis of this past week - I lowered my sodium intake (within my goal) this week and I have lost 2lbs. I started MFP 2 weeks ago and I am sure sodium may be a contributor to no weight loss last week.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Since you just started, you're probably picking better, more wholesome, foods than you would have, say last week. So your sodium intake is probably already less than what you would have had before. I think you will still see a loss this week.

However, with that said, now that you know how much sodium is in processed food, the more you watch it, the healthier you'll be.

I too struggle with trying to keep my sodium low. I have mine set to 1500mg/day and that means I almost exclusively eat whole, clean foods. There is sodium in everything but it's definitely manageable.

Glad your first week was a success. I wish you much luck in your health goals :D
    Excellent point! The NEW choices and habits you are making are probably a huge improvement already! Start there.
    I also eat mostly clean and focus on wholesome foods. MOST days I have NO Problem staying below my 2500.
    Sodium is in natural things too, but that is on purpose. Your body needs SOME sodium, it helps avoid cramping and actually enhances your natural hydration... UNLESS it is consumed in excess- like most people.

Just pay attention to it and it will get easier to manage as you make new habits with your eating choices. :-D
    I do not believe that 400mg will make much of a difference... unless that 400mg keeps multiplying each day! ;) But you will be fine! hehe
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I watch my sodium on here b/c it is a killer to weight loss. It makes you bloat and retain a lot of water. Drink a lot of water to get some of it out of ur system.
  • Fgillies
    Fgillies Posts: 194
    Options

**oops, i Meant mg not grams!

and thanks everyone, There were a lot of valid points, i know already that compared to last week my sodium intake HAS to be down..and the water and cardio are a check, i drink plenty of water and ive been doing at least 30 minutes of cardio everyday!!

Thanks again :)
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    sounds great! keep it up and GOOD LUCK! :)